shape
carat
color
clarity

The Precision Gem experience:a green-blue Afghan tourmaline!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: The Precision Gem experience:a green-blue Afghan tourmal

Mine is very similar to Gene's pic indoors/low light but so much brighter and sparkly in sunlight and fluorescence. So my bet is that it will look like Gene's close up of the stone and also his hand shot depending on the light and less like Victor's hand shot. It will be stunning regardless!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1418243963|3799055 said:
Thanks wordie acinom and sparkliesluver!! I absolutely love it! It is a lot bigger than I thought it would be so I think I'll opt for a simpler setting - maybe solitaire set with diamonds in the shank! Will post more pics once I decide to set. :mrgreen:

lumpsy please keep us posted on your hunt! Can't wait to see what you end up with! And if you do get a piece custom cut from Gene's rough please post lots and lots of photos and update us on the process. Excitement!

It looks really big indeed. It will be gorgeous in any setting 8-). I think you will be the first to set the tourmaline. I cannot wait to see yours set. A solitaire encrusted with diamonds sounds great.

Thank you for your reflection on the color!! I also think it will not look like VC's studio pic as I have noticed before that his camera does weird things with colors.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Asscherhalo_lover|1418259757|3799170 said:
Hi Acinom, another amazing future ring, I don't know how you decide what to wear each day! When I think of art deco and engraved lines with milgrain I always think of the Tiffany Legacy band, this is one I always wish I had bought!

http://www.polyvore.com/tiffany_legacy_collection_band_ring/thing?id=15747666

Thank you Asscherhalo_lover :wavey:
And thanks for posting the Tiffany band. Great inspiration indeed!!

_25142.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, Acinom. :wavey:

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. :oops: Gene said the rough was unheated, so is that a concern when setting the stone (since I assume heat is used at some point in the process)? Wasn't sure if you were aware of that, and if so, if you told Victor. I'd appreciate your thoughts and those from anyone else.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1418321483|3799537 said:
Hi, Acinom. :wavey:

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. :oops: Gene said the rough was unheated, so is that a concern when setting the stone (since I assume heat is used at some point in the process)? Wasn't sure if you were aware of that, and if so, if you told Victor. I'd appreciate your thoughts and those from anyone else.

Hi Sparklieslover :wavey:
A tourmaline is more vulnerable compared to for example sapphires. I think Tourmalines should not be heated, whether they are heated prior to or after cutting or not.

As the stones will be set after the setting is done, this should not be a problem. A setter should be extra careful when making a bezel.

My rubellite tourmaline was chipped during setting by BE. Luckily they where able to recut the stone and save most of it. Also, when the ring somehow turns out to big or small, the setting cannot be altered without first removing the stone as heating is used during resizing. Also, sizing beads cannot be added when the ring is too big as heating is used during that process as well.

So, the trick is to find a very skilled jeweller who has experiece in setting more vulnerable colored stones.

Hopefully the experts chime in to correct me if I am wrong.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some tourmaline is heated and some isn't. Some say a heated tourmaline is more brittle than an unheated tourmaline. Unfortunately, this heating is not easy to detect but fortunately, it doesn't seem to play much of a role in pricing....for now, or at least today. In any case, both heated and unheated tourmaline requires a soft hand when being set. Most benches are used to setting diamonds so then to apply too much pressure when setting softer coloured stones such as garnet and tourmaline and end up chipping the CS. This is also true of prong settings. I've even had benches chip spinels that are prong set!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for the replies, and sorry to threadjack slightly. I know there are heated and non-heated - I was just concerned about the stone being exposed to heat during setting. It sounds like that's not a concern which is good to hear! :) Obviously there are other concerns when setting a tourmaline. Chrono, you had a bench chip a spinel?! :-o

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SL,
Make that TWO spinels (different benches)! Since then, I've stuck with my favourite benches, not daring to try other new vendors. For note, I so wish Whiteflash still accepts "outside" stones because they set my softer stones without a scratch.

S

SparkliesLuver

:nono: Oh, goodness, Chrono! Not one but two. Wow. That's what makes me incredibly nervous about trying someone new for this ring. Might have to suck it up and go with someone across the country.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Both stones are also precision cut, so there is no wonkiness to work around either. One was a simple setting job (existing setting), the other was a custom setting job. One is a PS favourite, the other is a local bench. I did my due diligence, making sure both have set CS in the past too.

S

SparkliesLuver

Very true. That's a good point, Chrono. I guess it just goes to show that you can do your part but in the end it's up to the bench. Fingers crossed! :) I can't wait to see how Acinom sets hers as I have a feeling it'll happen before I set mine. Oh, and ricezo has hers too! Exciting times.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my! What a nightmare Chrono!!! Have your stones been recut? Hope it had a relatively good ending.

Sparklies: I a so torn about how to set the stone. I now wonder whether it needs a female edge with cutouts and some engraving. And this was after I decided to keep it simple. Also, I am wondering whether it would work to have it set EW, although it would completely fill up my finger. Aaaaagh!!! I think Ricezo will set hers first. Pfff.

Heeeeeelp :confused:

_25169.jpg

_25170.jpg

_25171.jpg

_25172.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think an E-W orientation makes it look more masculine. It's more feminine with a N-S orientation to me. I'm not sure if others feel the same way. Since its an elongated stone, one should be more careful when wearing it as it will be prone to bangs and chips. The setting should be lower and more protective (heavier gallery around edges) if possible.

S

SparkliesLuver

Although I'm usually a fan of EW orientation, I think your stone would be best set NS. It feels at home on your finger that way in your pictures. But that's just me.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you TL and Sparklie :wavey: It's really helpful to tick of boxes and have lesser options. I thought I narrowed it down but I am all over the place now.

TL: I am thinking about having tab prongs. And I will indeed ask Victor to have it set at low/medium height.

Thank you so much for your advice!! It's really helpful to post ideas and get feedback.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom,
For one spinel, the damage was quite ugly but the original lapidary fixed it so it looks new again. The location of the damage was not good (right under the prong and included the girdle and crown facets) and so it lost some face up size. Sadly, it was a very nice cobalt blue spinel. The second wasn't as serious; a bit of pavilion damage so it was easy to fix with negligible carat weight loss.

I like it set North-South as it elongates your finger.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom,

I prefer NS instead of EW setting on your finger/hand.

Chrono,

Sorry to hear about your chipped stones. :-o

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ns for me as well.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1418399092|3800067 said:
Acinom,
For one spinel, the damage was quite ugly but the original lapidary fixed it so it looks new again. The location of the damage was not good (right under the prong and included the girdle and crown facets) and so it lost some face up size. Sadly, it was a very nice cobalt blue spinel. The second wasn't as serious; a bit of pavilion damage so it was easy to fix with negligible carat weight loss.

I like it set North-South as it elongates your finger.

Oh, such nightmares Chrono. I am glad that in both cases at least the stones could be fixed/recut. Do you have a pic of the cobalt spinel. Did you post it here on PS?
Are you enjoying your new ring with the fancy colored diamonds and do you wear it often? I love that ring.
Thank for your advice on setting the stone NS!

Thank you Sparklieslover and Niel for your vision on the stone's orientation :wavey:

North/South it is!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Yay glad you are going North-West! :appl:

What is your ring size Acinom? It looks like you have slender fingers, your tourm is going to look massive! =)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1418460354|3800460 said:
Yay glad you are going North-West! :appl:

What is your ring size Acinom? It looks like you have slender fingers, your tourm is going to look massive! =)

Thank you for chiming in Ricezo :wavey: It's so helpful to hear everyone's vision. I surely hope you will not have such a hard time to come up with the best design for your stone:lol:
In some cases I immediately know what the ring should look like and sometimes I am having a hard time. It does not help that I do not see the stones with my own eyes prior to setting.

Victor just now came up with a very feminine and flowing design that could work :love: Seems like we are finally getting somewhere. Yay!!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

I must be brain dead today, I meant North South of course lol. :wall:

Yay that's fantastic! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I dropped my tourm off at a local jeweller today, he is going to look into the various options (stock, custom CAD & cast, hand forged) and get back to me! I was contemplating sending it back to the US for setting but decided against for a few reasons primarily the Aussie dollar has dropped a lot so it's much more expensive now to buy from overseas and also my stone has some inclusions (on one edge the inclusion pretty much reaches the surface) so I'm scared to ship it back and forth and also cautious about who sets it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1418462965|3800465 said:
I must be brain dead today, I meant North South of course lol. :wall:

Yay that's fantastic! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I dropped my tourm off at a local jeweller today, he is going to look into the various options (stock, custom CAD & cast, hand forged) and get back to me! I was contemplating sending it back to the US for setting but decided against for a few reasons primarily the Aussie dollar has dropped a lot so it's much more expensive now to buy from overseas and also my stone has some inclusions (on one edge the inclusion pretty much reaches the surface) so I'm scared to ship it back and forth and also cautious about who sets it!

Whahahaha! I actually read your 'North-West' as 'North-South'.

Victor's idea has quickly grown on me, so I think I finally found the key.

It's great that you have found a good local jeweller who you can trust and who can offer you various solutions. I know from my Aussie friend (also a PSer) that the Aussie dollar is dropping. I think you made a wise choice. If you decide to go custom I would investigate first whether he made the setting of your choice before. How exciting that things are already moving for you Ricezo. Hopefully Sparklies, Laurie and myself will follow your footsteps soon.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, ladies. :wavey:

ricezo, any updates? Can't wait to hear what your jeweler said!

Acinom, I'm glad Victor's idea has grown on you. :) How fun!

A tiny update about my stone: I've decided to go with David Klass, and I just emailed him to get started on drawings. I was able to put aside enough money for the setting despite all our holiday shopping. I'm super excited!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1418733951|3802195 said:
Hi, ladies. :wavey:

ricezo, any updates? Can't wait to hear what your jeweler said!

Acinom, I'm glad Victor's idea has grown on you. :) How fun!

A tiny update about my stone: I've decided to go with David Klass, and I just emailed him to get started on drawings. I was able to put aside enough money for the setting despite all our holiday shopping. I'm super excited!

Good to see your update Sparklieslover! I saw in the other thread that you have chosen the yummy design with the twisted shank :love: I also love the surprise stones in the gallery.

I am so looking forward to see yours.
So you have chosen white metal as well! Victor stated that the green will be gorgeous in combination with yellow gold. I considered it briefly but white and red metals look better with my skintone. My ring will be made in platinum and I will have double claws as well: Victor advised these as it will flow better with this design compared to tabbed prongs.

I read that you kept coming back to the Trueste until you chose the twisted setting. So did I 8-). And I was also worrying that it could be too plain. The design I have now chosen will have accents on the shank and a frenchie in the gallery for eye candy.

_25270.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Acinom. :) I also briefly considered yellow gold but then decided on white. I love claw prongs so that's exciting yours will have them too.

haha Yes, I think we're both destined to have that setting at some point...just not now. I can't wait to see your ring! :D :love: Are you still estimating around March or so?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How remarkably that we have followed the same route of thinking. I am conviced that the sudued elegance of a white metal will be gorgeous with the green. Your settings will be quite different though. So curious to see what Laurie and Ricezo come up with.

My setting will probably be ready by the end of January! What about yours?

S

SparkliesLuver

haha I know, I had that same thought. I think (and hope) so too! Yes, the settings we've both decided upon are quite different so I'm anxious to see both of them when completed. And I can't wait to see what Laurie and ricezo decide.

Oooo, that's not too far away! :D I just emailed David this morning, so I'm not sure. I'd be quite happy with the end of January though.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

SparkliesLuver - I love the twisted shank! This is definitely a design I'd like to have one day - the twist is a beautiful design feature, makes the ring more interesting yet still delicate. It's going to look amazing.

Acinom - I can't wait to see your completed ring, I love all the little details especially the frenchie in the gallery!

I think my ring is going to pale in comparison to both of yours! I am pretty decided on a simple design (solitaire set with claws or double claws) but I'm still tossing up between white or yellow gold and whether to have diamonds in the shank. I'm seeing my jeweller later this week so will update you then!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results