shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking patterns - are you linear, or a spider's web?

Are you a linear thinker or a spiderweb spinner?

• I think in an orderly fashion - concrete and linear

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Everything is attached to other things, I spin webs, I am a relational thinker

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • Huh?

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have to give a big speech in about a week. I am supposed to have this done tomorrow by 11AM. I am surrounded by legal pads with scribble. I am procrastinating.
Anyhoo.

The older I get the more I realize my brain is good at puzzles, at nebulous patterns, at all the things and how they are tied together. If you pull on one concept, I see everything move that is tied to it. It makes me good at my job as a data nerd. I can "see" the things so easily, but putting them into words almost hurts. I completely suck at linear thought and even worse at articulating on a linear plane. It's very hard to see one part of a concept without dragging along all the extra information. My speech is moving along very slowly. It's going to be a long night. I have to talk about nerd things to a non-nerd crowd at a 30,000 ft level. Agh thanks for listening. I won't be back til....later to reply back.

Tell me about you? How do you think?

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I think everyone does both, but some people have a greater talent for seeing implications and consequences than others. I think that is more difficult than just doing step my step stuff. Eg. a complex financial model requires a number of assumptions to be considered and a variety of inputs, whereas a simple one is essentially a step by step calculation.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
:mrgreen2:

My mind is like a mad woman's sh#t most days
No rhyme or reason
Other half finds it very frustrating
My mother in law would have said " No method"

Me thinks I am just tired. Mushy brained and trying to fight through it.
No use...I give up! Off to bed I go.

Dear Daisy, you're a delight and I would not change a hair on your head.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont think.
I just release my brain on the problem and the answer comes.

Like answering here, if its a long answer that is how it came out it will not be in perfect English and the spelling will need spell check because my brain dont work that way but I just let my brain go. Thinking gets in the way of thought.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think everyone does both, but some people have a greater talent for seeing implications and consequences than others. I think that is more difficult than just doing step my step stuff. Eg. a complex financial model requires a number of assumptions to be considered and a variety of inputs, whereas a simple one is essentially a step by step calculation.

My speech is about data and how we use it to impact homelessness. Oh my word, from a systems perspective, training perspective, quality perspective, capacity limits, outcomes. There are different agencies that do different things and all are just a part of a complicated data ecosystem. Add back end stuff on how the data is captured by me, pivoted, massaged, questioned. All of this cosmos is tied into input and output. These bits and parts in a whole. My brain just whirls to pick a spot.

Thanks for your answer. I see you were able to get what I was trying to ask.
It's so funny how my boss takes a completely different high level view and I see all the things.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure...

I'm an INFJ and see patterns that I need to make sense of, but when there's a lot going on I progress step by step.

Hmmm.

INTP/INTJ here. I think with some sleep I will be clearer...I hope :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My speech is about data and how we use it for impact homelessness. Oh my word, from a systems perspective, training perspective, quality perspective, capacity. There are different agencies that do different things and all are just a part of a complicated data ecosystem. Add by back end stuff on how the data is captured by me, pivoted, massaged, questioned. All are tied into input and output. These bits and parts in a whole. My brain just whirls to pick a spot.

Thanks for your answer. I see you were able to get what I was trying to ask.
It's so funny how my boss takes a completely different high level view and I see all the things.
Ah I worked on an early version of one of the homeless tracking software.
I think the entire thing is a violation of their constitutional rights so I quit.
I dont think that will help your paper any.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I have to give a big speech in about a week. I am supposed to have this done tomorrow by 11AM. I am surrounded by legal pads with scribble. I am procrastinating.
Anyhoo.

The older I get the more I realize my brain is good at puzzles, at nebulous patterns, at all the things and how they are tied together. If you pull on one concept, I see everything move that is tied to it. It makes me good at my job as a data nerd. I can "see" the things so easily, but putting them into words almost hurts. I completely suck at linear thought and even worse at articulating on a linear plane. It's very hard to see one part of a concept without dragging along all the extra information. My speech is moving along very slowly. It's going to be a long night. I have to talk about nerd things to a non-nerd crowd at a 30,000 ft level. Agh thanks for listening. I won't be back til....later to reply back.

For someone who can't put thoughts into words, you're very articulate.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Ah I worked on an early version of one of the homeless tracking software.
I think the entire thing is a violation of their constitutional rights so I quit.
I dont think that will help your paper any.

That's such a topic right there! I'll be back with rested brain. And nope, won't help that paper much!
Yes, you know my world.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's such a topic right there! I'll be back with rested brain. And nope, won't help that paper much!
Yes, you know my world.
I am sorry that was rude of me.
Its the honest reaction I have when I think about it but you were reaching for support and that was not fair of me.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that was rude of me.
Its the honest reaction I have when I think about it but you were reaching for support and that was not fair of me.

Actually not at rude in my view. It's an interesting topic that is attached to the use of data to improve systems. There are positives and negatives with everything. I totally get it. I don't take it personally.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I was discussing data this is how I would start :}
With a lot of data you can find possible answers to complex questions.

The challenge is to ask the right questions in the right way with the right criteria to get a useful answer.

As an example if you ran a hardware store knowing you have a million bolts of various sizes in stock is kind of neat to know but it does not help you to know if you have the one your customer at your counter needs in stock. It is a valid question but one of little value.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I am a combination of the two I lean more towards structure and linear thinking. I believe this is also referred to a being a target thinker.

I like to look at all angles to ultimately make the best decision. I enjoy making checklists and seeing it from all perspectives.

I start with the bigger picture. I ask questions to hone in on the real issue, analyze the possible solutions, and then hit my target so to speak.

But I am a bit of both because I do this quickly whereas many target thinkers are slow and deliberate. So while I am thorough in my thought process I don't take super long to get to where I need to be.

ETA: Just asked Greg and he said I am definitely a spider thinker because I think in many different directions. He said he is a target thinker. Oy to the vey. IDK what I am now. I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. :twirl:

So NM IDK what I am. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I changed my vote to both. Greg is right.

But shhh don't let him know that. :shhh:

Good luck with your speech next week @moneymeister!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I dont think.
I just release my brain on the problem and the answer comes.

Like answering here, if its a long answer that is how it came out it will not be in perfect English and the spelling will need spell check because my brain dont work that way but I just let my brain go. Thinking gets in the way of thought.

LOL I love this! I call it autopilot.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the situation, and am capable of both.

When I am performing a Root Cause Analysis, I can think linear and drill down.

When I am brainstorming, then I am allover the place, and plonk whatever that comes into my mind.

DK :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It's 6:48 and I am back to get started on my project and busted into laughter at the 33% "Huh?".
Thanks for bearing with my weird late night ramble.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The challenge is usually to colapse the web by seeing the couple of key nodes and the path you need to get between them. This process is interesting, explaining how you got there is usually messy and not so fun.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Anyhoo.

I am exactly like you. To a 't'

Data nerd, who never had a strong foundation in math....so settled on information architecture.

I design ontologies out of nebulous topics for a living...so yeah, I have to pull disparate concepts into something coherent and be darn good at it. Many of the ontologies are not linear, or hierarchical, but they have to take that form in some instances so they can translate to computer interfaces...you can't have a galaxy of interconnected content on a web page...or you can, but....heh....

I balance my strong ability to see a "milky way" of topics by rationalizing with meta data / characteristics. Those groupings can form hierarchies and become "linear" - it's a weird workaround, but it has helped me articulate things to other people without overwhelming them...I take delight in the complexity, most people do not...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How in the paper going?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I react more than act, atho I have spent years trying to not do that, my mind is like a spiders web, I can see books from elementary school in my mind, I can pull up signs in my head so I know which way to go, I go off tangentially all the time. BUT I cannot live in chaos, I am a neat freak, I only like linear lines and cannot stand flowery, fruity, nick nacks, etc.. after all the years I think since my brain is so bizarre that my environment must must be very logical otherwise I get freaked out..

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
How in the paper going?

I woke up about 4AM and got started by 5AM. Not that I am an angelic overachieving employee, but anxiety over the deadline was nagging me .

It all came together. I was able to express my thoughts without wandering into the weeds our running sideways this morning. This is a powerpoint presentation for a big housing conference. Smart art is neat...I haven't used it before. It added so much polish. I'll spare you the presentation, but this is a quick and silly example.

Presentation1.png

I felt like a grown up. Thanks for asking!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ah PowerPoint and excel and crystal reports...the trio of evil. Bad memories.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
ah PowerPoint and excel and crystal reports...the trio of evil. Bad memories.

Paving the way to Hades since 2014. Sorry for the flashbacks. I still live here. Heeeelpppp meeee

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paving the way to Hades since 2014. Sorry for the flashbacks. I still live here. Heeeelpppp meeee
another fun one impressive looking graphs/charts.
They didn't care about the data they just wanted the lines to go up impressively.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results