shape
carat
color
clarity

This may be dangerous...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do not worry about what others think of your ring. You don’t worry about what they think of your home, car, work and etc, correct? It was chosen with care and good intentions so wear it proudly.

Should you one day in the future find any “flaws”, it’s time for an upgrade.
11.gif
Nah, I was just kidding.
9.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 1:33:22 PM
Author: gingersnap

Biggest fear being here (here being the forum)? That I will learn things that will make me less appreciative of my e-ring. However, the design of the ring is *very* much my style (low profile, very unobtrusive in day to day life, fiance and I picked it out together, sentimental value...) so perhaps I will develop a blind eye to the flaws of the stone :razz: I think a blind eye in this matter is something I will need to aquire. Makes me nervous to post a picture of it here! Hah!
I won''t lie: this might happen. It did to me, for a while. I stepped away from the forums for a couple of months (at the time I was mostly a lurker so I doubt anyone else noticed anyway, not that they necessarily would now...), paid more attention to the rings that I actually saw in everyday life, and realized that, you know, mine was really nice.

And the thing about the Colored Stones subforum, which I think can get a little bit lost sometimes in a couple of the others, is that the posters here are very much appreciative of the little things that make stones unique and special. It''s easier to feel okay about liking stones that have some flaws. If you happen to like gems that have some gray in their color, or show interesting zoning, or have cool inclusions, that is 100% fine. Whereas if you like warmer-colored diamonds, people will generally say "oh that''s fine if it''s your thing" but there''ll be three dozen posts a day implicitly saying that tinted diamonds are baaaaddd and, at best, a compromise to save some money. In CS it''s much easier to just like what you like without having to swim against a constant stream of lock-step thinking about what makes a "good" stone.

So if ever you do start to feel that way about your e-ring, even a little bit, it''s okay and normal. And it will pass. Just reflect on how much it means to you and how special it is, and how beautiful that individual, unique gem really is.
1.gif

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 9:08:37 AM
Author: Liane

I won''t lie: this might happen. It did to me, for a while. I stepped away from the forums for a couple of months (at the time I was mostly a lurker so I doubt anyone else noticed anyway, not that they necessarily would now...), paid more attention to the rings that I actually saw in everyday life, and realized that, you know, mine was really nice.

And the thing about the Colored Stones subforum, which I think can get a little bit lost sometimes in a couple of the others, is that the posters here are very much appreciative of the little things that make stones unique and special. It''s easier to feel okay about liking stones that have some flaws. If you happen to like gems that have some gray in their color, or show interesting zoning, or have cool inclusions, that is 100% fine. Whereas if you like warmer-colored diamonds, people will generally say ''oh that''s fine if it''s your thing'' but there''ll be three dozen posts a day implicitly saying that tinted diamonds are baaaaddd and, at best, a compromise to save some money. In CS it''s much easier to just like what you like without having to swim against a constant stream of lock-step thinking about what makes a ''good'' stone.

So if ever you do start to feel that way about your e-ring, even a little bit, it''s okay and normal. And it will pass. Just reflect on how much it means to you and how special it is, and how beautiful that individual, unique gem really is.
1.gif

How perfectly stated!

I have a few rings from family that I never wear, mostly because I''m just not much of a jewelry person (but LOVE admiring pretty colored stones) and realized more that the little imperfections or cool looking inclusions are sometimes what make a so-so stone really unique.

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 8:46:04 AM
Author: Chrono
Do not worry about what others think of your ring. You don’t worry about what they think of your home, car, work and etc, correct? It was chosen with care and good intentions so wear it proudly.

11.gif
Nah, I was just kidding.
9.gif
It''s almost like uploading a picture of my car to a car enthusiast forum. I like my car just fine, but it doesn''t exactly belong on an enthusiast forum.

I posted a picture of my ring anyway, because unlike cars, gems are all about the visual. And I''m in love with the setting (and yes, i love my stone too
1.gif
) and I''m sure someone else might like to see the setting as well as I haven''t seen anything like it here yet. I''ll still be nervous about it, but as you may have seen I let myself be nervous about a number of things.

As for upgrades... I like the idea of "additions" rather than... replacements
2.gif

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 9:08:37 AM
Author: Liane

Date: 12/15/2009 1:33:22 PM

Biggest fear being here (here being the forum)? That I will learn things that will make me less appreciative of my e-ring. However, the design of the ring is *very* much my style (low profile, very unobtrusive in day to day life, fiance and I picked it out together, sentimental value...) so perhaps I will develop a blind eye to the flaws of the stone :razz: I think a blind eye in this matter is something I will need to aquire. Makes me nervous to post a picture of it here! Hah!

And the thing about the Colored Stones subforum, which I think can get a little bit lost sometimes in a couple of the others, is that the posters here are very much appreciative of the little things that make stones unique and special. It''s easier to feel okay about liking stones that have some flaws. If you happen to like gems that have some gray in their color, or show interesting zoning, or have cool inclusions, that is 100% fine. Whereas if you like warmer-colored diamonds, people will generally say ''oh that''s fine if it''s your thing'' but there''ll be three dozen posts a day implicitly saying that tinted diamonds are baaaaddd and, at best, a compromise to save some money. In CS it''s much easier to just like what you like without having to swim against a constant stream of lock-step thinking about what makes a ''good'' stone.

1.gif
Woah, that''s a very nice message
1.gif
I shall take it to heart. I do tend to get critical of things, so I was kind of concerned. So when it happens I''ll just take a step back and just pay attention to what I''m seeing rather than what I know.

Acceptable (even desired) flaws is one of the things that is turning me on to emeralds. But that''s a dangerous path, and I shall follow it later
1.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 10:54:57 AM

11.gif
Nah, I was just kidding.
9.gif

It''s almost like uploading a picture of my car to a car enthusiast forum. I like my car just fine, but it doesn''t exactly belong on an enthusiast forum.

I posted a picture of my ring anyway, because unlike cars, gems are all about the visual. And I''m in love with the setting (and yes, i love my stone too
1.gif
) and I''m sure someone else might like to see the setting as well as I haven''t seen anything like it here yet. I''ll still be nervous about it, but as you may have seen I let myself be nervous about a number of things.

As for upgrades... I like the idea of ''additions'' rather than... replacements
2.gif

I think its more than just about the visual. Its also about, at least for me, seeing the way people relate to their gems and the feelings they have for their pieces. This isn''t just a car, this is your e-ring! It stands for something and it tells us something about you!!

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 11:10:09 AM
Author: Novel

Date: 12/17/2009 10:54:57 AM

11.gif
Nah, I was just kidding.
9.gif

1.gif

As for upgrades... I like the idea of ''additions'' rather than... replacements
2.gif

I think its more than just about the visual. Its also about, at least for me, seeing the way people relate to their gems and the feelings they have for their pieces. This isn''t just a car, this is your e-ring! It stands for something and it tells us something about you!!
Heh, i did post it
3.gif
if I really had felt it wasn''t appropriate I wouldn''t have. I love seeing everyone else''s jewelry, especially the reasons of why they went for what. And then the settings... very cool. The car thing is just an analogy to explain the nervousness.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think there is anything wrong with over time developing one''s eye and realizizing that the e-ring stone isn''t necessarily what that person would buy now that 1-that person has learned more re color stones and/or 2-can now afford a better stone.

i see nothing wrong with upgrading one''s e-ring over time JUST AS MANY DO WITH DIAMOND e-rings.

i would also point out that most color stone consumers have no idea what constitutes a good stone v. a fine stone and any flaws/imperfections you may eventually see with your stone will never even be noticed by the average person.

but most important of all is the symbol that stone represents...........and that never changes regardless of the development of one''s eye through education.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results