shape
carat
color
clarity

THE REAL POLL: What style is your engagement ring?

What style is your engagement ring?

• Classic (e.g. tiffany style setting, cathedral setting, etc.)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Antique/Vintage

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Oi...let me try this again

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
hehe sort of hard on this thread since most of us havent gotten our engagement rings yet..

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
One of the things that I love about my ering is that I really think it could fall into any of those categories. It''s a solitaire RB with a thin pave band. The fact that it''s a solitaire RB makes it very classic, while the pave band could be perceived as having a somewhat antique look. The whole ring has a sort of understated chic about it which I think makes it very contemporary also. I love rings that fall into all three categories, so I''m happy to have found one that combines the three!

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Blue - you bring up a very good point ;-) but I know some people have hinted a specific styles for their bf to get or ordered the ring...and if not maybe people could just put which style they''d prefer the most :)

psuheather - your ring is truly fantastic. I saw it the first day you posted it on PS and showed it to my bf (hehe)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Some possible style categories for the LIW's not-yet-existent E-rings?

*fluffy clouds, sugar and spice and everything nice
30.gif
30.gif
(total surprise, and whatever HE chooses is fine!!)
*future bridezilla (every last detail planned already, future FI has been drilled with flashcards and sent to GIA school)
*champagne wishes and caviar dreams (no idea, but make it blingy and big)
*yin/yang (a perfect zen-like balance and compromise between bf/gf tastes, budget, style....no upgrade ever, this is IT!!)
*pigs flying over the frozen surface of Hell (needs no explanation?)

2.gif
2.gif

At this point my ideal is somewhere between yin/yang and future bridezilla, but it feels a lot more like the last option.
27.gif

* (and I vote antique/vintage, for the record!)

myringitsfinallyhere.jpg

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
Snow_happy-- Thanks...you''re too sweet! My fiance threatened to take the ring away because I can''t stop staring at it (teehee....)

Blueroses--that is a fantastic picture! I love it! Where did you find that?

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
PSUHeather, I can''t take full credit--someone (I think Erin?) posted it a few weeks back and I found it by doing a quick google image search. Funny though
2.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
psuheather - My bf says I will not study once I get my ring because I''ll just be staring at it all day (of course!) but I told him it doesn''t matter because I''m spending all my studying time obsessed with PS anyway
3.gif

blueroses - that picture is AWESOME. I think I''m in the yin/yang category but my bf and I have pretty much the same taste and a not to "blingy" budget.
1.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
which category does this fall into

HAAAA!!! Just wanted to post it again
11.gif

Erin022205.JPG

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I voted antique/vintage, buts its also a cathedral setting. And i think it falls under yin/yang for blueroses... we both loved it!

This is fun!

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
Good point snow_happy...I thought that I''d be able to cut my PS time in half (at least) once I got my own ring, but I think I might be on more now than ever (if that''s possible
emsmilep.gif
)

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Mine is definitely antiquey. Prior to looking I thought I wanted a simpler, classic solitaire, but I was wrong. My friends think it''s very blingy, but having seen some of the rings here on PS, I know it''s not even close. It''s definitely a yin/yang...makes me so happy!!! Great pic Blueroses...

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
bluechica--
I LOVE your ring!
30.gif
Why did you decide to ultimately go with an antique style over a solitaire?

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Snow!

When I started noticing rings, looking at them on people''s hands, looking in the stores, etc...well, I just noticed that a lot of them blended together, particularly solitaires. I really wanted something a little different, it''s partially just my personality. Two of my friends have tiffany lucida rings, and I didn''t want to be the third, you know?
20.gif

Then I thought I wanted simple but quirky because I''m a tom boy and generally dress in clean urban lines if I dress up, not frilly girly stuff. But then I saw this setting and was just in love instantly, it had a huge amount of sparkle without some of the concerns I have about pave or eternity bands. It''s not at all what I was thinking, but I''m so happy! Same with the wedding dress I''m looking at...how is this happening?
2.gif

Anyway, that''s a long-winded way of saying that I ended up wanting something that was "my own" but didn''t need to go the custom route to get (I haven''t seen anything like it even on here).

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Blue Chica--
OMG I have the same thoughts! At first I was in LOVE with the Tiffany 6-prong (don''t get me wrong, it''s still a BEAUTIFUL setting) but the thought of having the same exact setting as a million other people was kind of weird. I am totally a tom boy and when I "dress up" it''s still not super dressy, just dressy for me
3.gif
. I guess I dress like a scientist?
41.gif
I mean slacks and sweaters...nothing that ever super flashy and it sounds funny but I guess I thought the tiffany ring would make me seem too typical OC (orange county) and definitely not the mad scientist I am
2.gif
. I secretly wanted something quirky and when my bf said he wanted to custom design a ring that was antique-style based I got so excited! I have no idea what he''s doing, what he''s getting, where it''s being made or, most importantly, when I''m getting it.
27.gif
For sure I will post pics on PS when I do finally get it! If I''m lucky it will be half as beautiful as your ring.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
where does eternity style solitaire fit in????
33.gif
i think that style is somewhat classic as it has been around for a very long time, so then maybe more vintage/antique style as well, but contemporary in that it's new? heee.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
5.gif

I probably should have made the poll better but that''s all I could come up with at the moment hehe... it''s still nice to get an overall consensus or general feeling
3.gif
I would probably put yours under...classic? your SUPER bling ring probably fits the best under that category
9.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a half-bezel. I voted contemporary but i''m not sure if that''s where it fits best.

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
snow_happy: I''m sure your ring is going to be gorgeous! And I think it''s very sweet that your bf took it upon himself to get it custom made and it will be a complete surprise.
9.gif
I can''t wait to see it, and ooh and ah! I love the mad scientist image...how about a beaker shaped ring?
27.gif
Kidding...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I voted "other" cause mine doesn't really fit into any one category.

In the LIW vote, I'd say it's a mix of fluffy clouds and yin/yang - He had complete control over the choice, but it's EXACTLY what I would have chosen if I'd known it existed!

Cause I love it, here's mine again!!!!!! (I'm obsessed ladies!!!)
RingCollage1234567.JPG

BlueChica - I just noticed we have the same ring box! And I love Stewie!!!!

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
JCJD--Your ring is soooo cooll! There is something so delicate and feminine about it but it also almost has a sort of a retro feel (if that makes any sense at all) I love the fact that no one will ever have one that looks similar to yours...it''s totally unique! Looks perfect on your hand too...it''s like you two were made for each other
30.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
5.gif
Thanks psuheather! I LOVE that it''s so unique, but classic, simple, but elaborate, contemporary, but retro. It''s very "ME", and very "HIM" at the same time! He''s got a very specific and unique taste. We finally found the design he wants for his wedding ring. Couldn''t find anything in stores or catalogs that he liked, but the moment he saw this one, he knew it was exactly what he wanted, and he said he had the same reaction when he saw my ring. Here''s his band!!! It''s a rounded celtic wedding knot.

celt6w.jpg

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
JCJD - Isn''t that box the cutest? It''s like a little mini jewelry box. I love your ring too...it''s very unique, delicate and pretty :D I like FI''s wedding ring choice too. Any celtic background?

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Blue Chica--

I hope my ring will work out ok! At first I wanted a 3-stone but then decided it would be too much bling for a scientist (and grad student)... then I thought the solitaire would be nice and loved the tiffany ring (as I mentioned above) but T&Co is sooo overpriced! I priced a normal platinum 6 prong setting (though not a dainty and beautiful as the tiffany) but I could get a stone twice as big
6.gif
so I was torn. Then I tried on a ring that has pave type 1 pt stones (like three on each side) and thought it was a great balance between my fingers looking fat from the solitaire and not being too blingy with the 3 stone but now I am nervous! My bf said he has pretty much finished the ring design and almost settled on a jeweler and I told him I like side stones as long they are not too big compared to the center diamond. I have a lot of confidence in his taste (he has two older sisters) but I just got nervous all of a sudden. Will small side stones like 1 pointers be too much?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

By the way, JCJD you ring is wonderful! and you have beautiful skinny hands!!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
BlueChica - no Celtic background, but he''s very very interested in Celtic lore. He''s Dutch and German by descent.

snow_happy - Thanks!! I''m a scientist grad student too - I work with corvids in animal behavior - and my ring is just fine for work. It catches on gloves a bit, and the birds try to peck at it sometimes, but it''s low-profile enough that it works well with my research. There are profs and other students in my dept that have larger bling than I do, so it''s do-able.

I LOVE small side stones, either channel, or shared prong, or pave, or bead set!!! I think they would dress up a solitaire nicely! And a 3-stone (IMO!!) wouldn''t be too blingy for a scientist!
1.gif

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
but T&Co is sooo overpriced! I priced a normal platinum 6 prong setting (though not a dainty and beautiful as the tiffany) but I could get a stone twice as big so I was torn.

NO KIDDING! A girlfriend of mine, who has a tiffany lucida ring, told my BF that only tiffany will do. I was SO SO SO thankful he and I ended up discussing it instead of him just taking her advice.
20.gif
The little blue box just doesn''t matter than much to me - I mean, maybe if money was no object, but really, even then I''d probably be annoyed by the waste.

I don''t think a 3 stone would be too blingy, even for a scientist...especially if it had a simple band, however, a simple band is hardly quirky, so my preference was to put the bling in a single stone and a little sparkle in the band. Which your 1 pointers would certainly take care of...whether they are "side stones" or accents really depends on the size of the solitaire, you know?

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
My e-ring has a princess center with channel set princess stones in the band. I love the princess shape!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results