shape
carat
color
clarity

The Ultimate Decagon VS Nova showdown. New top dog?

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Hello again diamond aficionados!

I'm trying to create the most complete comparison, to date, of the Decagon 111 facet (+ round 111 facet) vs Octagon Nova 137 facet designed by Paul Hung at JP.
When I was choosing a stone for my E-ring, the Nova promo video had just come out shortly prior. I felt I didn't have enough info in order to make the best decision possible. The stakes were high, I wanted to get the most awesome diamond I could for the gal who deserves exactly that, and more. I hope I can arm someone with a bit more information, so they can make a more informed decision than I could at the time.
As more information becomes available, perhaps encountered while scrolling through Singaporean hardware forums, I'll try to add to this thread. If others could do the same I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comparison video between the Nova and Decagon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are some Gcal8x reports showing an example of each of the cuts.

Round 57 facet SIC (for reference) - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=322360567

Decagon 111 facet - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332580016 (my one).

Round 111 facet - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332580020.

Nova 137 facet - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332060064.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire videos -

1701256410540.png 1701256285861.png

"ASET" tilt videos

https://youtu.be/OgJveOYRepc

1701259977197.png 1701260223220.png 1701260262341.png

Darkfield Videos -

1701351797425.png 1701351850038.png

UV free Vids -

1701352005391.png 1701352056368.png

Viewer 360 html spiny photos -

1701352194238.png 1701352171326.png 1701353602926.png
1701353662189.png 1701353902718.png 1701353813728.png

For me the Decagon FAQ video sealed the deal. Only after I paid for this thing did I realise the it has "face up" hearts visible. As far as I'm aware this doesn't exist in non trash-tier diamonds. I'm seemingly the only one who thinks this is awesome and this definatly biases me. For context I'm getting heart shaped prongs on the main ring and probably on the decagon wedding band also.

FYI the Nova does not come smaller than .5 ct at the moment because of its crazy facet structure. I'm planning to match a gents decagon wedding band to match my partners. This would not be possible with the Nova because of these size limitations.

Is this enough info to make a descision?

I'd love to hear what the PS experts think.

I hope some of you at least find this interesting!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
To me, it's like comparing the Northern Lights to the migration of Monarch butterflies. Love them both for their own beauty.

Thanks for all the info, @SparkleMax! Please post photos of the ring when it arrives!

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Good analogy 0515vision! The ring should get shipped today! :D I'll make a post when it gets here about my experience with JP+.

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
These ones didn't fit in the original post as there is a max of 15 attachments. I think the Novas Hearts and Arrows image looks so cool. Maybe the first time published? as it is not featured on the Gcal8x reports.

1701415467150.jpeg 1701415489014.jpeg
1701415547036.jpeg
1701415590988.png

1701415796669.png
1701415856253.png

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
@Shiyui, lurker extraordinaire, I'm a bit of a doofus so only just realised how to "call people up" with the @ symbol. I still have an open line of communication with Chloe. I was thinking I could ask her that deposit question on your behalf.

1- Did you still need/want me too?

2- Did you want to word it in a particular way or ask another question instead/as well?

As payment for this service I ask that when you do finally get your ring, you post it and "call me up" so I don't miss it.

Also is the decagon still "top dog" in your eyes?

noqub

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am just about to make an order and I have few questions. Do you appreciate the decagon cut on every day basis or it was more show than go? I mean on the videos it looks breathtaking.
If you had to choose, would you go for the
A) 2.5-2.75 tcw octagon nova (GCAL g/h, vs1-2, 8x Ex)?
or
B) 3.00-3.5 tcw brilliant cut (different supplier) with similar specs

A „Real life experience“ advice would help me a lot

Thanks very much

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@noqub you have a very specific question and might get better answers if you start your own thread.

Keep in mind almost no one has seen a Nova in person. We have several decagon owners on PS, though. Also the Nova is more of a transitional cut, so it depends on what style you want. There was someone here who returned their Nova. Seemed like they didn’t like the face ring pattern but they weren’t super clear on what they didn’t like.

As far me, I have tiny decagons in a band, and it outshines larger hand-me-down melee all the time. They are crisp white, and it’s easy to see their superior light return in low light, like when I’m walking back to the apartment in the dark under street lights.

Between your two choices, I’d always go JP if I could afford the option. Also, in general, owning a branded stone is always a plus.

If you start a new thread asking specifically about decagons, MRBs and the Nova, we can tag some JP owners for you and see if they chime in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results