shape
carat
color
clarity

The quest for dazzling side diamonds and melee: Not so easy… Can it be easy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you looking for a really great looking ring with sidestones or pave…. Are you a Pricescoper always looking for information on how to get higher quality rings… Are you a vendor wondering how to play the different melee quality options…

Please read this long post and comment. It will make a difference.

After several years of being out of the e-ring market it suddenly occurs that I am now looking for an e-ring.

face1.gif

So, it is now time to put into practice what I learned years ago on Pricescope… and I am sure that the Pricescope oldtimers remember me well.

Only a few changes since then: This will be a small “compromise” e-ring. Our combined budgets cannot withstand the desired $10,000+ e-ring ($18,000 of custom furniture is due to arrive soon). The agreement is to get a small centerstone ring now (1/3 to 1/2 carats) and upgrade to the larger ring in several years. Sidestones are a must.

But, that does not mean that I cannot insist on a quality well built ring with overall dazzling performance…. or can I? My initial experience this past week was disappointing.

Here is what many people miss – or rarely discuss – when looking for a ring with sidestones. That the quality of cut of the sidestones (light return) can have just as dramatic effect on the look of the ring as the centerstone.

I have seen some great centerstones that dazzeled, sparkled, and wowed ya… only to be dragged down by relatively dull looking sidestones. Many times the sidestones are melee sized (melee is typically stones 0.2 carat and smaller).

Pricescope almost always focuses on the centerstone; and a number of vendors now cater to that market (there sure are more easily findable choices now than there were 3 years ago). But, I thought that with my experience of this week that I should again raise for discussion the issue of the sidestones and what is normally done – and what can be done.

Of course, if your sidestones are large enough (1/2 carat +) you can easily get great light return diamonds. But most sidestone rings have smaller melee stones on them.

There are many grades of melee on the market with many price points (just as there are many grades of larger diamonds on the market).

Almost all sidestone rings come preset with the sidestones and all the consumer chooses is the overall quality of the centerstone. The vendors has prechosen how good the melee quality is; but usually focus only on color and clarity. Since this is an area that many people do not pay attention to – it is also an area where the jeweler can reduce cost on a ring.

Thus, for example, if you go to BlueNile you will find that their sidestone melee is of an average I Color and SI2 Clarity. Another vendor, such as James Allen uses melee with an average Color of G and VS2 – SI1 Clarity. All the main vendors will quickly tell you their default choice of color and clarity for melee if it is not posted on their website.

In addition, most companies producing melee don’t really care about cut quality, although a few do (and at least one company even supplies H&A melee).

Here is an old Pricescope thought (not mine): What if you sorted melee using an Idealscope – and chose to use only the best light return melee in your ring. How good would your ring look with melee diamonds that really “popped.”

Based on a post by Gary (Cut Nut) many years ago (2003/4 timeframe) and some discussions I have had since leads me to believe that if you sort melee with an idealscope that the average melee vendor will have 10% - 20% of their melee with good light return. I do understand that one vendor has a product line with about 70% of their melee with a good light return.

Any guesses as to the comparable price points of these vendors in the melee market.

I will note that you clearly have to have a good eye and really know how to use an Idealscope to sort melee that is smaller than 5 points. But, Gary said years ago that it was doable for those with experience.

So – time to buy a e-ring. It will be small – and have small sidestones. Not a problem. I will make more compromises than I would for a larger ring – but, will still try to get something that dazzles…

So I had my S.O. go through at least a half dozen websites on rings and pick one that she would like; and the wedding band she would like (also set with melee diamonds). Done: Said vendor also had several acceptable centerstones with good idealscope/firescope images. I could do this rather quickly – or so I thought. Estimated cost of the e-ring with center diamond and wedding band would be in the $2000+ range.

I next sent an email to the vendor explaining my desire for the best light return quality sidestones and requested to have the melee pre-sorted with an idealscope to pick out stones that were really good – and offered to pay an additional price for the service.

The reply I got indicated that the sidestones were selected for overall color and clarity, rather than cut grade as they felt a great deal of time and effort would be required to analyzing each melee diamond; and the only option I was offered was to upgrade the carat size or color and clarity grades from what was presented online (which completely missed my point on my wanting to pay for better light return – not larger or higher CC side diamonds).

In subsequent emails the vendor has now admitted that yes, the melee sidestones could indeed be presorted via idealscope to pick out the best ones; and that they focus on the “better” melee in the “good, better, best” melee market (and ignore the “worst, and poor” melee market). Also, that the cost of sorting would not be that much - just a charge for the more premium side diamonds.

In the process though – I have inquired elsewhere about getting high cut quality melee and have informed the vendor that in the end I would rather work with someone who was interested in doing what I want – than someone who is reluctant to do it (as that affects the general quality of the job you get).

The vendor does understand my point – and has indicated that they have learned a lesson (and would like the option for consideration in the future). Although, they are somewhat curious about how interested consumers are for high cut quality melee sidestones and pave. Most people are not as educated as I, and few even know that high cut quality melee exist so that they can ask for it.

I understand that the vendor has the problem that they are working in a competitive market place; and increasing the cost of the melee on their standard rings puts them at a competitive disadvantage to the vast majority of people (why, most people would ask… are their melee set rings more expensive than the next companies?). I can also see an issue with how do you even list the option. Few vendors even attempt to educate on light return for the main diamond. How well would an educational tutorial on melee cut quality and how it overall affects the ring work? Or would it add more confusion than most people can handle.

So, I thought I would post my first major Rocy Talk post in many years asking the basic following questions for discussion:

How much effect on a sidestone or pave ring does the use of high cut quality melee have?

How much extra would the use of high cut quality melee cost (i.e.; idealscope sorted – but no pictures)?

How many consumers are interested in using really high cut quality melee in their rings (or am I truly an oddball)?

How would a vendor list such an option, or should they list such an option?

Among the vendors who may reply: Obviously you know if you were or were not the vendor I contacted on this. My intent is to not identify the vendor involved and I request that any and all vendor responses stay neutral on if it was or was not you – and how in general all vendors could or should approach this issue. I have no objection if the vendor involved wishes to self identify themselves and enter the discussion from a point of lessons learned.

Thank you all for your responses in advance. Long live Pricescope.

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
To throw another thing out there Id rather have single cuts in small melee (.1 .2 .3).
There are suppliers of near h&a melee out there if someone is looking for full cuts as well as the wf h&a melee.
When I was shopping for the stone for my ring (.15) the WF premium for the melee I wanted was too much so I had Wink hunt me down one.
Wink, Gary, and Jon have sourced the near h&a to h&a melee and Im sure others can also.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Perry,

Looks like there''s been lots happening with you since only a month ago.

Not much to share here...but I''ll be interested...probably in another thread...in the back story.

So...can I say...congratulations?!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perry, Congratulations!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
You must bring your SO to the next get together!

I DO think it is very important to have well cut side stones and mele, especially on a significant piece such as an ER. I have seen rings where these stones are poorly cut and it just looks bad. I firmly believe the cut should be equal on any supporting stones if you have gone to the trouble of finding a well cut main stone. I can''t answer the issue of cost but as a consumer this is what I would expect in a major piece of jewelry. The jewelers that I have used seem to be of like mind so it hasn''t been an issue for me.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Perry, that is a fabulous idea. And you are on the right track with your decision to get the best diamonds even though they are the support act!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sharon & Strmrdr: and here I was beginning to think that I was a total odball for thinking of this... and wondering how the vendors dealt with it (and I do know how several vendors deal with it - and I do kknow the source of the H&A melee; but I have no idea how well it looks in an idealscope - as the concept of good light return and H&A do not necessarily match).

Ira and Michelle: No great secret: Actually - it''s D (the one that I thought I''d be married to years ago). She decided that I was the one after I really withdrew and was looking elsewhere... I''m not sure she will get moved over in time for the Dec gemshow. But, I am sure you will have a chance to meet her at a future one.

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 6:58:49 PM
Author: perry
Thanks Sharon & Strmrdr: and here I was beginning to think that I was a total odball for thinking of this... and wondering how the vendors dealt with it (and I do know how several vendors deal with it - and I do kknow the source of the H&A melee; but I have no idea how well it looks in an idealscope - as the concept of good light return and H&A do not necessarily match).

Ira and Michelle: No great secret: Actually - it''s D (the one that I thought I''d be married to years ago). She decided that I was the one after I really withdrew and was looking elsewhere... I''m not sure she will get moved over in time for the Dec gemshow. But, I am sure you will have a chance to meet her at a future one.

Perry
http://diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detd.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=RB30004209&submit_search=1
ASET from a diamond from the cutter of the near to h&a melee.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strmrdr:

So... What if you want 15 point, 10 point, or 5 point melee....

Actually, that is not the source I was discussing. There is a source in the US that sells H&A melee to the trade (sells only to jewelers).

As stated above - I do not know how well its light return is (but suspect I will find out shortly).

Perry

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Perry,

Congrats on the purchase - or more precisly - on the reason for purchasing.
1.gif

I think the introduction of the GIA cut grade has raised public consciousness about cut quality in general, so it's logical to think your question will be raised more over time outside the PS fishbowl. Right now commercial quality melee is the default because it costs less and consumers don't question it.
Pricescope is often the first time consumers even hear there is a difference caused by cut so unless a store is policing this on its own (some do) the subject is not likely to be broached.

Date: 11/17/2007 12:14:39 PM
Author:perry

So, I thought I would post my first major Rocy Talk post in many years asking the basic following questions for discussion:

How much effect on a sidestone or pave ring does the use of high cut quality melee have?

Our answer = "a lot." I suspect PS regulars would agree.
The average person may not even know what you’re talking about.

How much extra would the use of high cut quality melee cost (i.e.; idealscope sorted – but no pictures)?

It’s not prohibitive but commercial quality costs less and is much more widely available. The difficulty for small sellers is purchasing in enough quantity to secure a relationship with someone doing such fine-make in small sizes. A further difficulty is that, in the mainstream, this is not even a question that is raised - so there is little demand for change.

How many consumers are interested in using really high cut quality melee in their rings (or am I truly an oddball)?

We don't ask: Top cut quality is the default for our melee, but that is logical considering our target market.

How would a vendor list such an option, or should they list such an option?

Good question. Given the choice, for a reasonable price, I'd be interested to know how many people would choose against top quality melee.

Among the vendors who may reply: Obviously you know if you were or were not the vendor I contacted on this. My intent is to not identify the vendor involved and I request that any and all vendor responses stay neutral on if it was or was not you – and how in general all vendors could or should approach this issue. I have no objection if the vendor involved wishes to self identify themselves and enter the discussion from a point of lessons learned.
The thrust of the thread is a good one. Remember that to most new consumers the concept of CUT over the other Cs is still trickling down, even in larger sizes. It’s great that this is being discussed. I suspect reputable sellers will ensure the use of top quality melee with the same commitment they demonstrate to top quality in their regular offerings.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 12:33:01 PM
Author: strmrdr

To throw another thing out there Id rather have single cuts in small melee (.1 .2 .3).
There are suppliers of near h&a melee out there if someone is looking for full cuts as well as the wf h&a melee.
When I was shopping for the stone for my ring (.15) the WF premium for the melee I wanted was too much so I had Wink hunt me down one.

Strm was this several years ago? We don’t sell loose melee. We sell small diamonds with grading reports but nothing under 0.25ct and I think Perry is talking about melee going down to 1 and 2 pointers. For the record; although we don’t sell our melee we have granted requests to replace outside melee in pieces clients have sent in.

Regarding our premiums: We don’t quote prices for loose melee, we quote by the project. A simple setting with a few stones has more limited pricing flexibility than a heavy setting with dozens of melee. Also Strm, I don’t recall you doing a project with a center stone over ½ carat (correct me if wrong). You may know this already, but with larger center-stone purchases the seller may be able to extend a stronger discount for a setting project. Timing matters too, these days.How much melee of X size is in stock vs. replacement cost, precious metal prices, labor, etc., all figures in.

Regardless, the best advice is to work with a seller you know will pursue top cut quality in melee as well as in normal offerings.
Cut is always king.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
FIrst of all, congratulations! I have a WF ring with ACA melee and it really sparkles! It outshines most of the melee that I''ve seen in real life by far. I''d go with them in a heartbeat if I was looking for ideal cut melee in a ring.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if i was looking for ideal cut melee, i'd go with whiteflash for their ACA's or wink as he has done some pieces for people with machine cut ideal cut melee in the past i believe....i think wink sells melee separately, and WF will only use their ACA melee in their pieces now.

one comment, when i had my e-ring built at a 'before PS' jeweler...i told them i wanted the best possible cut melee they had. when i had WF make my w-ring they used ACA melee. quite frankly, i don't see any difference in the two rings and how they sparkle. sometimes i think my e-ring sparkles more but i think it's just a function of the slightly larger stones (3 pointers vs 2 pointers in w-ring). so either my jeweler had them hand pick amazingly cut melee for my e-ring or the visual difference between super ideal cut melee and hand chosen 'probably quite well cut' melee is not that big when you are talking 1, 2, 3, 4 pointers.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
if folks want single cut melee-- how do you know you are getting the good stuff???

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I went with WF for my setting because I was thoroughly enchanted with the idea of ideal cut H&A melee. And I was not disappointed. The little diamonds (in my case, under 2 pointers) are glorious little firecrackers, and those tiny little arrows still make me swoon.
30.gif

I have some older jewelry (way pre-PS) with "melee", and those poor sad little diamond chippies are DEAD DEAD DEAD.
14.gif
There''s just NO comparison.

Now of course (since Gypsy''s ring, and some other threads here lately on the subject) I am starting to jones for something with some single cut melee
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
... but alas, that''s another project for another day. OK, make that "year". !!!
39.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JohnQuixote:

I think Perry is talking about melee going down to 1 and 2 pointers.

Actually, my initial target was in the 5 to 10 point size. But the question does go down to 1 and 2 points.

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 8:43:22 AM
Author: perry
Strmrdr:

So... What if you want 15 point, 10 point, or 5 point melee....

Actually, that is not the source I was discussing. There is a source in the US that sells H&A melee to the trade (sells only to jewelers).

As stated above - I do not know how well its light return is (but suspect I will find out shortly).

Perry
The cutter that cut those cuts to the same quality in other sizes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 4:42:24 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 11/17/2007 12:33:01 PM
Author: strmrdr

Strm was this several years ago? We don’t sell loose melee. We sell small diamonds with grading reports but nothing under 0.25ct and I think Perry is talking about melee going down to 1 and 2 pointers. For the record; although we don’t sell our melee we have granted requests to replace outside melee in pieces clients have sent in.

Regarding our premiums: We don’t quote prices for loose melee, we quote by the project. A simple setting with a few stones has more limited pricing flexibility than a heavy setting with dozens of melee. Also Strm, I don’t recall you doing a project with a center stone over ½ carat (correct me if wrong). You may know this already, but with larger center-stone purchases the seller may be able to extend a stronger discount for a setting project. Timing matters too, these days.How much melee of X size is in stock vs. replacement cost, precious metal prices, labor, etc., all figures in.

Regardless, the best advice is to work with a seller you know will pursue top cut quality in melee as well as in normal offerings.
Cut is always king.
Hey John this was before your time I think, I worked with Lesley to quote my ring for myself.
I would have had to have the whole project done with WF to get the aca melee is correct.
The price was broken down as melee price and total price....
I paid just slightly more than the WF melee price for the complete ring by using Wink and my local guy and a lot less than the total WF project price.
edit: it was a 15 pointer.

edit: just checked and at the time I didnt have a up to date price on having WF do the ring but had an older quote that was higher as stated and gold and diamonds had went up.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-diamond-whatcha-think.18084/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results