No words :cry2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The world has gone mad.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
The world has gone mad.

You are so right. I have always been a ”news junkie” but can’t even watch any news now. There just doesn’t seem to be an end in sight to all of the hatred, violence and destruction. I’ve become an “ ostrich “ ,burying my head in a book instead of the sand. It’ s just my way of coping.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With rolling news and social media, I think everyone today needs to learn the skill of drawing imaginary boundaries between their own lives and the things going on in the word. It's an art form that previous generations didn't have to learn. I think it's essential, though. I do look at the news, because I really want to know what's going on and to feel connected, but ruminating too much on terrible things that you can do nothing about is at best a waste of life, and at worst will drive you crazy. I read analysis in the broadsheet press because I find it stimulating and it helps me to understand, and it takes my mind off other things. But the way I see it, trouble will find me on a personal level - as it has, and will do again in the future, in the form of inherited illness - so I refuse to give my whole life and mental health to the world. I don't know about others, but I feel that we've almost come to the point where you're seen as shallow or unintelligent if you express happiness or joy or positivity. As if it's wrong to be happy when these things are going on. I feel it was that way before Ukraine and Hamas as well.

Maybe we could share some ideas about how to keep some happiness for yourself. Mine:

Reese Witherspoon said that painting by numbers is very engrossing and relaxing, so I ordered a kit.​
I collect American Girl dolls, and I take funny photos of them, and change their clothes, and cuddle them. I look at their kind, patient little faces and feel love and contentment. :)
I watch comedy.​
I read books about things that have nothing to do with current events, whether fiction, history, or biography. I do crosswords and the NYT spelling bee.​
I reflect A LOT on all the many, many positives of my life and all the good luck I've had. (Had some really bad luck as well, but I don't dwell on that.)​
I remember how incredibly lucky I am to be alive and healthy. I truly feel like that, as there is so much illness in my family.​
Anyone else have ideas? I know exercise is a feel-good thing too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jambalaya, in the fall of 2020, stuck at home and bored, I ordered some nice quality colored pencils and some adult coloring books.
If anyone had told me I'd be coloring, as an adult, I would have laughed my head off at the thought. And yet, you know, it's actually relaxing.

From there I went on to buy more/different art supplies and branched out. I'm still no artist but I do enjoy myself, it is still relaxing, and the colors make me happy. There are some great watercolor tutorials on YouTube.

My late father took up painting in his retirement; I have some of his paintings hanging now in my house.

So, yeah-- creative pursuits are a great way to unplug from all the bad news, and learning new skills is good for our brains as we age.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I have to turn off the news. My dreams are morbid, and I need to look away but at the same time want to know what’s going on. I used to be an avid reader, but my attention span has shortened. I have been watching Columbo reruns, but now, I’ve see them all……

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'e watching Bones, which we never saw the first time around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results