shape
carat
color
clarity

Think I found my diamond, would appreciate any advice, + recs for setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amytude

Shiny_Rock
Went to the jewelers this past sat. and thought I was going to look at all round cuts. Lo & behold, he shows me this emerald one. I must say I had some sort of visceral reaction--NEVER did I think I would like this cut--yet, I felt some strange connection to it.

So much for all my "homework" on ideal cuts, etc. Here''s the specs on this GIA certed diamond:

1.52 CT Emerald
1.41:1 ratio (important to me, cuz I want a rectangle, not a square)
F color
SI1 clarity (really a wonderful SI1)
VG polish
G symmetry
girdle is thin-med, but faceted
depth 67.2%

Asking price is $8790 plus tax. Price seems reasonable to me--will try to see if he is able to go any lower. What do you guys think about this price?

Also, is there any phenomenal site or resource *gasps--a book?*out there in which I can find a setting? I know I''d like some side diamonds, but I''m not exactly sure of what I want. It''s basically a "I''ll know it when I see it". I don''t care for pave, I like tapered baguettes, etc., etc.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i love emerald cuts they are sooooooooo elegant. where are you located? we could guide you a bit..............check out artofplatinum.com for some ideas.......

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I think the price is a little high, again a LITTLE high, that I what I would pay for this EC. Based on my experience (type kevinraja in search box, you will find more about this), I think the stone is a little deeper, I would prefere it to be under 65. I would try to negotiate the price down.

Try to use the same specs and do a EC diamond search on Prisescope whether you getting a good deal.

PS. I recently bought a 1.71 EC for little below the price of your stone. I got a DAMN good deal. For your price and carat, you should be able to get a VS2 stone. That is just my opinion.

amytude

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much--I really appreciate your honest insights. BTW, I am located in the Cleveland, OH area.

I think it''s a little high as well, but I''m having a difficult time with an online purchase of this cut of diamond. I''ve been around to stores and it seems with emerald cuts, not all SI1 stones are the same (much easier for a novice like me to detect the inclusions in this cut). So, I''m very hesitant to make this purchase online.

I will search pricescope again to see what I can come up with. Kevinraja--I really want YOUR deal.
9.gif
I''d really like to have a slightly larger stone (around 1.75), so your information was very helpful. I just keep going back & forth on this stone---should I wait or should I buy? I will not be rushed on this purchase, that''s for sure. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Amy

realron75

Rough_Rock
What store did you go to? I live in Cleveland too and would like to find a decent jeweler.

amytude

Shiny_Rock
Realron 75--
I go to my friend''s father, he does not have a storefront and he is located in Portage Lakes (Akron area). He has been doing this for something like 35 years. I trust he is giving me the best deal he is able to do, but he is a one man show and is not able to buy in bulk.

I really liked Kleinhenz in Westlake, their prices are ridiculous, so I''m not sure how much they''re willing to haggle. Customer service there was the best of any storefront I visited. I also like Scheiban?? jewelers in Strongsville.

Anyway, email me at [email protected] if I can give you any more info.

Amy

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Amytude,
If you are not in a RUSH, take your time to find the right stone for the right price. The more you look around, you more you learn about the cut, clarity and other technical details. My search for am EC lasted anywhere between 3-4 months. Whenever you find a stone of interest, you can post the numbers here, and we will be glad to help you.

As far as SI1 inclusion, yes Emerald cuts are very open and show inclusions easily when compared to round or princess cut stones. But if you are lucky you will be able to find a eye-clean SI1. When I mean eye-clean, take a casual look at the stone from about 10-15 inches away. You need to look at the stone from the top. If you can''t see the inclusion, it is a good SI1. Even though it is hard to find a SI1 EC with no inclusions underneath the table, keep that in mind. The more the inclusions are ourside the table area, the inclusions are fine.

Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results