shape
carat
color
clarity

The Sopranos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Ok. .....anyone else sooo excited for Sunday!! It''s been years!!

I''m making a Sopranos theme dinner with red/white check table cloth, red wine and pasta and cannoli''s. Can''t wait!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We will be watching!! Hubby got a walk on role and we had a party to watch him. He was on the last bit of the show and if you blinked you would have missed him. A friend of a friend was connected to the show. Funny thing was it was a beach scene and they filmed it in the dead of winter in NJ. Luckily he got to wear a business suit instead of a bathing suit. He said everyone froze their as* off waiting to be filmed. It''s not as fun as it seems.
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have mixed feelings bout the return of the show.

In the past years us and our friends had parties to celebrate a season starting or finishing on the sopranos...one year we even did a dress up party where we all came as characters..hehee.

But I totally feel like they just screw with the fans. The hiatus between seasons just grew longer and longer and this last one was just ridiculous. It's been over 2 years I think. This is the last season of I think 9 episodes (or 11?) and then they are doing a mini season of 6 more episodes before ending the show.

Seriously it's been so long that I am trying to remember what even happened, much less trying to bring myself to care about the characters and their problems. Talk about losing the momentum that you gain with an excellent show by putting it to rest for 6/9/12/24 months....alot of our same friends who used to love the show are like 'oh is it starting this weekend?'...no big deal at all. I think they have lost some fans, we'll see if they can reclaim them. If they care! As the last season, maybe they don't.

All I can say is it better be good.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband''s pretty excited about it, but I can''t say I''m as jazzed as he is. He''s been watching all the old episodes HBO''s been airing recently, so he''s back into it now.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''m sooo ready for the Sopranos to be back! I''ll be camped out in front of my TV this Sunday eve!

Yes, it''s been waaay too long since the last season, but both HBO and David Chase are brilliant (and knew what they were doing). There were a ton of reasons why the "hiatus" lasted this long. It was all red tape, and talent/creative issues. There were so many rumors floating around, including that both David Chase and James Gandolfini didn''t want to come back. I don''t think it''s left the public soured, instead it''s one of the most highly anticipated season premieres in TV history. Regardless, you won''t see raings like those of "American Idol", as the business models are just too different. You can''t judge it''s success on ratings alone.

I work in the cable biz, and "Sopranos buzz" in the industry this week has been high. I heard that there was a copy of the season premiere floating around the office here, but there''s no way I would take a peek.

If anyone needs a season 5 "refresher", HBO2 has been running double episodes in the eves all this week.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 1:13:57 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
I''m sooo ready for the Sopranos to be back! I''ll be camped out in front of my TV this Sunday eve!

Yes, it''s been waaay too long since the last season, but both HBO and David Chase are brilliant (and knew what they were doing). There were a ton of reasons why the ''hiatus'' lasted this long. It was all red tape, and talent/creative issues. There were so many rumors floating around, including that both David Chase and James Gandolfini didn''t want to come back. I don''t think it''s left the public soured, instead it''s one of the most highly anticipated season premieres in TV history. Regardless, you won''t see raings like those of ''American Idol'', as the business models are just too different. You can''t judge it''s success on ratings alone.

I work in the cable biz, and ''Sopranos buzz'' in the industry this week has been high. I heard that there was a copy of the season premiere floating around the office here, but there''s no way I would take a peek.

If anyone needs a season 5 ''refresher'', HBO2 has been running double episodes in the eves all this week.
Actually there was an article in the NYT last week or the week before where they interviewed James and David and talked about this year, and I think I recall that part of the issue was that Davd''s son was in that huge amount of legal trouble and he had to take care of his family but also he said that basically HBO was trying to shut them down and make last season the ''end'', and they lobbied very hard for one more season and then added a mini-season. So I wonder if the ratings the last year were not as remotely good as before?

In terms of being soured, it''s just everyone I know...not America...hahaha. I just find it interesting because the level of interest is so not there for anyone I know anymore, and I think that the long hiatus'' really did kind of make people go WHAT and then they just moved on. I still think we''ll watch it (we''re talking about getting together) but it''s not like OMG i can''t wait to see what happens this year. It''s just like heh okay.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 1:35:05 PM
Author: Mara
In terms of being soured, it''s just everyone I know...not America...hahaha.
Color me "not jazzed" as well. I have a very short attention span for "hot" shows. I wanted to cancel our HBO ''cause nothings on it anymore but my FI is all "Soprano''s is starting". Big fat meh. Fur-meh-about-it!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I can not wait!!! We've been watching all the re-runs for the millionth time in anticipation of the new season. I don't care how long they are on hiatus, when they come back, I'm there!! I really hope this isn't the end of this saga. I love the Sopranos and a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that I grew up in NJ and often had suspicions about certain families in our area and now I see that I may have been right!! I feel like I know these people that I see on the television!

Yes, we're having pasta, sausage and wine to celebrate the new season. And I'm looking forward to watching that new show after it with Bill Paxton about the polygamist.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so reading through this thread again has got me thinking that I should "do it up" for my husband and take a clue from you people who really, really get into Sopranos with your theme dinners, lol! I think I will do some mostaciolli (sp!?), sausage (for him, I''m a veg), and grab some cannolis and tiramisu from a fabulous bakery in a neighboring suburb. Maybe I''ll go all out and don a blond wig a la Carmela, ha ha! Probably not, though, that is nearing the realm of overkill!

We have so many Italian "beef stands" and restaurants in the neighborhood you could swing an arm and smack one...it''s really tempting to just order carry-out! Hmm, I think I will do just that! I will set the table, at least, maybe make use of that wedding china that''s been eaten on exactly four times in the past two years.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i was just in the pantry getting spices for dinner and noticed, forgot i had The Sopranos cookbook! Did anyone else get that...I got mine about 2 years ago when Sopranos was still super popular and we were all obsessed.

I may bust something out for the party on Sunday night at my friends house, we''ll see how motivated I am that morning... hehee.

I could always just stop at Bucca di Beppos and get a big ole dish of something...since we''re all supposed to bring something...hehee.

I''m not dressing up this year though, too darn lazy. Maybe I''ll wear a Juicy outfit since it''s velour and tight, that counts for Adriana right? Oh that''s right, she''s dead. I don''t wanna be dead!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
AAAACCCKKKK!!!! The Cable Co. just switched our package around and now we have to add a whole new package for HBO and I''ve not had time to do it.
29.gif
Of all the rotten timing
38.gif

They need to be Whacked!!!!!

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 10:13:07 PM
Author: monarch64
OK, so reading through this thread again has got me thinking that I should ''do it up'' for my husband and take a clue from you people who really, really get into Sopranos with your theme dinners, lol! I think I will do some mostaciolli (sp!?), sausage (for him, I''m a veg), and grab some cannolis and tiramisu from a fabulous bakery in a neighboring suburb. Maybe I''ll go all out and don a blond wig a la Carmela, ha ha! Probably not, though, that is nearing the realm of overkill!

We have so many Italian ''beef stands'' and restaurants in the neighborhood you could swing an arm and smack one...it''s really tempting to just order carry-out! Hmm, I think I will do just that! I will set the table, at least, maybe make use of that wedding china that''s been eaten on exactly four times in the past two years.
2.gif
It sounds like it would be fun for you guys!! Definately bring out the china :)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t have cared less even though I''ve seen the old episodes. then hubby started watching the re-runs and I watched them too and really enjoyed the episoldes more.

And I got two words for ya. BEN KINGSLEY. I mean, it doesn''t get any better than Ben.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''ve got a little party going now! We have a couple friends coming over now, one of whom will bring cannolis and tiramisu from his favorite bakery. We''re ordering carryout from a restaurant in another suburb which I will not name because we know there are definitely "connections." My in-laws eat there every Friday night, it''s the type of joint the menu written on a huge chalkboard on the wall (vesuvio anything, killer baked clams, mussels and linguine, garbage salad, it goes on and on and is ALL fantastic), and pics of the owners with Sinatra and the rest of the Rat Pack. It''s kind of a hole in the wall, but there''s a definite sense of the "old world" going on.

So, I need your help with a question about some Soprano lingo! We were watching the last episode tonight with friends, and after Tony kills Tony B., his cousin, he comes back to the Bada Bing and one of the guys has coffee and a (sounds like) "biali" for him. It looked to me like an English muffin...he was eating it with two hands, though. Our other question was "what''s a schvetedel?" I googled Italian pastry and came up with "sfogliatelle," which is a pastry kind of like a cannoli. Can''t find anything that sounds like "biali" though! Does anyone know???? It''s going to bug the crap out of me! HELP!
33.gif
34.gif

I think the china will be fun...and a good excuse for me to run out tomorrow for a new tablecloth--I have a ton of seasonal ones, but it would be fun to find something a bit more formal. I have a white one we received as a wedding gift, but truthfully it''s not heavy enough and is a synthetic fiber of some sort and I''d rather have something a little nicer. Funny how I can always find an excuse to shop for these impromptu occasions!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking Fettucine Primavera, I have been wanting to try that one from the cookbook for a long time!!!

And I think I can get cannolis from this local Italian Deli...friends are bringing garlic bread, another pasta dish, salad and lotsa wine!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised (and so were my husband and our friends) with this episode! No spoilers, though...

Our dinner was fabulous--sausage, peppers, and pasta for the guys and two other girls, and cavatelli with vodka sauce for me...minestrone soup, garbage salad, and a plethora of Italian pastries for dessert. I picked up a few choice bottles of Chilean reds this afternoon and they were a hit! We watched our Tivo''d last episode from two years ago for the pre-party (the one where Adrianna gets whacked) so that was on during apps.

I look forward to more parties this season, or at least planning the finale party, for sure! Hope everyone had a great time with their parties as well!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
GREAT episode! Looking forward to an awesome final season.

I'm staying mum on the details- don't want to get whacked!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
It was really great tonight! My husband was quite shocked at the ending. I on the other hand suspected something was up and wasn''t so shocked at what transpired. Can''t wait til next week and either our tivo cut us off or they didn''t show any previews??? We are hanging on for next Sunday lol

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
there were no previews!!
39.gif

interesting first episode!! they did a good job...i loved the first opening dream sequence. ending was not sooo much of a shocker, you kinda could see ''something'' coming with how

we had fettucine primavera, penne with sausage, garlic bread and tiramisu for dessert over at our friend''s house... oh and lots of chianti!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMMMMMM. Everyone''s dinners sound delish. I couldn''t bring myself to watch the premiere, but I''m sorry I missed the G-R-U-B!!!
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it was pretty good. Hey did anyone see the show that followed?? About a guy with 3 wives?? Oh geez that was that the worst. No clue what it is called.
ETA: It was interesting but a little painful to watch. I'll have to watch it again next week to give it another shot.
2.gif
I didn't see the whole show, so there ya go.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the new show is called "Big Love".
*Spoiler*

Who thinks Uncle Junior is faking it?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Big Love seems so awesome, definitely another groundbreaking show from HBO...they always toe the line. Not everyone loves it of course. I saw the cast of BL on the view last week and it was interesting to hear their take on the show and the storylines..apparently they had to do all this research on polygamy and the like. I also saw previews for it and it seems so interesting, not mainstream but the dynamics between those involved seem intriguing. I missed the premiere, caught the last 20 min on TiVo but figure they will re-air it this week.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
I watched Big Love and I kind of liked it. FI said it was "painful" but I thought it was pretty interesting. I mean, I won''t judge it by its first episode, but if I did, I would say it doesn''t hold a candle to Sex and the City or Sopranos...
2.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Damn...that was the show I''ve been wanting to see and had no idea it was on right after. We had to tivo Sopranos because our kids go to bed at 8 so by the time they get in bed and we pick up it''s about 9 before we sit to watch tv. I guess I''ll have to add another show to my tivo...sigh, my husband already thinks there is too much on there but I guess we are getting what we pay for when I''m using it so much
3.gif

I guess I''ll try to catch it when they reair it sometime this week.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I soooo love this show but have never watched it except as rentals. We don''t have the channels that carries it (although I am thinking about getting it just for this!) so I wondered if someone would please tell me what happened in the season premiere last night?!?

I think/hope that everyone who wanted to would have seen it by now?

Thanks in advance.

Heather

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 7:29:46 PM
Author: monarch64
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11714744/

This article gives a great synopsis of last night''s episode! And this way I don''t ruin it for anyone who hasn''t seen it yet!
Thank you so much monarch!!!! I appreciate it very much.

Heather

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
I thought the show was great! I am so excited that it''s finally back on. Can''t wait to see where they are gonna go with everything.

Oh- Madame Bijoux- I agree with you. Or at least i hope that is the case.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
YEY, they are giving us a free week of HBO(since changing our format and taking it away) so I get to see it this week. Need to take the time to redo our programming format so I get it again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results