shape
carat
color
clarity

The start of my collection...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
What I see is a light lavender stone, with light flashes in real life. I cannot see the inclusions...except for the rutile needle but only at the right angle for that.

LavSpinel627.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hope these photos are not too big. The stone is smaller, .75 carat (6mm, or less, I will have to look it up again). It is quite flashy IRL. You can see it has a feather or two and some bubbles in these photos.

Laura

LavSpinel628.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Another one, this color that looks brownish is a reflection, not the stone.

LavSpinel629.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Last photo, what looks like grain is the texture of the flocked foam under the stone.

LavSpinel630.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
One more of the Spess Heart showing more of its flash, not too bad for a darkish room. This is a subtle stone.

SpessHeartMastercutgems618.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Few more of the Morogoro Pink Spinel showing its colors and polish a bit better. It also shows darker than it is IRL, I''ll have to work on better lighting for photos.

MorogoroSpinelMCG  619.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
This stone is 6mm and right at 1 carat.

MorogoroSpinelMCG  620.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Last new photo of this stone

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Last one...again lots of colors in this stone, though lighter in my eye.

MorogoroSpinelMCG621.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Last, my little 7mm x 5mm sphene from Dana..this one IS very hard to photograph, particularly indoors, will keep trying. It looks like it may have a bit of a window, but I don''t see it so much in person, and I may set it later...it''s so fun to look at though!

SpheneMCG  622.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
You can see the inclusions that help it have lots of dispersion. I''m so glad a purchased a few less expensive stones to look at so that I can get an idea of how the inclusions appear. Someone else was talking about that. The inclusions in these stones do not reduce the sparkle and are helping educate my eye on what to look for as I learn more about colored stones.

You can see a bit of the dispersion here, but not its fiery little self. I resized a bit smaller this time.

MCGSphene632.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of green and red flashes in a clearer photo.

MCGSphene1633.jpg

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Largosmom,
Do you mind asking Dana a question on my behalf about your stones, or rather, his cutting in general? I noticed that all your stones have a very thick girdle. Well, at least thicker than I’m used to seeing. I’m curious to know the reason for that.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Certainly...but you got me curious, so I checked the girdles on my stones tonight with the loupe and my digital caliper. It could be a coincidence, camera angles, or the stone type, maybe? I showed more of the spinels than the narrower stones, except for the amethysts. Average for all of my stones seems to be around .3mm at the girdle, while the two spinels are closer to .5mm.

Here are my results for all my stones:

1) Nigerian Spess Heart, cut by Dana, 9.5x8mm, ~.3mm at girdle
2) Tunduru Lav Spinel round, cut by Dana, 5.6mm, ~.5mm at girdle
3) Madagascar Sphene oval, cut by Dana, 7.5 x 5mm, ~.3mm at girdle
4) Morogoro Spinel round, cut by ? (paper says "cust cut"), 6mm, ~.5mm at girdle
5) Amethyst Round Pair, cut by Gary Braun, 8mm, ~.25-3mm at girdle
6) Blue Zircon round, cut by unknown, 7.5mm, ~3mm at girdle

I will point him to this thread, though and we'll see if he has a comment on it. I'm certainly interested in learning more and if there is a "norm" for these stones. I don't have too many to choose from!

Laura

edited to add...dropped a note to Dana and am trying to play with the new camera on the other stones...hope you don't mind! The spinels cooperated best so far.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I know who cut which stone, together with your measurements, it''s only the spinels that have a thicker girdle. I wonder why that is so...perhaps it''s something to do with that particular spinel? The rest seems to have a reasonable girdle thickness in relation to their overall mm measurement.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Largosmom and Chrono;

I hope you both are doing well
28.gif

The mm thickness of a girdle to me as a setter also falls in to a few categories; If a gem is to be bezel set in 14k gold especially white I will usually radius the girdle which means after it is cut our standard faceted girdle way you will put the quill into free-spin and while on pre-polish you will take off the the sharp angular edges; therefore making it easier to fold the metal around when setting.

To me and many other cutters it is a rule of the eye as to how thick you leave the girdle in relationship to the general size of the gem so things look proportionate.

Well after cutting for the trade for many years and coming in contact on a daily basis with the setters and also setting myself; I have come to the conclusion I had rather set a stone with a medium to heavy girdle apposed to a thin or razor girdle and definitely not a precision cut thin girdle as they are very fragile.

With all the different mounts like halos, bezels, half bezels, split prongs, pave, etc. so many times I ask what setting it will go in before I cut as to make it a safer set. If they are to be pave they must all be cut the same depth and girdle thickness, etc. as that is precision setting and it all must be the same or very, very close...

My general rule of thumb may be totally different from other cutters but it has worked well for me; a 6mm stone in a standard prong setting 14k white gold will be .3 to .5mm girdle thickness ; if it is bezel set .3 to .4 mm rounded. I also find if you polish the girdle facets the thickness shows up much less as I know many cutters do not polish girdle facets??? Not to say anyone on this board as a cutter does not but I know over 200 cutters...

So I try to stay above .2mm on all and below .8mm on all as I think it will maybe cause issues with not having enough prong height to make a good seat for the gem; unless it is a 25mm+ gem and then it all changes as to what will look correct with the size of the gem.

I also use a radius or ball burr to cut in my seats especially in 14k standard white as we all know nickel and gold do not marry well and a radius is much stronger and less likely to create a microscopic fracture that you may not see for some time and then a sharp blow could make the tip to break off the prong. I also have 8 years as a tool and die maker and everyone knows a radius is stronger than a 90 degree edge. Just some tricks of the trade you learn along the way to keep you out of trouble later as I know no one wants a prong tip to come off and the client lose their gem
29.gif

I hope all this makes sense and Merry Christmas
28.gif

Nothing I say as to cutters, setters, etc. has to do with anyone on this forum it is a statement made from dealing with hundreds of cutters and stone setters throughout the last 20 years... So I hope no one takes any of this personally as it is not meant that way...
30.gif

Most Respectfully

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
that''s the start of a gorgeous and unique collection!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, and thanks, Dana for the education!

When I was looking at Sapphires for my E-Ring, I skipped one solely due to the very thin girdle. It''s something I will wear all the time and I don''t want to see it damaged for that reason (it was a native cut stone I was looking at).

I just got my color-change sapphire from Jeff White today...guessing it will be around 3mm too...but won''t know till I get it home.

Laura

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH. MY. WORD. LAURA!!!

I cannot believe all the gorgeous colored stones that you have! What an awesome collection!

I know next-to-nothing about CSs, have pretty much been a diamonds-only kinda girl... but I''m hoping to dip my toes into the CS waters here soon!

***LOVING*** THEM!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your super close up pics. Nice new gems. You''ve been busy!!
36.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lynn and Chrono,

Must say I'm really happy with the new camera. It is a newer model of one I have had for a long time. It has a macro zoom feature, and the closeups are really good if I can hold it steady enough. The photos are fairly full frame, I did not have to crop much and the resolution is several times the old one, which also helps.

Must say that it may be a bit deceiving on the girdle widths though! Now to get to setting these stones next year.

Laura

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Your collection is amazing! I especially liked your amethysts. Keep them coming
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results