shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking About Taking A Solo Trip In December...Any Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking about taking a quick trip after I graduate college on 12/13...any ideas or recommendations? I''ll be going by myself (no one can get time off because they''ve all used up their vacation recently!) and I want to go somewhere out of the country. (I''m in the U.S.) I''m thinking I''ll go from 12/15-12/23. London is one option I''m considering, but I''m up for almost anywhere! It''s obviously pretty last minute but any help would be appreciated!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 10:58:14 PM
Author:thing2of2
I''m thinking about taking a quick trip after I graduate college on 12/13...any ideas or recommendations? I''ll be going by myself (no one can get time off because they''ve all used up their vacation recently!) and I want to go somewhere out of the country. (I''m in the U.S.) I''m thinking I''ll go from 12/15-12/23. London is one option I''m considering, but I''m up for almost anywhere! It''s obviously pretty last minute but any help would be appreciated!
Which side of the US would you be departing from? Just keep in mind fares will be pretty high that time of year. However at least our dollar is a lot stronger. Also, is this the first time you are traveling internationally by yourself?

London is fun. But with any big city, I find it harder to strike up conversations in a fast paced place.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 11:08:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Which side of the US would you be departing from? Just keep in mind fares will be pretty high that time of year. However at least our dollar is a lot stronger. Also, is this the first time you are traveling internationally by yourself?

London is fun. But with any big city, I find it harder to strike up conversations in a fast paced place.

Good, I was hoping you''d see this, Tgal! I''m east coast and it will be the first time I''m traveling internationally by myself. I''ve checked out a few flights and they''re surprisingly cheap right now (under $600 to London) so I''m hoping I can swing it on short notice! I''m kind of thinking I should go somewhere "easy" since it''s my first time by myself, right?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 11:20:58 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 11/15/2008 11:08:13 PM

Good, I was hoping you''d see this, Tgal! I''m east coast and it will be the first time I''m traveling internationally by myself. I''ve checked out a few flights and they''re surprisingly cheap right now (under $600 to London) so I''m hoping I can swing it on short notice! I''m kind of thinking I should go somewhere ''easy'' since it''s my first time by myself, right?
London is a great place for solo travel (my fav place however, is Ireland, but that would be a lot more intimidating due the driving and would require a bit more planning). While it may be harder to strike up conversation, it''s not impossible. Just depends if you are comfortable going into a pub by yourself! And so much to keep you occupied...you can catch a play, shop, and of course sightsee. If you can catch a reasonable flight AND get a room for a decent price, I say go for it. Just keep in mind that the pound is a bit painful so it is still expensive and rooms in Europe are often tiny with very little natural light. With it being the holiday season, you may want to book plays and stuff in advance. Or just go to the official half price ticket booth and see what they have (however from memory, half price doesn''t mean cheap tickets as sometimes it is half price off some pretty expensive seats).

The nice part is that so many places include breakfast, which keeps costs down. Reasonable ethnic food is plentiful. Transportation (as long as there isn''t a tube strike!) is great and easy to figure out. Plus there are plenty of Londoners on PS who could help you plan an itinerary.

Yeah, I''d say go for London, and bundle up!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Travelzoo is great for finding cheap fares ... sign up for their weekly newsletter! December is brrrrrrrrr cold in Europe. I did a pre-Xmas trip to Paris one year and froze my sizeable bum off! (It grew back
3.gif
) Tough choice. Ireland was very friendly & no language barrier ... might want to add that in the picking mix. Eight days ... eight days. First trip abroad. Solo. December. Hmmmm. It''d be ambitious but you could do London + Paris. Fly in to London, spend a couple of days ... take the train to Paris, stay a few days and fly home from there. Hit two big hot spots in a single trip ... only have a couple days of French to worry about - after you''ve gotten your feet wet so to speak in London first??

Personally, I did not *heart* London so much. After spending so many years in NYC, London didn''t have the WOW factor that Paris did for me. But it *is* a smidge easier to navigate I guess. My first solo trip abroad was a layover in Paris that I made into a daytrip & then Florence, Cinque Terre & Venice. It was intimidating but ultimately doable.

ENVIOUS!!!!!!! Where have you always wanted to go??

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal-I''ve been to London before but it''s been about 9 years...ouch-how did I get so old?! Good idea about eating cheap ethnic food and getting half price shows, etc., if I go there...I am a bit broke right now as this is totally last minute and I haven''t been working much because I''ve been busy with school, but I''m hoping I can still scrape together enough $ to have lots of fun! I''ll have to crunch some numbers to see if I can really swing a vacation in pounds, though!

deco-thanks for the Travelzoo tip-I''ve never heard of it! Going to sign up now! I have been to Europe before and I feel like I''ve been to all the spots I really wanted to hit, so I''m at a bit of a loss! Should I go somewhere totally new or go somewhere I''ve been before? Ack! I probably should have thought about this awhile ago, huh?
3.gif

Ireland could be good...but I think my twin sis would kill me because she really wants to go there! I''ve always wanted to go there, though. Have either of you ever been to Greece? I''ve never been but I figured it would warmer than Europe, right?

And thank you both for your tips and help!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Deco...Paris has more wow factor...it''s really stunning. And feels more foreign too, which helps the "far away" feeling (NOT that you will feel like you are in the US in London!) I loved London because I was an English major in school. The visit to the Abbey was enough to make my trip. I feel very comfortable in both London and Paris, as I have been there as a destination and as a detox base to jump into other places.

Check to see how much an open jaw ticket will cost you - into London out of CDG.

As for weather, you never know what you will get, but yes, it will most likely be cold. I went to Europe for 4 months , a good chunk of it during winter (Jan-May) and never saw a day of rain or snow...and some days it was downright balmy!
3.gif

Londoners, the red double deckers have been gone from London for some time right?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Checking the open jaw ticket now! I wouldn''t mind Paris shopping! And it''s been 9 years since I''ve been there, too!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, not too bad...only $200 more for the open jaw ticket. I''m starting to get exciiiiiiiited! Must make this happen!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 12:09:26 AM
TGal-I''ve been to London before but it''s been about 9 years...ouch-how did I get so old?! Good idea about eating cheap ethnic food and getting half price shows, etc., if I go there...I am a bit broke right now as this is totally last minute and I haven''t been working much because I''ve been busy with school, but I''m hoping I can still scrape together enough $ to have lots of fun! I''ll have to crunch some numbers to see if I can really swing a vacation in pounds, though!

deco-thanks for the Travelzoo tip-I''ve never heard of it! Going to sign up now! I have been to Europe before and I feel like I''ve been to all the spots I really wanted to hit, so I''m at a bit of a loss! Should I go somewhere totally new or go somewhere I''ve been before? Ack! I probably should have thought about this awhile ago, huh?
3.gif

Ireland could be good...but I think my twin sis would kill me because she really wants to go there! I''ve always wanted to go there, though. Have either of you ever been to Greece? I''ve never been but I figured it would warmer than Europe, right?

And thank you both for your tips and help!
Travelzoo is awesome. I stopped reading it because it always bummed it out that I couldn''t partake in the deals!

Eek...if you''re broke, London isn''t exactly merciful on the wallet. Where have you gone in Europe? Have you thought about eastern Europe where you''ll get more bang for your buck? What about the Czech Republic? I would definitely go hosteling there though...it''s lots of fun and Aussies abound in Europe during the winter months since it''s their summer holidays. They''re a friendly bunch. Do you like Christmas markets? There are a few cities in Europe which are known for them.

I have been to Greece and I don''t think it will be much warmer. It''s not tropical there or anything. Plus the Greece you are probably thinking about are the islands (of which there are many) and they shutter down in the winter, so it wouldn''t be that tourist friendly. I went there in late March and things were just opening up. Not sure what it''s like during the holidays though. My two cents, skip Greece.

Now Croatia...well, that''s another story!!!
36.gif

(But can you really beat Guinness in Ireland? Ahhh...choices...choices....)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 12:19:38 AM
Okay, not too bad...only $200 more for the open jaw ticket. I''m starting to get exciiiiiiiited! Must make this happen!
Don''t forget to check out the price of the one way train fare from London to Paris. That could be crazy that time of year.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, think about places that actually look wonderful in the winter cold. Prague is magical. Cesky Krumlov, even better IMHO.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal-I''ve been mostly to Western Europe, but I have been to the Czech Republic, but it''s been a while! (We had an exchange student from Prague and my twin sis and I went there after we graduated high school and backpacked all over with her. We spent about 2 weeks in the Czech Republic and it is probably my favorite place in the world!) I''ve been back to Europe since my big long trip and spent a couple of weeks in Spain twice and a couple of weeks in Germany. I''ve also been to Italy, France, Switzerland and England.

I''m not *super* broke but I definitely haven''t been saving for a trip! I''ll crunch some numbers in the morning and see if I can swing the December trip...if not I''ll have to wait until January.
8.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm...haven''t been there, but how about Krakow, Poland?

Or Slovenia...Ljubljana is pretty cool as it is a university town and has a great vibe. You could also visit Lake Bled, although it would probably be butt cold that time of year.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 12:46:52 AM
Hm...haven''t been there, but how about Krakow, Poland?

Or Slovenia...Ljubljana is pretty cool as it is a university town and has a great vibe. You could also visit Lake Bled, although it would probably be butt cold that time of year.

Poland could be good...and my brother used to live right on the Germany-Poland border so he''s been there several times and could probably give me some tips. It would be cold...but so would everywhere else, I guess! I''m not familiar with Slovenia at all but I can go by the bookstore tomorrow and check out some Let''s Go books.

Alright, I''m off to bed-thanks for all the help! I may bug you more tomorrow!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
How about somewhere sunny!? SE Asia? I''m intrigued by Vietnam at the moment...hoping to go there early ''09..
sounds like fun Thing!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lets see...if you really want to cut costs Quebec City is gorgeous this time of year. Italy is also another option...you could do the smaller cities you haven''t done before which are great IMO. It''ll be cold, but not unbearably so IMO. I also second the suggestions of Ireland and Cesky Krumlov, especially at christmas.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I saw that there was a recommendation against Greece because it wouldn''t be tourist season and things would be shut down... and I just wanted to share my experience. I lived in the isles during the ''off season'' as a longer term tourist basically and loved it. The shops had limited hours but the shop and tourist company owners were so willing to give you great personalized service. I can''t tell you how many times I''d go into a restaurant for dinner be the only party, have the restaurant owner sit down and join us at our table, and then provide free drinks all evening. Very friendly, very affordable, I''d go again in the off season in a second.

I''m going to South Africa this winter for research and leisure. No safaris, thank you... haha... not really my style, but there''s so much else to see. Perhaps that''s an idea for you.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about doing a tour with other young-uns around Europe? Just another option good way to get around a few different places and meet new people and have fun.

I love Europe it is beautiful, there are so many nice places and all for different reasons.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 1:06:25 PM
Author: Deelight
Have you thought about doing a tour with other young-uns around Europe? Just another option good way to get around a few different places and meet new people and have fun.

I love Europe it is beautiful, there are so many nice places and all for different reasons.

I second the idea of finding a tour of other younger people. I worry about you traveling alone in a foreign place. My mother always gets antsy when I mention traveling by myself. She always tells me not to tell ANYONE that I am alone in my travels and she is under the impression that a woman staying alone in a hotel is a target. I tend to agree but then again I always am sorta on the side of caution (alright... straight up paranoia). I don''t want to stop your fun and your trip planning but please keep your safety as the primary priority.

I think that London sounds like a great idea, especially if you can find cheap fares to other Western European cities. There is so much to see and do in Paris and London that I think you can definitely manage to keep yourself occupied during the week you have to travel.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 12:29:25 PM
Author: MissPrudential
I saw that there was a recommendation against Greece because it wouldn''t be tourist season and things would be shut down... and I just wanted to share my experience. I lived in the isles during the ''off season'' as a longer term tourist basically and loved it. The shops had limited hours but the shop and tourist company owners were so willing to give you great personalized service. I can''t tell you how many times I''d go into a restaurant for dinner be the only party, have the restaurant owner sit down and join us at our table, and then provide free drinks all evening. Very friendly, very affordable, I''d go again in the off season in a second.

I''m going to South Africa this winter for research and leisure. No safaris, thank you... haha... not really my style, but there''s so much else to see. Perhaps that''s an idea for you.
That sounds great missP, but as a SOLO short term tourist, it really wouldn''t be all that fun to be the only party at a restaurant, despite new owners. I love the off season, but I also love meeting lots of people during my travels (both tourists and locals). I would way rather hunker down somewhere for awhile during the off season, but for a short trip, I really don''t care to go somewhere dead - like Rothenberg the second week of January...it was a ghost town.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thing, are you on a tight budget in terms of lodging? When I was in Paris, I stayed at the Peace and Love Hostel (we had to do it because of the name!) and found it was pretty good for a hostel AND there was a bar downstairs so it was fun to mingle with the other travelers in the evening. Make sure you have your own towels, though. I went with two other friends, but we found that Paris was relatively easy (with my 1 year of HS French....), especially if you at least attempt to say things in French. Ohhh, and you have to stop at a stand and get crepes with buerre et sucre. That's reason enough to go on its own.

Probably don't want to cram too much in, but I kinda wonder how much an overnight train would be to Barcelona? That's an awesome city too see on your own, too. I will say that I had a tougher time with the language barrier in Spain than anywhere else, I think because I'm so used to hearing Spanish with a Mexican pronunciation.

Oh, and don't forget to start searching now for the perfect travel journal. :)

ETA: Well goodness, I missed a post! It sounds like you're a pretty seasoned traveler already...why not somewhere different and off the beaten path? A friend of mine just got back from Crete and said it was beyond amazing. I love Italy more than anything, but it is seriously the most romantic country in the world...but Milan or Rome could be great time solo... Or how about Austria?

Also, are we limited to Europe? What about Belize, Costa Rica, New Zealand or Portugal? The idea of South Africa sounds awesome, too...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for the ideas and tips, everyone!

aj-I don''t think I could swing SE Asia by myself, but I do really want to go there! Keep me posted if you go to Vietnam-it''s on my list!

neat-I totally didn''t think about Canada for some reason! That could be good-it''s fairly close and would still feel foreign...that''s on the list for sure!

MissPru-sounds like you are quite the traveler! Your Greece experience sounds awesome...I definitely want to go there! My twin sis really wants us to go to Africa so I''m going to wait on that but your trip sounds awesome!

Dee-I''ve never been on a tour...but it could be fun? I don''t know...sometimes i like to just do my own thing, but I am going to look into it!

Clair-aw, don''t worry about me! I''m pretty good at staying safe because I am also paranoid! Hahaha! I actually live in a pretty sketchy city myself so I think I''d be okay, but thank you for your concern!

El-thanks for the hostel tip! I have nothing against hostels although I like them less the older I get!
3.gif
But one with a bar sounds like fun and since this is last minute I probably won''t be able to swing a nice hotel. I actually went to Barcelona a couple of years ago and I LOVE it there! My friend just went there last week and I am so jealous! I went to Costa Rica in March and it was fun but for this I''m thinking of more of a city-ish vacation where I can just walk around, shop, go to museums, etc.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
And now my trip has taken a bit of a twist because my best friend might be able to come...but I will keep you all posted and bug you for more tips once I get some stuff nailed down! Thanks again!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I second Quebec city or Montreal if you''ve never been, even toronto. I adore Montreal and DH and I are headed to QC for NYE this year. The flights on Air Canada can be pricey, but there are also rail options. It''s a bit of a haul to drive on your own, but would be feasible with a friend; we''re making that circuit ourselves this holiday. Think about it! Toronto is supposed to be great too, though Ive never been.

Congrats and enjoy!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 7:12:20 PM
Author: mercoledi
I second Quebec city or Montreal if you''ve never been, even toronto. I adore Montreal and DH and I are headed to QC for NYE this year. The flights on Air Canada can be pricey, but there are also rail options. It''s a bit of a haul to drive on your own, but would be feasible with a friend; we''re making that circuit ourselves this holiday. Think about it! Toronto is supposed to be great too, though Ive never been.

Congrats and enjoy!

Just looked at tickets to Toronto and they''re super cheap! That''s up there on the list now! Quebec city is more expensive to get to...I''ll have to research both cities because I don''t know much about either. Brrr, though-I bet it''s COLD there in December!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I have to ditto Paris! I went a few years ago by myself and had a blast. It was really they best thing I''ve ever done for myself (actually, okay, as of today, the second best thing). I loved traveling by myself. Loved it!

Rome is fun, too, and more of a walking city, so if you like to walk around and see things, it''s a great place to go. BF and I did Rome/Florence, and we both fell in love with Florence. It''s especially fabulous in fall/winter when there aren''t a bagillion tourists around (there are still some, but you don''t feel like you''re in a zoo, which is what I hear it''s like in the summer).

Also, what about Central America? You could do Costa Rica, Belize, or even Panama (it''s pretty cool once you''re out of the city).

Austria is fun, but expensive, but Hungary is beautiful in the winter!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 7:24:28 PM

Congrats and enjoy!

Just looked at tickets to Toronto and they''re super cheap! That''s up there on the list now! Quebec city is more expensive to get to...I''ll have to research both cities because I don''t know much about either. Brrr, though-I bet it''s COLD there in December!

The really nice thing about Quebec City IMO is that it feels like Europe. Little cobblestone streets and all. As lovely as Toronto is it still feels like the US. Montreal is a great too though!

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 7:58:52 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 11/16/2008 7:24:28 PM

I second Quebec city or Montreal if you've never been, even toronto. I adore Montreal and DH and I are headed to QC for NYE this year. The flights on Air Canada can be pricey, but there are also rail options. It's a bit of a haul to drive on your own, but would be feasible with a friend; we're making that circuit ourselves this holiday. Think about it! Toronto is supposed to be great too, though Ive never been.

Congrats and enjoy!

Just looked at tickets to Toronto and they're super cheap! That's up there on the list now! Quebec city is more expensive to get to...I'll have to research both cities because I don't know much about either. Brrr, though-I bet it's COLD there in December!

The really nice thing about Quebec City IMO is that it feels like Europe. Little cobblestone streets and all. As lovely as Toronto is it still feels like the US. Montreal is a great too though!

NF is right, that Toronto won't really feel much different to the U.S. Quebec city and/or Montreal though, really do feel like Europe and are completely different to anywhere else in North America. Montreal also has great food, shopping, nightlife...oh and did I mention the food? Of course, I am biased as I lived in Montreal for six years
3.gif

ETA: it will be cold, but one of the good things about Montreal is that it has an underground city downtown, so you can actually go from mall to mall without stepping foot outside!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 7:32:03 PM
Author: princesss
I have to ditto Paris! I went a few years ago by myself and had a blast. It was really they best thing I''ve ever done for myself (actually, okay, as of today, the second best thing). I loved traveling by myself. Loved it!

Rome is fun, too, and more of a walking city, so if you like to walk around and see things, it''s a great place to go. BF and I did Rome/Florence, and we both fell in love with Florence. It''s especially fabulous in fall/winter when there aren''t a bagillion tourists around (there are still some, but you don''t feel like you''re in a zoo, which is what I hear it''s like in the summer).

Also, what about Central America? You could do Costa Rica, Belize, or even Panama (it''s pretty cool once you''re out of the city).

Austria is fun, but expensive, but Hungary is beautiful in the winter!

I''m glad to hear you had fun by yourself! I don''t mind doing stuff by myself but I''ve never traveled abroad by myself. I''m thinking I''ll go to Europe or Canada instead of Central America because I just went to Costa Rica in March.

I''ve never been to Hungary and I would like to go! We had an exchange student from Hungary once...he was a little hottie!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results