shape
carat
color
clarity

This reset looks weird and I am not sure what to do

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
Some time ago I had my yellow diamond removed from my old setting and reset it. My old setting was just hanging around, and I found an emerald to go in it that luckily had almost the same measurements as the diamond. I was worried that it would not be doable to put a stone in my old setting, and I sent detailed photos to the jeweler who said it was doable. I wanted to keep the bezel setting. The jeweler contacted me and said the stone was sitting up too high when they were trying to do the bezel and would prongs be ok. I said yes. Like I said I was worried that the old setting might be unusable and when I first approached the jeweler I said whichever could be best done whether it be prongs or bezel. He said there would still be a faux bezel so that was great for me.

Anyway I got the pictures today and I'm worried. Firstly, the emerald doesn't look saturated. I am really hoping this is just the photography, because surely they wouldn't clean an emerald with an ultrasonic or anything right? The other thing is the side view. It has what looks to be holes or something in the gold and just looks strange. So I'm super worried about that as well.

I wrote and asked about these things and I am waiting to hear a response but thought I would bounce it off the forum as well. Like what can be done to fix that bezel and the holes? In looking at the empty setting, should it have even been attempted to put another stone in there and re-use it?

Pics of empty setting, of the color of the emerald, and the weird holes in bezel thing:

image0.jpeg image2.jpeg

This is when I got the emerald and the stone is just loose in the setting but it's a really pretty green. However, it's not a fancy no-oil; it's commercial grade so again I am worried it got cleaned or something. I really hope it's just the photography which makes things a bit more washed out looking:

IMG_7161 (1) (1).jpg

Glamour picture where it doesn't look so green (again hoping it's just photo)

DKPV2021___04__21____Megan____Megan.jpg

Glamour picture where you see the weird holes in the bezel part:
DKPV2021___04__21____Megan____Megan-4.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im hoping for the best for you
maybe someone with my 'talent' for photography took the picture

but just wanted to say what a lovelly setting
no wonder you wanted to reuse it and the emerald should look great

Fingers crossed for you all is well

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure I’d worry about the color of the emerald just yet. The lighting is completely different and it isn’t a hand shot so that may explain it. Perhaps ask them about it or ask for a hand shot.
As for the weird holes, I don’t know what that is so I’d definitely ask about that.
Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
I’m not sure I’d worry about the color of the emerald just yet. The lighting is completely different and it isn’t a hand shot so that may explain it. Perhaps ask them about it or ask for a hand shot.
As for the weird holes, I don’t know what that is so I’d definitely ask about that.
Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Yes I asked for a video. And I did ask about the holes too. :confused2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im.99% sure they would not have put your stone in the ultrasonic or otherwise harmed it from cleaning it

i have brought (too much) jewlery from the mall jewler and they know not to put an emerald in there

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hard to tell with lighting differences, but I think the emerald is probably okay. They are notorious for being hard to photograph- and it's got full light trained on it in the glamour so you'll clearly see every speck of jardin. The thinning and poke through for the bezel is a different issue and should be fixed, I'm guessing they took metal when they couldn't make the bezel work and just didn't pay attention to detail. They could either bore that out under the thin rim or if you want to keep the full little collar, rebuild it. I'm curious to see what they say about it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry but The jeweller has done an awful job.
There shouldn’t be “gaps/ holes” in the yellow gold half bezel surround. The lengths between each prong should be both straight looking down and solid looking side on.
Also looking down the prongs look uneven / lumpy.
Have a look at the underside.
when you had the setting empty, there was a substantial yellow gold cup underneath. Has this cup been reduced / removed? That would explain why your emerald now looks less vivid / more see though.
And emeralds shouldn’t go in pickling solution or in an ultrasonic machine AND don’t like the jewellers torch (laser is ok).

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
Sorry but The jeweller has done an awful job.
There shouldn’t be “gaps/ holes” in the yellow gold half bezel surround. The lengths between each prong should be both straight looking down and solid looking side on.
Also looking down the prongs look uneven / lumpy.
Have a look at the underside.
when you had the setting empty, there was a substantial yellow gold cup underneath. Has this cup been reduced / removed? That would explain why your emerald now looks less vivid / more see though.
And emeralds shouldn’t go in pickling solution or in an ultrasonic machine AND don’t like the jewellers torch (laser is ok).

So I just got another photo and the good thing is that the studio light made the color look lighter so the color looks normal. That I am glad of. I will post that photo below.

It had not been in any type of solution or ultrasonic, I was told. I didn't think so and hoped it was just the lighting, but wanted to confirm so that was confirmed.

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
Here is a screenshot from a video I was sent, so the color is good and it was in fact the studio lighting. I figured that was the case but had just wanted to make sure.

View recent photos (8).png

As for the the gaps, I was told he could close them up. I'm headed for bed so I will write him back in the morning.

This is a PS favorite, DK, so just a bit surprised about those gaps. I will update everyone. Thank you for your replies.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a screenshot from a video I was sent, so the color is good and it was in fact the studio lighting. I figured that was the case but had just wanted to make sure.

As for the the gaps, I was told he could close them up. I'm headed for bed so I will write him back in the morning.

This is a PS favorite, DK, so just a bit surprised about those gaps. I will update everyone. Thank you for your replies.

The emerald looks super pretty in this setting!

The workmanship is yikes. But that emerald is :kiss2:. So happy to hear you are able to reuse the old setting. Your new stone fits great!

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
Well I feel like I am going crazy. When I asked DK about it, and showed him this picture with red arrows pointed to the problem:

image0 (1).jpeg

He wrote back saying he doesn't think the holes have anything to do with the bezel, and have always been there and he thinks they let light in but he would close them up if I wanted him to. He then showed a video of the ring just flipping it back and forth and I realize that he is thinking (I hope anyway) of the purposeful design of the holes in the WHITE gold. It is super weird. So I wrote again and this time I circled in red, instead of using arrows:

ring emerald .jpg

and then explained again. But wow, is it that hard to notice the problem??? Like this is DK we are talking about who makes amazing things. Again, have I gone mad?

1650665221915.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well I feel like I am going crazy. When I asked DK about it, and showed him this picture with red arrows pointed to the problem:

image0 (1).jpeg

He wrote back saying he doesn't think the holes have anything to do with the bezel, and have always been there and he thinks they let light in but he would close them up if I wanted him to. He then showed a video of the ring just flipping it back and forth and I realize that he is thinking (I hope anyway) of the purposeful design of the holes in the WHITE gold. It is super weird. So I wrote again and this time I circled in red, instead of using arrows:

ring emerald .jpg

and then explained again. But wow, is it that hard to notice the problem??? Like this is DK we are talking about who makes amazing things. Again, have I gone mad?

1650665221915.png

Nope, not mad- It's right there. I still think it happened when they were cutting it down and adding the prongs. I would have him either remove it totally or rebuild it as a rim. What would you prefer?

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
Nope, not mad- It's right there. I still think it happened when they were cutting it down and adding the prongs. I would have him either remove it totally or rebuild it as a rim. What would you prefer?

Rebuild is my preference because from what I can tell, it's normal on the other sides (from other photos and videos I have seen).

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
Haven't heard a reply from the last message I sent so I don't expect to hear anything until Mon since it's the weekend :( I'm just really disappointed that someone could look over the piece, take photos and tell me it's ready to ship and not notice what to me is a glaring flaw. Sorry everyone just have to vent a little here.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It probably isn't noticeable IRL and if so, I can see how it was missed as he doesn't make the pieces himself. However, not sure how he missed it in your photos with the arrows but as you suggested, maybe his eyes just went to the gaps on the WG.

Let's see how he handles it. My one experience is that he does take the time to make the piece right for the customer.

I've learned the hard way not to put any vendor on a pedestal...even though they have more experience, no one catches everything and they don't always see/look for things you may (not to mention they have their aesthetic/taste which at times may not be yours). And they have many projects going. It is how they handle situations like this is what separates the best vendors from the pack. My understanding is that David has a reputation for getting it right. So fingers crossed.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,
Some time ago I had my yellow diamond removed from my old setting and reset it. My old setting was just hanging around, and I found an emerald to go in it that luckily had almost the same measurements as the diamond. I was worried that it would not be doable to put a stone in my old setting, and I sent detailed photos to the jeweler who said it was doable. I wanted to keep the bezel setting. The jeweler contacted me and said the stone was sitting up too high when they were trying to do the bezel and would prongs be ok. I said yes. Like I said I was worried that the old setting might be unusable and when I first approached the jeweler I said whichever could be best done whether it be prongs or bezel. He said there would still be a faux bezel so that was great for me.

Anyway I got the pictures today and I'm worried. Firstly, the emerald doesn't look saturated. I am really hoping this is just the photography, because surely they wouldn't clean an emerald with an ultrasonic or anything right? The other thing is the side view. It has what looks to be holes or something in the gold and just looks strange. So I'm super worried about that as well.

I wrote and asked about these things and I am waiting to hear a response but thought I would bounce it off the forum as well. Like what can be done to fix that bezel and the holes? In looking at the empty setting, should it have even been attempted to put another stone in there and re-use it?

Pics of empty setting, of the color of the emerald, and the weird holes in bezel thing:

image0.jpeg image2.jpeg

This is when I got the emerald and the stone is just loose in the setting but it's a really pretty green. However, it's not a fancy no-oil; it's commercial grade so again I am worried it got cleaned or something. I really hope it's just the photography which makes things a bit more washed out looking:

IMG_7161 (1) (1).jpg

Glamour picture where it doesn't look so green (again hoping it's just phoGlamour picture where you see the weird holes in the bezel part:
DKPV2021___04__21____Megan____Megan-4.jpg

Is that the same stone? The picture
Haven't heard a reply from the last message I sent so I don't expect to hear anything until Mon since it's the weekend :( I'm just really disappointed that someone could look over the piece, take photos and tell me it's ready to ship and not notice what to me is a glaring flaw. Sorry everyone just have to vent a little here.

DK probably has people working for him and may not do all of the work himself. The prongs do look lumpy and where the prongs were added does not appear smooth. The fact that no one noticed the holes in one section of the bezel as well as lumps at the base of the prongs indicates a lack of quality control!!!

From your pics of the empty setting it's obvious there were no holes in the bezel.

I'd be unhappy with the shoddy work and customer service!!! :oops::cry2:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

No no, you are not going mad. DK did the same thing to me.

You need to be firm and make sure he does a proper job.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
No no, you are not going mad. DK did the same thing to me.

You need to be firm and make sure he does a proper job.

Maybe DK isn't aware of the adage, The customer is always right...

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe DK isn't aware of the adage, The customer is always right...

The customer is not always right; I am reasonable.

The facts are always right, especially if it is concrete and right before his eyes and he can touch and feel it. I would not always count on lighting being at fault.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update he wrote back and says he's making a new cup :)

I think reworking jewelry settings is sometimes like getting into walls when you renovate a house. You never know what you will find, and what it will take to do the job ‘right’.
That’s not excusing holes in the yellow gold where the existing metal was stretched too thin to make the new design, being ‘ok’. Naked eye visible or not.

Beautiful ring!

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
Hopefully the new cup will fix this problem too, I see that the it's crooked, up higher on right side
emerald_LI.jpg

I am thinking that is the side with holes...and yes hopefully the new cup will solve everything :)

Cecelovesjewels

Rough_Rock
I think reworking jewelry settings is sometimes like getting into walls when you renovate a house. You never know what you will find, and what it will take to do the job ‘right’.
That’s not excusing holes in the yellow gold where the existing metal was stretched too thin to make the new design, being ‘ok’. Naked eye visible or not.

Beautiful ring!

Yes like I said I didn't even know if the setting would be salvageable at all. Fingers crossed round 2 works well.

Woohoo! Happy to hear it's looking much better. Can't wait to see the pics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results