shape
carat
color
clarity

Thin to Medium girdle is too thin for tension setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
I am in love with the look of tension set diamonds, but after seeing a couple of posts about them, it seems like you need to have a ticker girdle.

I had been intending to look for a diamond that was listed as a Thin to Medium, or Medium faceted. Will that be too thin for tension setting?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If im recalling right one manufacturer that used to post here said that med was the thinnest they will set in them.
his website is:
http://www.boonerings.com/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd directly contact the companies that do this work.
Gelin Abaci – California
www.gelinabaci.com

Steven Kretchmer - New York www.stevenkretchmer.com/
Niessing - Germany. Can’t find their website.

I think they actually want to see the stone before they accept the job.
Clarity is also an issue.
Very low clarity can mean the stone doesn't have the structural integerity to safely withstand the pressure of a tension setting.

If I had my heart set on a tension setting I'd stay away from a low-clarity stone, especially if its report was not from AGS or GIA.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
BigT, you also might want to find out exactly what parts of the girdle are thin...I believe it is possible that the majority could be medium and that it''s only thin in a small area...I think the sarin will tell you that....right anyone?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea, really... this is what I''ve herad too (most likely from the instructions of one of the tension set rings) - that ''medium'' is the thinnest. But then, it is also said that SI clarity is not acceptable for tension settings and there are quite a few SI2s set in them. Go figure
2.gif

The one way to find out is ask, I guess. ''Medium'' girdle sounds conservative enough if it needs be - IMO. There should be some around like that.

Just my 0.2. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results