shape
carat
color
clarity

The Precision Gem experience:a green-blue Afghan tourmaline!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The Precision Gem experience:a green-blue Afghan tourmal

SparkliesLuver|1417449174|3793264 said:
Ah, okay. :) Yes, you are correct.

The 5-stone is very pretty. Do you think you'll be able to see both stones on the side? You have smaller fingers, correct? Just trying to picture it all in my head/on your hand. :oops: Excuse the dumb questions.

Mmm, I think I cut it out too big :roll:
My OEC is about 11.34ish and I can clearly see the french cut sides. From the top but mainly from the sides, which is how I see the ring most often: the profile as well as the side. I will make a new cutout tomorrow.
What do you think: is a thin shank too thin and will it benefit from trapezoids on the sides?

_24775.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Getting a feel for a setting with tapered diamond sides

_24776.jpg

_24777.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And on a simple metal band:

_24778.jpg

_24780.jpg

_24781.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

liao|1417453749|3793296 said:
tourmaline is not my cup of tea, but it is gorgeous :love: :love:

if I may ask, how much does it cost?

Thank you for your kind words Liao!!

The price will approximately be between 450 $ and 650 $ per carat for the larger stones.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
My OEC is about 11.34ish and I can clearly see the french cut sides. From the top but mainly from the sides, which is how I see the ring most often: the profile as well as the side. I will make a new cutout tomorrow.
What do you think: is a thin shank too thin and will it benefit from trapezoids on the sides?

hehe It's a good experiment nonetheless. :)

I think the thin shank is a bit too thin, but that's just my personal opinion. I think the traps would be a nice addition.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Acinom|1417456532|3793314 said:

Haha I love this - great suggestion SparkliesLuver! And it looks HUGE on you Acinom.

Thanks so much to both of you for sharing your experiences. Can't wait to see your finished pieces! :twirl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the setting with traps sides, and believe if the stone is deep enough and set high enough, then the traps would show nicely.

However, if the setting profile is low, then they are likely to be out of view and kind of wasted.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1417457772|3793332 said:
Acinom said:

hehe It's a good experiment nonetheless. :)

I think the thin shank is a bit too thin, but that's just my personal opinion. I think the traps would be a nice addition.

Victor mailed me today. He did not realise before that the stone would turn out this big and he says we would need large sidestones for a nice look and that the costs would be very high. I did not give me the exact amount but I do believe him. I am wondering whether a handforged ring for a stone this size is such a good idea...

I figured that the carre version of my OEC ring could work nicely for this stone. Perhaps with a minimum on sidestones.

_24786.jpg

_24787.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1417465563|3793399 said:
Acinom|1417456532|3793314 said:

Haha I love this - great suggestion SparkliesLuver! And it looks HUGE on you Acinom.

Thanks so much to both of you for sharing your experiences. Can't wait to see your finished pieces! :twirl:

Sparklieslover is always so helpful of full of good advice indeed 8-)
Any idea yet on how you will set yours Ricezo?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1417466697|3793415 said:
I like the setting with traps sides, and believe if the stone is deep enough and set high enough, then the traps would show nicely.

However, if the setting profile is low, then they are likely to be out of view and kind of wasted.

Traps are off. The costs are so high that Victor did not even wanted to share the costs. I am now considering carres but no idea about the costs. I have the feeling I might have to go the casted route...

Thanks for your reflection DK and I agree with you :wavey:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Oh no! I am also worried that side stones will have to be too large and therefore too expensive given the size of the centre stone. I'm hoping to go down the casted/partially casted route. As this isn't an engagement ring or anything I don't want to spend a fortune! I went to see a local jeweller last weekend but the stock settings he uses (which are really beautiful!) only accommodate upto 6mm stones!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ladies, I am working with diamondmounts of eBay for my EC reset that is going to be cast in platinum, price is very affordable/reasonable, and I shall let you know how I get on, if you do not mind waiting until Jan 15 when I get my new semi-mount.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1417471038|3793467 said:
Oh no! I am also worried that side stones will have to be too large and therefore too expensive given the size of the centre stone. I'm hoping to go down the casted/partially casted route. As this isn't an engagement ring or anything I don't want to spend a fortune! I went to see a local jeweller last weekend but the stock settings he uses (which are really beautiful!) only accommodate upto 6mm stones!

Oh no!!! Did you ask him whether he could order the mounts in larger stone sizes? Do you have pics of his mounts?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1417471590|3793479 said:
Ladies, I am working with diamondmounts of eBay for my EC reset that is going to be cast in platinum, price is very affordable/reasonable, and I shall let you know how I get on, if you do not mind waiting until Jan 15 when I get my new semi-mount.

Thank you so much DK. And please keep us updated indeed :wavey:

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

That stone is stunning!! I can't wait to see this set. When will you receive the stone? I want to see your pics!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks DK! That would be great! I won't set mine until Jan/Feb at the earliest anyway so please keep us updated!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Acinom|1417472633|3793490 said:

Oh no!!! Did you ask him whether he could order the mounts in larger stone sizes? Do you have pics of his mounts?

I'll go back once my stone arrives to get more info! He showed me a book with the different mounts and specs and there didn't appear to be any that would fit. I'll ask if there are other brands ie Stuller that he can order from too.

On another note my little Jeff Davies sapphires arrived today so I can occupy myself with these in the meantime! :D

_24789.jpg

_24790.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is so much beauty and knowledge in this thread! Acinom, your stone looks like a knock out absolutely. And it sure looks like if anyone can rock a big stone, it is you. :)) That said, I'm decidedly in the camp that believe that stone deserves a little window dressing in the way of accompaniment just to show it off. Sorry to hear that traps were cost prohibitive. But knowing you and your track record of fabulous jewelry, I have no doubt this will be gorgeous too.

Ricezo: those sapphires look stunning - bright and blue!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Minou :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Threadjack alert...

I am considering a pair of vivid blue sapphires like ricezo's :love: to go with my oval pink Spinel, and cannot justify the cost. Hence I bought a set of 16 cheaper paler blue sapphires from JD instead to see if they suit. They arrived today with my last-of-this-year's CS purchases from him, and shall examine them in more details later.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Michelez|1417474508|3793508 said:
That stone is stunning!! I can't wait to see this set. When will you receive the stone? I want to see your pics!

Hi Michelez!! Thank you so much. The stone has been send to Victor directly. So again I will see the ring when it's set.
As it turns out now the simple setting I had in mind will not work. So I might have to choose for a CAD/CAST ring.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1417475786|3793519 said:
Acinom|1417472633|3793490 said:

I'll go back once my stone arrives to get more info! He showed me a book with the different mounts and specs and there didn't appear to be any that would fit. I'll ask if there are other brands ie Stuller that he can order from too.

On another note my little Jeff Davies sapphires arrived today so I can occupy myself with these in the meantime! :D

Oh my!!!! I am not sure whether I should be more impressed with your hands or with the sapphires!! Gorgeous....
Will the sapphires be used as sidestones or as studs?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Minous!! I now also see that a straight simple band might not work out the way I hoped. So it will be a search to find a tapered shank setting that is affordable. I actually do not want to spend more than 3.000 or perhaps 3.500 $

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1417523505|3793804 said:
Threadjack alert...

I am considering a pair of vivid blue sapphires like ricezo's :love: to go with my oval pink Spinel, and cannot justify the cost. Hence I bought a set of 16 cheaper paler blue sapphires from JD instead to see if they suit. They arrived today with my last-of-this-year's CS purchases from him, and shall examine them in more details later.

Whaaaaat! So you did make a new purchase :lol:
And you cannot leave us hanging like this. Post some pics please!!!! :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

ricezo said:

Thanks DK! That would be great! I won't set mine until Jan/Feb at the earliest anyway so please keep us updated!

+1! Can't wait to hear about your experience.

And Acinom, I know things aren't going too smoothly yet, but I know they will. Your finished pieces always turn out beautifully.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looking forward to seeing you set your gorgeous new tourmaline. Gene is always a pleasure to work with and considering that he is an excellent lapidary, his pricing is extremely reasonable compared to many others. Hope he enjoys his time in Germany.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Sparklies :wavey:. Oh yes, I am convinced that with this stone it will surely become a beautiful ring. My goal is to have it set in March or so. Lot's of time to contemplate on an ideal setting.

Thanks Chrono!!! Gene is a great guy indeed. From what I have seen I am really impressed with his work. I hope he has a great time in Germany too together with his wife.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! That stone is amazing! I love the color!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333 said:
Wow! That stone is amazing! I love the color!

Thanks for dropping by and your kind words tyty!!
I wish I had the stone in my hands already. But it has been sent directly to Victor and I will only see it when it's set.

Currently I am gearing towards the following options:
A. A slightly tapered carre shank
B. A split shank that ends in a double band
C. A simple solitaire shank with just a bit of something going on like grooves in the metal

What do you think :confused:

_24842.jpg

_24843.jpg

_24844.jpg

_24845.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the last with tab prongs AND some diamonds in the shank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results