shape
carat
color
clarity

This might be the diamond, can I get your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
We are still searching for the right diamond. I thought we had it settled between two diamonds at Whiteflash, but then I was presented with this 3rd option by another source. It seems intriguing, what do you all think?

AGA Ideal 0
G SI2 (completely eye-clean, the seller is not sure why AGA graded it as SI2)
Girdle MD-Slightly thick
1.02 carats
62d
54T
34.8 crown
40.7 pavillion angle
culet pointed
negligible flouresc.
Polish & Symmetry both ideal
Zeros for all three cut grades
6.43 x 6.47x3.99
$4650

I ran this through HCA and it seems to be a winner .... I am told there are no surface inclusions, and have seen the AGA report. The report shows absolutely nothing on the face of the stone, and the bottom looks like it has two very small feathers (this is the first AGA cert I have seen, so hopefully I am reading that right).

The other two options were with Whiteflash (see my post yesterday), and had very thin-med girdles but also both scored 1.3 on HCA. We were thinking that a med.-slightly thick girdle would be better for the tension mounting. But then, if it's an SI2 stone we may not be able to have it tension mounted. The inclusions on the cert. look better than the VS2 & SI1 that we were originally considering! Both of those had many scattered small things, not visible to naked eye but still there. How can that be "better" in grade than an SI2 with just two very tiny feathers?

Thanks for any input you can provide .... This forum is really amazing, I have learned so much just in the last 2 weeks! (yes I was lurking ... sorrry 'bout that, but I *will* post pics of the completed project!)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All 3 look tops..., please dont break your head about their clarities and why they got such grades..., it is usually based on profesional opinions after years of practise...

Like i said, they all look amazing as far as their paperwork is concern, go with your hunch...

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your response! I do think I am making myself nutty over what is probably minute differences. One of the biggest differences is price .... this 3rd diamond is about $400 less than the 1.04 carat H/SI1 from Whiteflash, which is also just a touch larger in surface area .... but how big of a difference can there really be between 1.022 and 1.04!! However, that $400 can go a long way towards a custom setting.

My mind is reeling from all the choices, and I think we just have to either purchase one of the two faves or give it a day or two to ponder. BTW, the 3rd diamond is at Quest ... I am already impressed with their follow through. Whiteflash and Quest both seem to have an amazing level of customer service, I don't think we can go wrong either way. I have to say that they have made me happy about diamond shopping again! Mental note ... next time skip the Scottsdale AZ jewelers ....
9.gif

Thanks again!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to compare how big different carat weights will look to you, compare their diameters in millimeters. This third diamond is about 6.45 mm wide. How wide were the other two (not that I think it''ll be noticeable at all)?

Go with the one you like. This third diamond is a bit too deep for my tastes, but if it speaks to you, and it''s a good price, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results