shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of buying a Victorian ruby ring

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! This is my first thread on Pricescope, so apologies if this has already been discussed. I found a Victorian ruby ring for sale for under $1k. It has two small(ish?) rubies, listing doesn’t specify exact measurements.

My issue is this: after reading on antique rubies, I find myself a bit conflicted whether to buy any old rubies after all. I’ve lost the thread, but I remember reading here that they might be very treated, which I’m not okay with. Worse, they might be paste. The ring doesn’t come with any certificates, and sending them to any gemological lab is not an option (too far away; I cannot justify the expense or manage it logistically, really). Haven’t contacted the vendor about the ring yet - wanted to know if it’s a good idea to buy before even seriously considering the purchase.

So asking more knowledgeable people: how risky is it to buy antique ruby jewellery? Vendor is based in UK, sells only antique jewellery and at least one PSer has bought from that shop and has been happy.

Appreciate any of your thoughts. Thank you!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Does the vendor have a return policy? Are you based in the UK yourself? Are they charging a lot for the ring? Is the price right for natural, untreated rubies? Are they representing the rubies as natural? As untreated?

Synthetic rubies were invented in the late 19th century. How old is the ring?

Can you show us a screenshot? It's hard to guess blind.

Edit: Oh, I see it's under $1K. Hm. If they're a professional jewelry seller, they would probably know not to sell very valuable gemstones for cheap. But perhaps the rubies are small enough that that's a reasonable price?

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply! You’re right, it’s quite hard to guess blind! By estimating how big it might be given the ring size, the rubies are about 3.5-4 mm. Here’s a couple of screenshots. It also has some wear, from what I can see. Maybe that also drives down the price?

IMG_0617.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpeg
    IMG_0618.jpeg
    697.1 KB · Views: 14

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That's so pretty! I would be tempted too. I think it's late enough that they COULD be synthetic. The pearl is real, and probably natural (not cultured). Would you be able to be happy with a genuine antique even if the rubies are synthetic, treated, or even paste? Or would that ruin the ring for you?

Oh, and is the gold marked? If there are hallmarks, that should tell you the age of the ring.

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
I can’t see any hallmarks unfortunately (other rings have them), and I’d be buying the ring for the rubies first, and the antique-ness and the pearl tied for second. So yes, it would spoil the ring for me quite a bit, in this case, if the rubies were anything else than heat only or better. Hmmm. I’ll ponder it long and hard then. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Oh, thank you! They even have books, besides quite a range of lovely stuff.

Merry Christmas to everyone celebrating!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I have a lab ruby, and it is perfect—no silk, no inclusions. I see silk here. Ask the vendor if they are lab rubies. Any seller worth his or her salt should know.

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
That is a very useful tidbit about your lab ruby, Mrsz1ppy. I think I will ask the seller about the rubies after the holidays. See what extra info the vendor can give me.

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Just a quick update: the seller does have a 14-day return policy (international shipping, seller in UK, I’m in the EU), and the rubies are listed as naturaI. So I pulled the trigger and ordered the ring today. I’ll post more photos when it arrives. To be honest, I’m quite excited.

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Well, it’s here! Vendor pics first:

IMG_1436.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1441.jpeg
    IMG_1441.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
… and real-life pics:

Shaded daylight:

IMG_1442.jpeg IMG_1443.jpeg

Sunlight:

IMG_1444.jpeg IMG_1445.jpeg

And now, some ruby magic:

IMG_1448.jpeg
IMG_1449.jpeg

Also, some sunlight ruby glow and lovely engraving on the side:

IMG_1447.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpeg
    IMG_1447.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 3

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
I’m not sure how I feel about it. It’s got fluorescence, glows in the sun a bit, glows in low light, is VERY red, but it’s the reddest and glowiest garnet-like ruby. I dislike dark stones immensely. The pearl is just lovely, though, as is the engraving. Ugh… If only it were as light as the vendor photos (or lighter, ha ha!)

I paid quite a bit of duty tax on it, so it would be a bit inconvenient for me to send it back. And it does glow AMAZINGLY in low light. Catches any little ray of light, shaded or not, and throws it back at me as red red red sparkle.

So what does everyone think? Too dark? Is it fine? I’ve never even seen a ruby in real life before, I’m not sure what to really expect…

Edit: my pics are quite colour-accurate, except the pinkiness. Camera picks up pink that my eyes don’t see.

Edit 2: vendor thinks rubies are Burmese, ring is early Victorian (1830-1840s), and 18kt gold. It’s got a lovely patina, never seen anything like it before. It’s also my first antique.

Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
This is positively beautiful. In fact, looking at your photos, it seems like the vendor's are pretty accurate. The rubies definitely don't seem dark. That glow that they catch, even in low light - that's the fluorescence at play. Without that fluorescence, they'd just be dull and dark.

If it were me, I don't think I'd return it. Too pretty to let go. But you take your time. Spend some time with it, get to know it, so to speak. See how you feel by the end of the week. If you decide you don't like it, and you know you aren't going to wear it, then it's better to just write off the import taxes as a loss and recoup what you paid.

But, for what it's worth, I don't think that's gonna happen. I'm betting soon enough you won't want to take it off. Just too damn pretty.

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
@RRfromR and @Lisa Loves Shiny, thank you so much for your input and for your kind words! It’s really reassuring.

@Avondale, I’ve read some of your threads on your ruby search, they were immensely informative and helpful! As was this message. You’ve given me very good advice. I’ve also looked again at the vendor photos and mine and laughed at myself a little: they really are similar!

I think now would be a good time to explain why I thought the rubies were dark. I’ve found this ruby image from GIA, and my own perfection, colourwise, is the highlighted ruby:

IMG_0820.jpeg

In my rubies, the flashes are an absolutely perfect colour. I just imagined the body would be like that, ALL THE TIME, that’s all.

Fortunately, this afternoon I’ve managed to see these colours in my rubies, so I’m a lot more pleased. And I’ve asked the members of my family for their opinion, and all agreed the rubies are red, not brown or dark. So there’s a definite consensus here, online and offline. Anyway, the pictures!

Afternoon glow from sun:

IMG_1497.jpeg

Outdoor light, clear skies, sun hidden behind buildings. The rubies even match our car!

IMG_1483.jpeg
IMG_1484.jpeg
IMG_1481.jpeg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad my threads were helpful and informative - they certainly were to me! :D And about that perfect ruby colour, remember that the photo of the heart ruby was taken in studio light. Try to shine your phone flashlight at your new ring - you'll see a vivid and bright colour that's probably very close to the inspo image.

If this is your first time owning corundum, you'll soon learn that it behaves differently depending on the ambient light. It has character and shows multiple faces. Makes it interesting to own. :))

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
@Avondale, it’s my first time seeing ruby in person, much less owning it! I had no idea what to expect, despite looking at dozens of threads and about a hundred (or two) pictures. That’s why I’m so very grateful for everybody’s input and reassurance!

I do have a small sapphire, but it’s very dark and I don’t like looking at it. It’s always dark blue, almost black. Unchangeable… I was aiming for something completely different. It was cheap, so I didn’t bother sending it back. And I kind of regret it still. Also, I own emerald, which again, is different than ruby and sapphire - it’s always ON. Glows at the slightest light.

But yes, you’re right, the colour under very bright lighting is bright. Reminds me of Christmas ornaments. :)

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much! :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
… and real-life pics:

Shaded daylight:

IMG_1442.jpeg IMG_1443.jpeg

Sunlight:

IMG_1444.jpeg IMG_1445.jpeg

And now, some ruby magic:

IMG_1448.jpeg
IMG_1449.jpeg

Also, some sunlight ruby glow and lovely engraving on the side:

IMG_1447.jpeg

oh my :kiss2:it is very very pretty:kiss2:
my screen isnt true to colour but it definatly does not look dark to me
i cetainly get a dissapointment of too dark saphires but this looks a definate reddy pink too me -again i cant trust my screen, but id be happy so long as its not in the brown red spectrum
the pearl is just delightful in fact the entire ring is delightful
good luck
to me its a brighten up winter ring, as you say it looks best in low light

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It is HEAVENLY! I would be so thrilled if it were mine. Sounds like you’re warming up to it?

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
@glitterata, thank you for the compliment. Made me quite warm and fuzzy inside! :kiss2:

I certainly am warming up to it. It’s still not a piping hot feeling, but I’m not sending it back! :) As @Avondale said, it’s too pretty not to keep!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results