shape
carat
color
clarity

The perfect ring on a modest budget. Help please!

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I just want her to be proud of what I'm able to get her.

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
I inquired about the transitional, I am unable to stretch the budget that far even with a discount. It was worth a shot. I am struggling with overthinking this whole ordeal.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's a big purchase, both in dollars and emotions. I don't think you're overthinking. You're going to find something lovely and in budget - hang in there!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lioness|1404268635|3704942 said:
SouthernCharm|1404259459|3704858 said:
I inquired about the transitional, I am unable to stretch the budget that far even with a discount. It was worth a shot. I am struggling with overthinking this whole ordeal.

:( :(

What about this ring? Or just the stone?? http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/platinum-diamond-solitaire-vs2-k-0-dot-90ct

HCA .7. Can't beat that with a stick.

I'd negotiate that down a couple hundred.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did her Pinterest have anything leaning toward an antique/vintage feel? Here is very a pretty OEC from Erica: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-73ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-egl-f-vs2/

Just under $3500.

Product Description
Beautiful, bright and white 0.73ct Old European Cut Diamond, EGL certed F (rare high color!), VS2, set in a vintage platinum setting. 5.55 x 5.17 x 3.83mm. Gorgeous blocky faceting with lots of pastel flashes. Would make a beautiful engagement ring! Size 5.5, sizable.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, that last GOG suggestion has the worst megascope I've seen so far on PS, with Fair/Good borderline on Brilliance and Scintillation. The J color the OP found on B2C looked better to me and in one of the Ritani or Gabriel Halos, divine!

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
Been in the middle of some long days at work, hence the reason for my delays in posting. This may take me some time so thank you all for helping and being patient with me.

Lioness, I'd like to keep as much white in the stone as I can. I'm not naive enough to hope I can shoot for a D or E, but I'd like to not venture too dark. I will admit, however, that I'm not as skilled with color. I don't want there to be a contrast between band and stone..i'd like them to blend as much as possible.

Gypsy, as always thank you for the suggestions. As I know those diamonds may not be available when I do purchase, I do greatly appreciate the insight into what to look for!

JoCo, I've always read on here to fear an EGL rating so that makes me cautious without being able to see the stone. Also, I'm not sure that setting is for her.

I also agree that the GOG diamond didn't really catch my eye.

A question I have is if I really like the gabriel setting and buy a stone from elsewhere, am I then putting the ring in danger of having the floating (gaps) look when having the stone set? Is it easier to buy both from the same place to have the setting done for the stone or are they just stock settings?

Edit: There is a small glimmer of hope in a new job being on my horizon(next few weeks) so if that does happen i may be able to bump up my budget! Here's hoping for small miracles.

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
I'm a little worried about a J being too dark for her. What should my budget be to have the setting I want and a G or H stone? I'm 4 weeks from my first planned proposal date and still struggling!

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
If you believe a J would shine white enough for her then I'll keep it as an option. Any advice on the question about buying ring and stone from separate vendors?

These are the settings I'm leaning towards if purchasing both from JA..

This would leave around 2400 for stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-petite-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-41066

This would leave around 2900 for stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-thin-french-cut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-289

On that second choice, is that going to be the extremely thin band that looks breakable? I'm not sure how I feel about those, although she would probably like it. As said, her finger is a 5.5, how would it look?

Opinions?

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
Desparate bump..

I'd like to propose the week of august 9-16..so I need to decide. If i just go with that JA setting I like, I need the best possible stone the rest of my money can purchase. Then I promise to leave you all alone !

I have someone taking me to a store to see what I can get with their family discount , but I still feel like my best deal is online.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second option for setting you like is too cheaply made. I do not think it would livup to your expectations in real life.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-347997

Do do this (your budget could even do plat if that was something you were interested in ) I'd also ask about millgraining. I think this would look better millgrained
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-double-claw-prong-0.16ct-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-22644

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1405967038|3717706 said:
Desparate bump..

I'd like to propose the week of august 9-16..so I need to decide. If i just go with that JA setting I like, I need the best possible stone the rest of my money can purchase. Then I promise to leave you all alone !

I have someone taking me to a store to see what I can get with their family discount , but I still feel like my best deal is online.

Beware the "family and friends discount" -- either they've been marked up too high or you're getting screwed... usually both. You're right, SC... your best deal is online.

Please consider the options Niel has posted. She has a knack for finding the best deals on a strict budget!! :)) Best of luck to you!

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
Niel said:
The second option for setting you like is too cheaply made.

I was concerned about that..thank you for pointing it out. I like the option you posted, but she's going to prefer the halo with a smaller diamond..as will my peace of mind. Is that other setting a poor choice as well ? What about the b2c setting that got no love awhile back? I assume there was a reason for the no love. I still like the Gabriel setting as well but like I said, I worry about it fitting together right and now being ready in time.

Thanks for the responses!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1405972117|3717777 said:
Niel said:

I was concerned about that..thank you for pointing it out. I like the option you posted, but she's going to prefer the halo with a smaller diamond..as will my peace of mind. Is that other setting a poor choice as well ? What about the b2c setting that got no love awhile back? I assume there was a reason for the no love. I still like the Gabriel setting as well but like I said, I worry about it fitting together right and now being ready in time.

About the B2C settings... Of the two you posted, I like this one better. It would be difficult to set a round in the other one without it looking too awkward (circle in a rectangle -- you'd have an airline on the top and bottom unless the girdle overlapped the halo on the sides -- but then you'd just be paying for diamonds that are partially hidden by the center stone)
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Ac...Ring-Round-Diamond-14K-White-Gold-9944-1.aspx

That said, I like the Gabriel setting better. If you're worried about timing issues, just call them and see what they can do -- you may be pleasantly surprised!
https://bridal.gabrielny.com/product/ER10838W44JJ

SC, you had mentioned earlier in the thread that your FF had some pretty strong/definite opinions as to what she likes/dislikes... Would it be out of the question to propose with a solitaire and go pick out a halo setting together? I mean, it's hard to get the diamond "wrong" if you choose any of the stones suggested. However, if you go ahead and buy a setting she doesn't care for, then that's a lot of money to replace or have her be less than ecstatic about... If you go together to pick out the setting, she will get exactly what she wants and it'll be fun for both of you!! (win-win!!) :dance:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like the Gabriel setting as well but like I said, I worry about it fitting together right and now being ready in time.

I have a round in a cushion halo... what they will do is set the stone such that the girdle is every so slightly over the halo. The lower it's set, the better it will look. No matter which setting you choose, make sure to have them set it as low as possible. :))

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
msop04|1405973891|3717801 said:
Niel said:

About the B2C settings... Of the two you posted, I like this one better. It would be difficult to set a round in the other one without it looking too awkward (circle in a rectangle -- you'd have an airline on the top and bottom unless the girdle overlapped the halo on the sides -- but then you'd just be paying for diamonds that are partially hidden by the center stone)
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Ac...Ring-Round-Diamond-14K-White-Gold-9944-1.aspx

That said, I like the Gabriel setting better. If you're worried about timing issues, just call them and see what they can do -- you may be pleasantly surprised!
https://bridal.gabrielny.com/product/ER10838W44JJ

SC, you had mentioned earlier in the thread that your FF had some pretty strong/definite opinions as to what she likes/dislikes... Would it be out of the question to propose with a solitaire and go pick out a halo setting together? I mean, it's hard to get the diamond "wrong" if you choose any of the stones suggested. However, if you go ahead and buy a setting she doesn't care for, then that's a lot of money to replace or have her be less than ecstatic about... If you go together to pick out the setting, she will get exactly what she wants and it'll be fun for both of you!! (win-win!!) :dance:

I was thinking the same thing. Spend the most you can on the stone now and then get a simple solitaire setting for now so she can choose exactly what she would like.

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
I'm afraid she'd feel that the proposal didn't have as much appeal if it was just a stone and something she couldn't wear at that moment. As for just a placeholder setting, she's so emotional about this that I'm afraid she'd not want to change the setting since it'd be what I got her. Then she'd say she loved it and be stuck with something she doesn't like but won't mention it.

If that makes any sense. I know that she'll love the suggestions that meet the criteria here, it's just a matter of getting it done. If I choose the Gabriel setting do I get the stone separately then go have it set myself or what?

And as stated before, sheis perfectly fine with cushion if there is good light return. I've just been leaning round since it was said that they look largerand due to light return of course.

I know I sound like the most indecisive and confused person ever..but I love her and just want her to be perfectly satisfied from the moment she first sees it.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SouthernCharm|1405977738|3717852 said:
I'm afraid she'd feel that the proposal didn't have as much appeal if it was just a stone and something she couldn't wear at that moment. As for just a placeholder setting, she's so emotional about this that I'm afraid she'd not want to change the setting since it'd be what I got her. Then she'd say she loved it and be stuck with something she doesn't like but won't mention it.

If that makes any sense. I know that she'll love the suggestions that meet the criteria here, it's just a matter of getting it done. If I choose the Gabriel setting do I get the stone separately then go have it set myself or what?

And as stated before, sheis perfectly fine with cushion if there is good light return. I've just been leaning round since it was said that they look largerand due to light return of course.

I know I sound like the most indecisive and confused person ever..but I love her and just want her to be perfectly satisfied from the moment she first sees it.

You're not indecisive, you're thoughtful and sweet. You're going to make a great husband.

I haven't read your entire thread so I apologize in advance if these stones have been mentioned (or totally ignore me if I'm just going to make things more confusing) but how do you feel about this: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-89ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-j-k-vs1/

http://www.rubylane.com/item/318190-1892/Antique-Platinum-75-Transitional-Diamond-Art

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
That first ring has a culet and after extensive prior debate with her she can't decide if she likes them or not ha..

The second is not her style. It's going to have to be similar to the pics in the first post, although smaller since those are well out of my price range!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sheesh, I could've at least read the first post ;-) Good luck. I'm sure whatever you find will be perfect.

E B

Ideal_Rock

E B

Ideal_Rock
Good Old Gold could probably put something together for you pretty quickly. An option could be asking them what prong-set halo settings (they're a Gabriel retailer) they could put this in for your budget: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12403/

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
E B said:
Good Old Gold could probably put something together for you pretty quickly. An option could be asking them what prong-set halo settings (they're a Gabriel retailer) they could put this in for your budget:
I have contacted Good Old Gold so we'll see how that goes if they respond tomorrow. I LOVE that ritani setting, but it's a little over an hour to the nearest dealer so if I order from them is it pretty reliable that i'll still love it?

Niel said:
ask him if he can take it down to your budget if you're ok with the I1
And that ring is absolutely stunning as well, I just can't let myself get past that huge feather. I don't think she would either. She's going to look at it 24/7 when it hits her finger and I don't want her to notice that :( .

I feel like I'm so close! I'm ready to finally make a purchase and show it off to all of you who have helped guide me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results