shape
carat
color
clarity

The rough for my Octavia (pics)...

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
DF this is so cool, and it's neat that you get the satellite diamond too. Have you decided what you will do with the satellite stone? Thanks for sharing this process with the pricescope community.

Kroshka

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a neat thread this will be, & what fun to watch the 'birth' of your new Octavia!! Thank you for sharing! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, I am thinking here that since Lorelei is your British better half, she at least expects to have the "lesser" half as I am sure you will not get your hands off the "better" one. Alternatively, DF you can have a change of heart and send me the "lesser" half instead. But I better stay on Lorelei's good side here, I am afraid that I am pushing it...

Still curious what came out as to the satellite.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1402868936|3693764 said:
How much did the original rough weigh, and how large is the satellite diamond, and what shape was it cut in?

Details, we want details! :lol:
It looks like a high clarity Cushion?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF you are so lucky! Talk about a fascinating experience for a jewelry lover! This is better than just a custom finished piece.

I can't wait to watch this progress.

Thanks so much to you and to Diagem for sharing!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, I'd just want to mount that frosty rock and call it a day. That's amazing...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the nice comments... :wavey:
Yoram promised to post more photos as the polishing progresses... :appl: :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stupid question, however, DF, do you get to keep the cushion stone cut from your piece of rough please?

DK :))

proto

Shiny_Rock
One of the coolest threads I have seen on RT for a while!

I would also be tempted just to wear the rough for a while before cutting into it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1402894005|3693975 said:
VRBeauty|1402868936|3693764 said:
How much did the original rough weigh, and how large is the satellite diamond, and what shape was it cut in?

Details, we want details! :lol:
It looks like a high clarity Cushion?

The Rough weight started at approx 5 carat.
The satellite stone is slightly elongated (1:1.20) Old Mine Cut of 0.225 carats.
Measurements:4.11x3.42x2.19mm
CH: 20.8%
Table: 56.2%
Girdle thickness:1.6% (0.06mm.)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1402870928|3693774 said:
Yoram, let me see if I'm following you.

You've polished 3 small 'windows' on the diamond to see into it ... plus the table which now functions as a large window to see into the stone.

I think I have cropped where the 3 windows are located.
Is this correct?

Yes, partly correct.
In this specific case I polished nine different windows, six crown/pavilion (triangular windows - top crop image), two opposing girdle windows (elongated marquise shaped windows) and one on the crown/corner (where the feather is located).

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1402870986|3693775 said:
Yoram, what is this line for?

The (continuous laser line) is for the approximate positioning and shape blocking. When you visualize this from the culet this is what you see:

shapelasermark.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1402907697|3694025 said:
Stupid question, however, DF, do you get to keep the cushion stone cut from your piece of rough please?

DK :))
I don't think so, but if Yorom have no use for it I'll take it!.. :naughty:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went looking to see if any more updates. Can't wait to see this one get finished. Think we need a temporary sticky post :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid|1403049376|3695339 said:
Went looking to see if any more updates. Can't wait to see this one get finished. Think we need a temporary sticky post :lol:

+1 sticky please

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
:appl: so cool never saw a project start fro a rough can't wait to see the results.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DG...Now that you have cut off the top of the rough any guess on the color/clarity of my stone?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1403326332|3697800 said:
DG...Now that you have cut off the top of the rough any guess on the color/clarity of my stone?
The outcome of the toppy gives me some kind of hypothesis, but since the polished outcome (of the top) is a significantly smaller portion of the larger stone the info is not accurate enough for me to declare a potential color outcome in regards to the main Diamond.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't think I've ever been as excited following someone else's project to fruition. I love that you are sharing this experience with us!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1403352650|3697923 said:
The outcome of the toppy gives me some kind of hypothesis, but since the polished outcome (of the top) is a significantly smaller portion of the larger stone the info is not accurate enough for me to declare a potential color outcome in regards to the main Diamond.

Is that because:
1. Diamond color is not the same in all parts of the diamond?
or
2. In a smaller diamond light passes through less material, which just tints the light less?
or
3. The toppy is a cushion but the main diamond will be a Step Cut. The light bounces back and forth more times in a cushion cut, picking up more color?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1403368218|3698056 said:

Is that because:
1. Diamond color is not the same in all parts of the diamond?
or
2. In a smaller diamond light passes through less material, which just tints the light less?
or
3. The toppy is a cushion but the main diamond will be a Step Cut. The light bounces back and forth more times in a cushion cut, picking up more color?

Basically all of the above..., the disparity in size is a major cause plus the fluorescence masks the potential visual differences as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yoram. :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DG...what is the color on the smaller stone ?wouldn't it be the same as my Octavia? ... :confused:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1403375943|3698131 said:
DG...what is the color on the smaller stone ?wouldn't it be the same as my Octavia? ... :confused:
DF, one of the reasons I rather not get into the potential of things ahead of time is avoiding speculations.
Usualy & naturally the smaller portion of the two parts will usualy have less quantity of color presence.
In our case since the portions are extreme in size disparities and feature blue fluorescence they probabely won't be the same in the color quantity at the end of the process. But that is also no law set in stone...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF did you pay one fixed price regardless of the resulting carat weight, color and clarity?
If not, are you obligated to buy it regardless of final specs at some as-yet undisclosed price, or were several prices quoted to cover all possible weight and grade combinations?
Do you own the rough, IOW if it were to explode on the wheel do you still have to pay for it?
Who's risk is it?
We always read here that if we submit a diamond for recutting the risk is 100% ours.
Is there insurance for such a concern for such a project?

I realize I'm asking personal and perhaps rude questions, so you are totally free to not answer or even respond.

I'm just curious how such a unique project, with so many complicated business considerations, would be structured and priced for GOG and the customer to agree to to proceed.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is so freaking cool! You are so lucky, DF!!! (I'm envious... in a good way) :naughty: ;)) :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very awesome!!! :appl: I wish I had pictures in progress of my Yoram stone!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me either.. what a talent Mr. Yoram is!!! I cannot imagine being able to do this.. the Octavia is the most beautiful of stones!! I too agree, thank you so much for sharing this glorious and serious experience with me and all.

kate

Mikla|1403360344|3697961 said:
I don't think I've ever been as excited following someone else's project to fruition. I love that you are sharing this experience with us!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1403380823|3698173 said:
DF did you pay one fixed price regardless of the resulting carat weight, color and clarity?
If not, are you obligated to buy it regardless of final specs at some as-yet undisclosed price, or were several prices quoted to cover all possible weight and grade combinations?
Do you own the rough, IOW if it were to explode on the wheel do you still have to pay for it?
Who's risk is it?
We always read here that if we submit a diamond for recutting the risk is 100% ours.

I realize I'm asking personal and perhaps rude questions, so you are totally free to not answer or even respond.

I'm just curious how such a unique project, with so many complicated business considerations, would be structured and priced for GOG and the customer to agree to to proceed.
Kenny...I think it would be best for Jon to answer these Qs.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1403392099|3698264 said:
kenny|1403380823|3698173 said:
Who's risk is it?

Kenny...I think it would be best for Jon to answer these Qs.

No problem.
I bet I'm not the only one who has wondered about the gory details of commissioning such a project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results