shape
carat
color
clarity

Things that make you go hmm - is it unhygienic to try on earrings?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I had posted a thread about my search for some pearl earrings. In that thread I posted that I had received a pair from Pearl Paradise but they weren't the look I was going for so I returned them (and their policy clearly stated returns are allowed). I included a picture of me trying the earrings on. In fact, PP had sent me a picture prior to my order of someone modeling the exact physical pair they were going to ship to me. A poster commented with a question about whether the vendor takes back "worn earrings" but then deleted their post. To be honest, it never even crossed my mind that I shouldn't try them on before deciding whether to keep them. There's really no way to know how an earring is going to feel or lay without actually trying it on.

I did a bit of googling and it seems like many Etsy type sellers have a no return policy for pierced earrings due to hygienic reasons. But as I think about that I get a bit confused. When trying on an earring, the earring post or wire is simply making contact with the skin that lines the interior of your piercing. How is that any different from trying on a ring, necklace or bracelet? I can understand disallowing the return of jewelry that is used for nose, tongue or other piercings where the earring comes into contact with actual bodily fluids and maybe some earrings are multipurpose and could be used for both a regular ear piercing as well as a nose or tongue piercing???? And I guess maybe certain types of stud earrings could be used by someone to do a self-piercing of their ear lobe????

So is it realistic to suggest that earrings should not be returnable? Should there be a difference for fine jewelry vs. costume jewelry? I.e., should anyone have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on earrings that they are not allowed to try on before deciding to keep?

Things that make you go hmm.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a pair of huggies and received a pair with what looked to be dried pus on the posts (as if they had been worn by someone with infected ears). I was able to return them but that really grossed me out! I understand wanting to try before you buy but that experience definitely makes me appreciate the other side of the coin. Anyway, I think it's common practice to try before you buy/return (in the US at least).

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It’s common isn’t it? Usually the store will use a small piece of alcohol swab to wipe the post to disinfect before you try. I either wash the piece or use a swab when I buy earrings online.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's unhygienic to try on earrings, as the piercing could be an unhealed wound. I thoroughly sterilize and wash earrings before putting them on.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
When paying serious coin for earrings I’m absolutely going to be able to try them on. I need to try on earrings because earring size and piecing placement definitely determines if earring is flattering or not. If I find them unflattering I’m returning. I just returned pair of VCA sweets because they looked weird because of the shape and my low second hole piercing.

I would definitely expect to “try before I buy” with all my jewelry, including earrings. My expectation is that jewelers will just sterilise earrings between trials. That’s what my jeweler does anyway. But I’ve never bought jewelry online.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The poster who posted that takes a “bludgeoned by something blunt” approach to many of her communications. Don’t take it personally.

Any precious metal used in jewellery - whatever alloy, whatever method of manufacture - can be sterilized. It’s not difficult or complicated to do at all. I know the UK did have (currently has?) some archaic regulation about not allowing earrings to be returned if their hygiene seals are broken… As best as I can tell those seals won’t allow you to try anything on. Wood and plastic is different, those I would have concerns with, with something that goes into a piercing. But metal? Nothing to worry about as long as it’s been disinfected.

If the world took “no returns on used earrings because they’re not hygienic” as gospel… No one could ever share earrings with friends and family, no one could wear inherited earrings, there wouldn’t be a vintage/antique market at all, and even things like vintage crystal and flatware would be unsaleable…

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
for new earings here its a big yuck
(different if its freinds and families and i agree easy to disinfectant)

but here its in the same category as swim suits and nickers
most stores have a no rerurn policy if earrings have been warn so ive found it a big surprise to read of earings going back and forth on here

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The poster who posted that takes a “bludgeoned by something blunt” approach to many of her communications. Don’t take it personally.

Any precious metal used in jewellery - whatever alloy, whatever method of manufacture - can be sterilized. It’s not difficult or complicated to do at all. I know the UK did have (currently has?) some archaic regulation about not allowing earrings to be returned if their hygiene seals are broken… As best as I can tell those seals won’t allow you to try anything on. Wood and plastic is different, those I would have concerns with, with something that goes into a piercing. But metal? Nothing to worry about as long as it’s been disinfected.

If the world took “no returns on used earrings because they’re not hygienic” as gospel… No one could ever share earrings with friends and family, no one could wear inherited earrings, there wouldn’t be a vintage/antique market at all, and even things like vintage crystal and flatware would be unsaleable…

The archaic regulation is current European Union consumer law.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Trying on earrings (in the ear) is only slightly different than touching something with two fingers. It's always a good idea to clean any new earrings (posts, etc.) with alcohol before wearing anyway, which would sanitize them regardless of any type of prior handling.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t understand the law at all. Metal can be sterilized and easily.

Hasn’t anyone tried in clothes, shoes or even had their makeup done by a makeup artists? Those materials are far more porous, and even then can be washed or sterilized to some degree

Gosh a trip on public transit is probably far nastier than trying on a pair of earrings that can be wiped down! Obviously I expect vendors to clean things that are returned. I would’ve been thoroughly disgusted @Rhd3

I just think modern world has fetishized cleanliness to a fault

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this has been the norm in NZ for as long as i can remember or it has been so by my experience
no returns on peireced earings - regardless if you have tried them on or not
items can still be returned if faulty though

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results