shape
carat
color
clarity

Think you might wanna help a non-romantic girl out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Almost 5 years ago, I met TGuy in Europe. As we thought we were about to part ways, we chatted about life''s roads, forks and crossings.

TGuy was saying that he planned to go back home and be single for awhile. I told him he''d find someone pretty quickly. We both were wondering what we had gotten ourselves into, while not outright saying there might be something there. TGuy asked me what I thought his chances were of visiting America in the next 5 years. I sadly made a big "0" sign with my fingers. He nodded.

It turned into one of those cheesy movies then when TGuy said we would meet again in 2008...one of those corny pacts that couples make that if they are single in 5 years time, they will meet again to see if the spark is still there. We decided to meet in Croatia, where for some reason the natives kept telling us we were in love with each other and didn''t know it, and to come back when we were married.

This February marks that 5 year anniversary, and amazingly here we are married and expecting our first child. We had always talked about still going to Croatia, which is the spot we think we first may have fallen in love, but now it''s out of the question as I will be 8 months pregnant. I would like the mark the anniversary with something a bit more special than dinner...somehow bring a bit of Europe to us, but I''m trying to think of things that aren''t outright cheesy. I don''t think having a croatian flag centerpiece at dinner would really cut it.

I know this is an ambiguous request, but if you have any cool ideas, let me know...I''d appreciate it! Most of you are definitely more romantic and imaginative than I am!!
40.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hi TGal! What a wonderful love story you two have!!! I must say that you two are a prime example of fate bringing people together...it's so nice hear!
36.gif

Well, my DH is Croatian (grew up in Dubrovnik) so, I know a lot about the country through him and his family. We are hoping to go there this summer so, maybe I'll have a chance to see this beautiful country in person!

Anyway, why don't you set up a romantic dinner - possibly cook him some traditional Croatia cuisine? You could google some receipes or I could ask my DH for some. I live in NYC so, we have a lot of Croatian restaurants - I'm not a huge cook so, I would probably do take-out.
31.gif
During dinner, you could play some Croatian music which you could download off of itunes (assuming you have an ipod since most people do). Oliver Dragojevic is one of my DH's faves and very popular in Croatia - we used one of his songs as a song to dance to at our wedding....his voice is wonderful and his songs are very romantic!!

Print some pictures of places you visited together in Croata and have them hanging around you home. Serve him some wine (Croatian wine if you can find some - they have some here in NYC), with feta cheese and olives before dinner. For dessert you can serve him baklava (my DH loves that and his family makes it all the time)! Maybe add some sea shells as decoration at dinner or near your pictures.

Gosh...I could go on, but the idea here is to bring Croatia to him!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
OMG Blushing - I was posting at the same time, saying the EXACT same thing but my post didn''t go through. Anyways, I was saying the exact same things...music, a meal (grilled meat or fish)...but also recommending that she ''dress up'' a little. It may be hilarious at 8 months preggs, but would be totally cute and very memorable.

I also married a croatian guy...and WE''RE GOING TO CROATIA this summer too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (probably august/sept) OMG let''s meet up!!

At our wedding, I put rosemary in my bouquet and the boys'' bouteineers (sp?) so maybe you could make him something with rosemary and lavender which are so common there (something like a keep-sake - cheesy yes, but again, kinda cute).

Here is a traditional costume you could try for:

croatian-folk.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha oh my gosh i would pay money to see TG dressed up in one of those pinafore things. GOOD MONEY.

TG, what a cute story you guys have !!! i unfortunately have no imaginative assistance for you other than to say.....you go girl. rock that pinafore. red IS your color.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL! Mela lu, the costume you posted just made me crack up...the thought of me in that 8 months preggo is just awesome.

Thank you BOTH for your suggestions! I will look up some croatian stuff online, but I like the ideas of recipes (which I am totally happy to ask for help with from you both) and especially like the idea of Croatian wine. I''ll have to find some, but I think it won''t be easy. The couple we stayed with made their own wine, and it was really good. He said he made his own because a lot of what they buy is bad. Although I know there are some great wine tasting regions in Croatia so I will study those.

How lucky you both get to go! Will either of you be going to Hvar? If so, and you are in Starigrad, you will have to find Inge. She is German, married to a Croatian and everyone just knows her by name. She owns a restaurant/bar there that she opens up in the summer. She is the first to say that TGuy and I were in love and she opened up her bar for us that night (since she had just gotten to the island it was still closed) and we danced and drank the night away.

The couple we stayed with are also well known on the island, because the husband is the island''s ferrymaster. Croatia is just the most gorgeous place...Dubrovnik is awesome, but we also liked Split, even though it isn''t as majestic as Dubrovnik.

Thank you BlushingBride for the music recommendation...this is stuff I would not have figured out on my own.
1.gif

And I have to say, you ladies are lucky to have married Croatian men...hubba hubba. TGuy and I were amazed at how good looking Croatians are...both men and women. TGuy didn''t want to leave.
20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 1:38:37 PM
Author: Mara
ha ha oh my gosh i would pay money to see TG dressed up in one of those pinafore things. GOOD MONEY.

TG, what a cute story you guys have !!! i unfortunately have no imaginative assistance for you other than to say.....you go girl. rock that pinafore. red IS your color.
Hmph. Remind me to say that in person to you when I see you this week.
41.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
awww!! thanks TG! It''s so nice to hear your Croatian-appreciation!! I feel like the beauty of their people and country are often overlooked. I cannot wait to go next summer...although I think I''ll be TTC this spring/summer so maybe Inge will have to make me virgin cocktails! haha.

We will for sure be going to Hvar. That is where my in-laws vacation every summer (that and then of course the requisite visiting of family in Split and Zadar etc.)

TG, if you dont mind me asking...how long were you and your DH ''together'' before you decided to get married? How did you manage the whole "we are from different countries" thing. I''m loving your story!!! Pretty impressive, coming from this unromantic gal! ahah.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 1:28:49 PM
Author: mela lu
OMG Blushing - I was posting at the same time, saying the EXACT same thing but my post didn''t go through. Anyways, I was saying the exact same things...music, a meal (grilled meat or fish)...but also recommending that she ''dress up'' a little. It may be hilarious at 8 months preggs, but would be totally cute and very memorable.

I also married a croatian guy...and WE''RE GOING TO CROATIA this summer too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (probably august/sept) OMG let''s meet up!!

At our wedding, I put rosemary in my bouquet and the boys'' bouteineers (sp?) so maybe you could make him something with rosemary and lavender which are so common there (something like a keep-sake - cheesy yes, but again, kinda cute).

Here is a traditional costume you could try for:
OMG - that''s soooo ironic!! Croatian men are very handsome men!
30.gif
30.gif
I was just looking through your wedding pics - I missed your post since I was on my honeymoon when you posted them (we got married 8/25) - they are gorgeous BTW!!!

We were thinking of going there in July, but who knows, that may change and if does, we must meet up!!
36.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
HA! I too would pay good money to see TGal in native Croatian costume! Price.less! I agree with the Croation dinner thing.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 1:40:20 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/6/2007 1:38:37 PM
Author: Mara

Hmph. Remind me to say that in person to you when I see you this week.
41.gif
11.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh - Mela lu we are going to be TTC around the same time you guys are! Actually, my DH would love to conceive in Croatia when we go - I would love that too actually!
2.gif

TGal, see what you can find online and if you need anymore help, just let us know! I think as long as you get the food, wine and music down, you''ll be good to go! Although, if you can also add that dress to the mix, that would be perfect!!
31.gif

You could always get a Croatia soccer jersey and wear that - it would definitley be comfy for you AND you could give it to him as a gift! I surprised my DH with a jersey during the world cup two summes ago - he loved it!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 1:45:12 PM
awww!! thanks TG! It''s so nice to hear your Croatian-appreciation!! I feel like the beauty of their people and country are often overlooked. I cannot wait to go next summer...although I think I''ll be TTC this spring/summer so maybe Inge will have to make me virgin cocktails! haha.

We will for sure be going to Hvar. That is where my in-laws vacation every summer (that and then of course the requisite visiting of family in Split and Zadar etc.)

TG, if you dont mind me asking...how long were you and your DH ''together'' before you decided to get married? How did you manage the whole ''we are from different countries'' thing. I''m loving your story!!! Pretty impressive, coming from this unromantic gal! ahah.
Mela lu, I was honestly happy that the country was overlooked. The year after I went, MSNBC did a feature on Croatia and I have seen regular spotlights ever since. In 2003, there were only 110,000 American tourists in Croatia. Obviously there are lot more European tourists. But it still felt so unspoiled for me!

Hvar is fantastic...most go to Hvar Town because it''s so pretty. That was our destination when we got off the ferry, but there was no bus to Hvar town. TGuy kept looking at his guidebook and saying "there is supposed to be a bus." Everyone had cleared out and we were sitting there alone by the ferry, and I said, well, I see buses like I see kangaroos. So we were left to try to walk into Starigrad (a few kilometers away) with our things. We had walked about 100 feet when the ferrymaster stopped and asked if we wanted a lift. When he found out we had no place to stay, he offered to have us look at the upper apartment of his house. It was amazing and only cost us about 9 bucks a night. They were so good to us...finding us a rental scooter when it was totally the offseason, and cooking us dinner. In return, I helped him with excel spreadsheets and set up his first email account. Croatia is hopping in the summer, but not so much in early April! He told us he thought we were the only tourists on the island at that time.

I don''t mind you asking...we both got home from Europe in the summer of 2003. We thought we wouldn''t communicate at all, but we did pick up communication in fall 2003, which ended up with me visiting him for Christmas 2003. He signed up for the greencard lottery that year, and found out he won in April 2004...one week before his first visit to the U.S. He visited again Nov 2004, and in April of 2005, his greencard was processed (I went there for the processing to support him). I went back to Australia in summer 2005 to help him move to the U.S.

We started living together in August 2005, and decided to get married in March of 2006. We got married last October.

So...technically we knew each other 3.5 years before we got married. But we had only been living with each other for little over a year. Eek, this all sounds nuts even as I am reading it. I would never recommend long distance to anyone! I''m still shocked it worked for us.

So I take it you and your DH live in America now? How long has he been here? It''s really tough sometimes...especially since TGuy speaks English and is caucasian, I often forget that he IS in a foreign country and some things just must be so strange for him. We also have to factor in my Korean heritage, so sometimes there is country confusion across the board. But we are both so in love with each other''s cultures (OK...he''s more enamored with the Korean side of me than the American side of me, but oh well) that respecting each other and learning really helps. I could seriously go on and on. There are definitely bumps (I posted something yesterday in hangout asking Australians for help, because TGuy offended someone inadvertently), but I always try to encourage TGuy and let him know how very proud of him I am for trying so hard here in the U.S. He never would have came if he didn''t love me so much.
30.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:03:32 PM
Author: blushingbride
Oh my gosh - Mela lu we are going to be TTC around the same time you guys are! Actually, my DH would love to conceive in Croatia when we go - I would love that too actually!
2.gif

TGal, see what you can find online and if you need anymore help, just let us know! I think as long as you get the food, wine and music down, you''ll be good to go! Although, if you can also add that dress to the mix, that would be perfect!!
31.gif

You could always get a Croatia soccer jersey and wear that - it would definitley be comfy for you AND you could give it to him as a gift! I surprised my DH with a jersey during the world cup two summes ago - he loved it!!!
Ooh, I love that idea! TGuy loves soccer, and has the Oz team jersey, so I will look into that.

And personally I think an 8 month pregnant Korean woman would look very DIGNIFIED in that costume, thank you very much.
emotion-18.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:06:11 PM

Mela lu, I was honestly happy that the country was overlooked. The year after I went, MSNBC did a feature on Croatia and I have seen regular spotlights ever since. In 2003, there were only 110,000 American tourists in Croatia. Obviously there are lot more European tourists. But it still felt so unspoiled for me!

Hvar is fantastic...most go to Hvar Town because it''s so pretty. That was our destination when we got off the ferry, but there was no bus to Hvar town. TGuy kept looking at his guidebook and saying ''there is supposed to be a bus.'' Everyone had cleared out and we were sitting there alone by the ferry, and I said, well, I see buses like I see kangaroos. So we were left to try to walk into Starigrad (a few kilometers away) with our things. We had walked about 100 feet when the ferrymaster stopped and asked if we wanted a lift. When he found out we had no place to stay, he offered to have us look at the upper apartment of his house. It was amazing and only cost us about 9 bucks a night. They were so good to us...finding us a rental scooter when it was totally the offseason, and cooking us dinner. In return, I helped him with excel spreadsheets and set up his first email account. Croatia is hopping in the summer, but not so much in early April! He told us he thought we were the only tourists on the island at that time.

I don''t mind you asking...we both got home from Europe in the summer of 2003. We thought we wouldn''t communicate at all, but we did pick up communication in fall 2003, which ended up with me visiting him for Christmas 2003. He signed up for the greencard lottery that year, and found out he won in April 2004...one week before his first visit to the U.S. He visited again Nov 2004, and in April of 2005, his greencard was processed (I went there for the processing to support him). I went back to Australia in summer 2005 to help him move to the U.S.

We started living together in August 2005, and decided to get married in March of 2006. We got married last October.

So...technically we knew each other 3.5 years before we got married. But we had only been living with each other for little over a year. Eek, this all sounds nuts even as I am reading it. I would never recommend long distance to anyone! I''m still shocked it worked for us.

So I take it you and your DH live in America now? How long has he been here? It''s really tough sometimes...especially since TGuy speaks English and is caucasian, I often forget that he IS in a foreign country and some things just must be so strange for him. We also have to factor in my Korean heritage, so sometimes there is country confusion across the board. But we are both so in love with each other''s cultures (OK...he''s more enamored with the Korean side of me than the American side of me, but oh well) that respecting each other and learning really helps. I could seriously go on and on. There are definitely bumps (I posted something yesterday in hangout asking Australians for help, because TGuy offended someone inadvertently), but I always try to encourage TGuy and let him know how very proud of him I am for trying so hard here in the U.S. He never would have came if he didn''t love me so much.
30.gif
Holy Moly! That is a FANTASTIC story! What I really ''walk-away'' with is that you two were OB destined to be. I''m from Canada, so I don''t know what winning the greencard lottery is ...but it sounds pretty awesome and lucky!
I hear of a lot of LD relationships that just cannot get it together and end up in a break-up. I love that you two managed to work it out in a way that was fair and not hasty. It''s so clear that you two are in it for the long-haul.
36.gif
Great story! CANNOT WAIT to see how cute your baby is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I love that jersey idea. It''s probably more plausable than the folk-dress. haha.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock

30.gif
Wow, I think this ALL the time. My DH speaks fluent english and is cauasian too - he does have an accent, but really most of the time I don''t even notice. However, there are times when he asks me a question about something American or his parents call and I hear him speak Croatian that I am reminded he''s not from here.
41.gif
His two sisters also speak perfect English with slight accents and I''m truly facinated by the fact they have adjusted so well here. His immediate family has been in the US for past 10 years.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
BTW - TGal where is your hubby originally from? Sorry if you may have mentioned it and I just missed it...

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:25:36 PM

30.gif
Wow, I think this ALL the time. My DH speaks fluent english and is cauasian too - he does have an accent, but really most of the time I don''t even notice. However, there are times when he asks me a question about something American or his parents call and I hear him speak Croatian that I am reminded he''s not from here.
41.gif
His two sisters also speak perfect English with slight accents and I''m truly facinated by the fact they have adjusted so well here. His immediate family has been in the US for past 10 years.

Ditto. My in-laws speak Croatian (very very little English) and my DH, his siblings and niece/nephew all speak fluent Croatian (as well as English). Sometimes, whole conversations go by without a word of English!! (I just sit there and smile).

They really have not only survived and adjusted (minus the lack of English with the in-laws) but they''ve also thrived. They really are a bunch of strong survivors. I give them so much credit for all that the family has endured through their lifetime.

As a first-generation Canadian who''s parents did all the hard-work immigrating to Canada, I simply cannot relate.
12.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I think he is Australian....
not sure though...

Date: 11/6/2007 2:26:48 PM
BTW - TGal where is your hubby originally from? Sorry if you may have mentioned it and I just missed it...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies...I believe in fate to a degree, but I also believe a lot of it is in your hands.

Mela lu, the U.S. does a Diversity (Greencard) lottery every year. They pick 100,000 winners at random and 50,000 of those eventually get processed and into the country. Millions apply. Not every country is eligible (Canada is not) but it is still the easiest and fastest way to get in to the U.S. If TGuy didn''t win, we would not be together, as I refused to marry him to get him here. I''m just too cynical and I didn''t think it would work, nor be very wise. So he put his name in the hat and told me, "if we''re meant to be, we''re meant to be..."

I also checked out your wedding photos...WOW, gorgeous wedding AND couple!
36.gif

BB, he''s from Australia...I think because he''s from a commonwealth country, people here don''t think he''s all that different, but he is! Even Canadians and Americans are pretty different in custom and ways of thinking.

And we may think that 10 years is a long time to be here, but it''s really not. TGuy has been here for 2.5 years, and he''s still baffled by so many things...

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:36:11 PM

Date: 11/6/2007 2:25:36 PM

30.gif
41.gif

Ditto. My in-laws speak Croatian (very very little English) and my DH, his siblings and niece/nephew all speak fluent Croatian (as well as English). Sometimes, whole conversations go by without a word of English!! (I just sit there and smile).

They really have not only survived and adjusted (minus the lack of English with the in-laws) but they''ve also thrived. They really are a bunch of strong survivors. I give them so much credit for all that the family has endured through their lifetime.

As a first-generation Canadian who''s parents did all the hard-work immigrating to Canada, I simply cannot relate.
12.gif

Hahaha...same here. I mean, it''s impossible for DH or his sisters to translate EVERYTHING when we are at their parent''s house. Although, I met DH almost 4 years ago and his parents have come a LONG way and speak English so much better now than they did when I first met them. I think it''s so cool - esp. since they are 60.

Sometimes I think about what they went through during the war and then have to move your family across the world to completely different country is amazing.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:36:43 PM
I think he is Australian....
not sure though...

Date: 11/6/2007 2:26:48 PM
Duh...maybe her Avatar would clue me in!
41.gif
19.gif
20.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hey T-Gal, I live in San Pedro, which if you don''t know, has a big, active Croatian population. There''s a restaurant here called Ante''s (http://www.antesrestaurant.com/) that''s supposed to be very good, authentic Croatian food. I haven''t been but DH has, and he really liked it. Just a thought! There''s also Slavko''s Poultry, but that''s more casual/take-out. You may not be a romantic, but your story certainly is!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:52:17 PM
Author: Selkie
Hey T-Gal, I live in San Pedro, which if you don''t know, has a big, active Croatian population. There''s a restaurant here called Ante''s (http://www.antesrestaurant.com/) that''s supposed to be very good, authentic Croatian food. I haven''t been but DH has, and he really liked it. Just a thought! There''s also Slavko''s Poultry, but that''s more casual/take-out. You may not be a romantic, but your story certainly is!
OMG Selkie, thank you! I TOTALLY forgot that San Pedro has a big Croatian population...I remember reading that when I was looking at homes in the area. This should help tremendously, as I can look for things in the area, or go to a restaurant if need be. Thank you so much!!!
36.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, no creative romantic ideas here but I must say what a great story! You two were meant for each other and you''re going to have one cute baby!!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:56:20 PM
Author: snlee
Sorry, no creative romantic ideas here but I must say what a great story! You two were meant for each other and you''re going to have one cute baby!!!!
Thanks snlee.
1.gif
Cute or not, it''s ours to keep and we''ll love it and think it''s cute to us (hopefully anyway, since I''ve been known to be pretty honest about what I see. Hehehe).

BB, I looked up your wedding photos too...fantastic! Looks like the Croatians really know how to have fun! You and your hubby are just gorgeous.
1.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
HEE!! Gorgeous 1/2 croatian wedding pictures all around!

Thanks for the compliments
2.gif
I feel pretty luck!

As for what BB said about the war - I cannot even imagine! They left Croatia and immigrated to Germany (for 8 years and learned German!!) then to Canada, the "land of opportunity" and have been here since. My in-laws are in their mid-70''s. Incredible.

TGal - your baby is going to be REDIC cute! Absolutelty rediculously cute. I can already feel it.

I cannot imagine the luck of this lottery. you guys are SOOOOOO destined. Honestly. I can barely win the war against finding the matching sock, let alone a greencard lottery! Holy cow. That is a stroke of luck if I''ve ever seen one!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 3:18:53 PM
HEE!! Gorgeous 1/2 croatian wedding pictures all around!

Thanks for the compliments
2.gif
I feel pretty luck!

As for what BB said about the war - I cannot even imagine! They left Croatia and immigrated to Germany (for 8 years and learned German!!) then to Canada, the ''land of opportunity'' and have been here since. My in-laws are in their mid-70''s. Incredible.

TGal - your baby is going to be REDIC cute! Absolutelty rediculously cute. I can already feel it.

I cannot imagine the luck of this lottery. you guys are SOOOOOO destined. Honestly. I can barely win the war against finding the matching sock, let alone a greencard lottery! Holy cow. That is a stroke of luck if I''ve ever seen one!
They called Dubrovnik the land of the golden rooftops...I would have loved to see that, because in the late afternoon sun, that is apparently what it looked like. We got there and called it the "Land of the terracotta tiles." So sad, but still such an amazingly beautiful country!

I have some pics...let me see if I can post!

Oh, and yes...I agree, we were lucky. Sometimes TGuy will want to play the lotto and I just look at him with a half smile and say, "Honey, you do KNOW that we''ve already won the only lottery we''re ever going to, and need to win?"

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at your 3 wedding pics Tgal...(um, any more please?) and you are SO Effing cute that now its 100% confirmed, touch blue, your child will be a knockout.

offish.

done and doner.

emsmilep.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 2:55:59 PM
OMG Selkie, thank you! I TOTALLY forgot that San Pedro has a big Croatian population...I remember reading that when I was looking at homes in the area. This should help tremendously, as I can look for things in the area, or go to a restaurant if need be. Thank you so much!!!
36.gif

No prob. There''s also the Croatian American Club, I think. Just google San Pedro and Croatian and a ton of stuff will come up. Speaking of hottie Croatians, I was at the gym in SP one day and overheard a couple of ladies talking about meeting Goran Visnic (Luka on ER) at some big local party or festival. Jealous!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s one I posted on PS before...the wallk around the wall in Dubrovnik...

seaandwall123.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results