shape
carat
color
clarity

"The War" on PBS....whatja think??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was really excellent...and so educational for me. I loved learning about what was going on on the Home Front. I''m so glad Ken Burns got this done before the last WWII veterans are gone.

I came away from it with at least two new opinions: That even a "good war" is bad beyond belief.

Also, I''m now thinking that maybe dropping those A-bombs on Japan was the right thing to do, and in the long run saved American and Japanese lives...

What do you think?

widget

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had seen more. I only caught it last night. Whoa.. those photographs...and so many of the fellas looked really young. Many lied about their age to get in so many of those boys looked 16-17. I think it was well done and agree the bombs were neseccary to end the war.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
It was (the actual war) horrendous. We go on and on about Vietnam and the 57,000 who lost their lives -- 57,000 would have been about a month or two of casualties in WWII from what I could gather from this show!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad was in ww2 (Navy) and he was re-training for the invasion of Japan when the bombs were dropped and the war ended.
There is a good chance that I wouldn't be here if the bombs hadn't been dropped.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2007 6:14:27 PM
Author: strmrdr
My dad was in ww2 (Navy) and he was re-training for the invasion of Japan when the bombs were dropped and the war ended.
There is a good chance that I wouldn''t be here if the bombs hadn''t been dropped.
Does it sound very harsh of me to say that I could be kindda glad for the bombs then ;}
30.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
So many things I didn''t know. That we sent our own Japanese-Americans inland to a concentrated living section??? We did? That confused me. And how that Japanese-American woman told the story from her pov as a young woman. She said, I''m an American. I don''t know the first thing about living in Japan. Please don''t send us there. I don''t have any rights there. Now I don''t feel like I have any rights here. Very heartbreaking. But our Japanese-American population complied.

I loved the Point Of View throughout the whole film. It truely was more interesting for me to learn and retain the information when told through the eyes of everyday people like me - than it was in History 101 to memorize Generals names, dates, names of battles, warfare strategies...

I''m thinking of making that donation just so I have the music...

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I really enjoy the 1940s. I love the history, the music, the clothes, all thinkgs americana from the day. I am always drawn to programs like that and I watched it for several hours

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think his stuff is amazing. Civil war, the history of Jazz, Baseball etc...his coverage and the breadth and depth of his series are unequaled. I love the human side of things, not just the technical aspects of a war, but who was involved and how it impacted them. I bought the dvd''s and we watch them with my two older kids, and they are loving it too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results