shape
carat
color
clarity

thin gridle question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

v3research

Rough_Rock
Looking at a 1 ct Round Brilliant ... 6.51x6.54x3.99. AGS report says girdle is faceted .02-1.2%
I like everything else about the stone ... should I be worried about the girdle?
Is it too thin ... a chip problem?
Thanks
21.gif

A novice

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Although I''m no expert, there are still 2 categories of girdle thinness that could be of concern....very thin and extremely thin....the Ex thin label can be prone to chipping, definitely! But a thin girdle, in itself, doesn''t necessary mean that the diamond will be prone to chipping...

Hopefully the experts will chime in here....

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no pro either, but these girdle stats were ones I found on pricescope when I was looking into girdle thickness:

AGS
Very thin 0.091 - 0.50%
Thin 0.51 - 1.2%
Medium 1.21 - 1.7%
Slightly thick 1.71 - 2.95%
Thick 2.96 - 4.2%
Very thick 4.21 - 5.7%
Extremely Thick: >= 5.71 %

The advice was to buy a stone in the thin to slightly thick range. That way you avoid getting one with too thin a girdle that would be more likely to chip vs one with too thick a girdle that would mean you''d get less spread for weight. Sounds like the 0.02% girdle would put you into Extremely thin range to me!

Good luck!
Drk

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know where to find images of these girdle thicknesses????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results