shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock
Re: The Official TTC Thread!

Clover - I wish I had suggestions on how to lengthen a luteal phase, but it's been so long since I had one I don't know much about it. I hope the Red Raspberry Leaf Tea and B6 supplements help you!

tammy - Thanks for the advice. I actually was very regular before starting the pill years ago (my cycles were like clockwork, every 28 days) so while I expected maybe some irregularity the first couple months off the pill (maybe a 27 day cycle... then a 35 day cycle.. etc), I never imagined it would take THIS long to even get my period at all. Not that I've even gotten it yet. I know I should start temping, but I feel like since I probably haven't ovulated the charts would be all over the place and not make any sense. I had planned on trying a few months without temping because I don't want to drive myself even crazier than I already am, but maybe I'll go buy a thermometer. I don't wake up the same time every day though, so I feel like it wouldn't be accurate for me.

mia - Thanks for the info on the long cycles. I called my doctor and she said while she isn't concerned at this point because it can take several months to be "regular" again (or apparently to even ovulate/get a period at all), she knows I am anxious and I can come in to speak with her if I would like. Only problem is she was on vacation last week, she is booked solid this week, so the earliest appointment I can get is next Tuesday. So I took the appointment, but it's frustrating to have to wait another week. If she were going to suggest Provera, I would almost rather take it now and get it over with and possibly move onto the next "cycle". I know it won't make me ovulate, but maybe a fresh start is what I need? Who knows...

I started reading the TTC thread from the beginning (yes - all 709 pages of it - I am only up to page 36 though at the moment) to try to learn more about all this and to see how things went for others. I haven't found too many people who came off the pill and made it anywhere near CD56 without any period yet. A few people were irregular at first, but kind of like how I expected to be irregular - first cycle was 30 days, then 33 days, then 27 days, etc. I know I'm not the only one who this has happened to after coming off the pill, but at the moment it kind of feels like I am.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Lavender, when is the last time you took a pregnancy test? I know you took a few earlier this month, but not sure if you stopped and haven't tried again. I only ask because I remember Pancake waiting 8 weeks for AF right after coming off the pill--she finally got bloodwork done to see if she'd ovulated and lo and behold, she was pregnant. I remember because it was around the time I got my BFP (back on page 575 of this thread).

Nothing is worse than having somebody tell you that if you relax, you'll get pregnant. I had a friend who was told this while undergoing IVF treatment and literally burst into tears. I actually thought that was a diplomatic way of handling it.

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

NEL - I've been taking one every Sunday morning, all BFN. I keep hoping it'll change, and as much as I try to tell myself not to look for all these 'symptoms' I can't seem to help myself! Yesterday I felt a bunch of cramping and thought AF was *finally* coming, but then nothing. But I can't really take it to mean anything because I felt the same exact cramps at ~3 weeks after stopping the pill and ~5 weeks.

I had an appointment with my doctor for my annual physical yesterday and he said he would do a blood test for HCG, but I know it'll be negative. I have an appointment with my gynecologist on Tuesday, which I'm actually looking forward to because at this point I just want some answers! I think the most frustrating thing for me is not even having the CHANCE to get pregnant... somehow DH and I have been 'trying' for 2 months now, but I'm pretty sure we haven't even had any real chance yet!

One of my best friends had a baby yesterday, and as I'm sure many people who have gone through this whole "TTC" without immediate success can understand, I am very happy for her but it's been hard for me because I want this so much. I'm spending tomorrow night with her, her husband, and the baby and I can't wait to be around a tiny little baby (so cute!!!) but I know it'll be emotionally difficult for me. But at the same time I really AM happy for her... so then I just end up feeling like a bad person when I get upset afterwards.

DH has seen that it's been a difficult couple of weeks so today he took off from work (which he NEVER does in the middle of the week!) just to spend the day with me and do something fun to get my mind off of all this. We went to Hershey Park - it was so much fun and so nice to not think about this for a while. And I will say... the abundance of chocolate definitely didn't hurt ;))

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock

Lavender_81|1346166085|3258522 said:
I know I'm not the only one who this has happened to after coming off the pill, but at the moment it kind of feels like I am.

Lavender, we're not TTC yet but I just wanted to give you my experience here. It took a full 90 days for my first period to arrive after coming off the pill. I'd been on the pill for 12 years. I am still not regular after 12 months, but that may not be the case for you! I was very worried during this time (and I'm pretty sure I posted about it and Pancake weighed in), but apparently this is just the way some people are. From memory, I think my cycles were 90 days, then 50 days, then a textbook 28 days, then I stopped tracking (but they're still longer than average). Don't lose hope! It might just take a little longer.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock

Yep, I am the chump who thought she wasn't ovulating and turned out to be pregnant :oops:

BUT - that said, I worked out retrospectively that I must have ovulated on day 45 of that cycle, so definitely a big delay. My periods before the Pill were very irregular and my cycles were really long and apparently if that's the way it is before, then it's most likely that that will be the way it is after. Up to 3 months of no period after coming off is pretty common, I'm told.

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

Echidna - Thanks so much for sharing your experience - it helps to feel like I'm not the only one. I'm on day 63 now and still nothing, and I should probably just stop with the OPKs but I keep trying. I just tested and it's definitely darker than it has been, but there is always a line so I'm not getting my hopes up. All I'm really doing at this point probably is wasting my money on them :???:

Pancake - I read your story from earlier in the TTC thread - happy to see it's possible to get pregnant later in the cycle (and not even know it!), but I know that isn't the case for me because my HPTs have all been negative. I guess I'll just wait it out and see what happens, but I just didn't expect this given that my cycles always used to be regular 28-days before I was on the Pill. I feel like I've done something to mess myself up and I wish I could go back and fix it.

I've been reading the beginning/middle of this thread and it used to be so active and lively - I wish there were more people here now! Where are all the TTCers? I can't be the only one!!

I have a doctor appointment later today to discuss all of this - I wonder if my doctor will give me Provera? I don't even know if I want it. On the one hand, I keep holding out hope that I'll still ovulate and get pregnant this 'cycle', but on the other hand when I'm already at day 63 I doubt I'll ovulate on my own and even if I did, it's pretty unlikely that I would get pregnant. Ahh why does this have to be stressful? :errrr:

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Lavender, sorry it is taking awhile for your cycle to come back. That would be super frustrating. It sort of seems like it depends on what kind of BC you were on. I know some people like LC were on extended, three-month type birth control, which seems to delay your cycle more. I was on a really low dose kind and my AF returned very quickly (but then I still didn't manage to get pregnant for about 10 months with a little help). It just depends on your sensitivity to hormones and the level of hormones in the type you were taking, etc. Crossing my fingers you return to a normal cycle quickly.

It is kind of sad that this thread is quiet lately. I think many of the ladies who had been around awhile have moved over to the trying for 6 months or more thread and the others who have TTC'd lately have been getting BFPs really quickly, which is a good thing. Guess it just ebbs and flows and hopefully some new people will be joining you soon. Good luck!

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

MP - I think you're right - I was on a low-dose BC pill but my doctor had said I could take 2-3 packs back to back (skipping the placebo week) if I wanted to avoid getting my period. I've heard from several doctors that there is no harm in this, however, what they failed to mention is it may screw up your cycle even more when you come off the pills! Had I known that, I never would have taken packs back to back. But what's done is done now... I do hope more people join this thread soon. It looks like it used to be such a nice place to come to for support, advice, and to just not feel so alone in this process. DH and I haven't told anyone we're TTC (and we don't plan to tell anyone) so I was looking forward to having people here to talk to about this, but now it seems like everyone is gone! Hopefully more people will join soon.

So I went to my doctor yesterday, and while she didn't actually do anything, I left the appointment feeling a little better. She's so sweet (even when I was sitting there crying in her office, which I tried SO hard not to do) and she just wants me to give my body more time to sort itself out. She promised me she won't make me wait a year before doing infertility testing if it comes to that, but for now she wants me to wait another 4 weeks before she'll give me Provera. She said I can go get my hormone levels tested in a month if I want to and get a pelvic ultrasound (which she gave me a prescription for) whenever I want to, but she doesn't see the need right now.

This morning I woke up and used an OPK as usual, and I can't tell if it's positive. It got dark immediately and kept getting darker than it ever had before, but it's not DARKER than the control line. I don't know if it's positive or not! I tried attaching the picture but I don't know if it worked.

If anyone is reading, hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend and is having a good week! :wavey:

_779.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Lavender, that's not quite positive, but it's really close. Take another test tonight if you get a chance and tomorrow morning, and I bet it will be darker than the control. Looks like you are about to ovulate! Yay! Time to get busy :)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Oh this is good--it's a near positive. Like MP said, take another tonight and just keep doubling up on tests every day until it starts to fade. And the most important part, get down to business!

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

MP and NEL - thanks for looking at my test! I had a feeling that one wasn't quite dark enough, but I don't have much experience with these so it helps to have others' opinions! Just took another one..... is this dark enough yet?

_781.jpg

Octavia

Ideal_Rock

Lavender_81|1346855595|3262584 said:
I do hope more people join this thread soon. It looks like it used to be such a nice place to come to for support, advice, and to just not feel so alone in this process. DH and I haven't told anyone we're TTC (and we don't plan to tell anyone) so I was looking forward to having people here to talk to about this, but now it seems like everyone is gone! Hopefully more people will join soon.

Hey Lavender! I'm still lurking here, as I've been doing for YEARS now, but I'll come out to play for you. We're just not quite there yet...I thought we were close a little over a year ago, but then some big life changes happened and I had something of a meltdown about all of it, so TTC got pushed out awhile longer. Now things have settled down and DH is starting to get itchy, and I'm running out of reasons not to try, so I will probably be joining you for real in the near future (unless you graduate before that happens!). The only real "no" factor left is just job/finances, but there will never really be a good time for me to take maternity leave and we will never have that magical number in the bank, at least while we're still young enough to actually have kids, so at some point it becomes more a fact of life than a reason to wait. Not gonna lie, though, I am still on the fence a bit but it's more about not really wanting to be pregnant than the post-birth wonderful craziness that will surely ensue. I'm sure it will be a great experience once it actually happens, but it has always freaked me out a little and the pregnancy and postpartum threads have not helped! I really should have stayed out of them, haha. So I'm trying to reconcile myself to that, given that I really do want to raise a child and I know DH wants a biological child if at all possible.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi because I feel bad that you're lonely in here, and I hope things start to work themselves out with your cycles soon. I had some craziness in that department but not for about 6 months after going off HBC -- initially, things were almost too perfect, given my history of long and slightly wonky cycles, so I wasn't exactly surprised -- but hopefully you're getting it all out of the way now and it will be smooth sailing soon!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

Get busy cause that's positive! :rodent: Good luck!!!

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

tammy - Thanks so much!!! I've been following your TTC journey and am cheering you on too!!

Octavia - I definitely hear you on the job/finances situation. I waited for years now because I was in grad school and I wanted to wait until I finished. Now I have about 3 months left (which consists of an internship) and I'm starting to realize that maybe this timing isn't good either. TTC is taking longer than I anticipated, and now if I got pregnant, I'm starting to realize nobody would hire me if I was 6-7 months pregnant looking for my first job out of school! Meanwhile, my friends who had babies a couple months ago or are due within the next few weeks will likely finish school only a few months behind me, but they'll be able to get jobs immediately after they graduate. So looks like all my planning didn't do me much good! DH and I could wait a few more months to TTC to ensure that I can look for a job right away after graduation, but I've been realizing more and more throughout this whole TTC process that I just cannot control everything. I can certainly TRY ;)) but in the end, I really have no control over this. There really is no PERFECT time - DH and I want a baby so much now, so we are trying and whatever happens is meant to be. I really believe everything happens for a reason, it's just so so hard to understand those reasons sometimes until later on in life. Thanks for coming out to talk even if you're not TTC yet!!

So I think my OPKs were positive yesterday afternoon, so DH and I BD'ed last night. Then I laid in bed with my hips up for over an hour (I know there isn't anything to say that actually helps, but it helped me feel like I was doing something to help those little spermies get to where they need to go!) This morning I think my OPKs are back to not being positive anymore. I think we may have missed our best chance this month - I knew we should've BD'ed Tuesday night but it got late and it was CD 63 so I figured there was NO chance i would be ovulating anytime soon anyway! Well that showed me... Now all I keep thinking is that we should've on Tuesday night and now we missed our chance! Ahhh.. I guess I may be in my first REAL 2ww now? :shock: Not feeling too optimistic about our chances this month, but I am happy I may have finally ovulated!!! :appl:

Does anyone know if it's safe to get a flu shot when TTC (and specifically, during the 2ww)? I know it's safe during pregnancy, but would it somehow affect implantation or anything else potentially going on these next few days? Also, tDap shot - better to get that now or when pregnant? I know I could ask my doctor all these questions (and I probably will) but was wondering if anyone here knew the answers.

Hope everyone reading is having a good week!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Lavender, don't sweat your timing, you timed it well. Remember, you typically don't ovulate until 12 - 24 hours (or more) after your first postive OPK, so it's not like you missed a window. His swimmers are likely just wandering around waiting for an egg to show up. The good news is that it sounds like you're ovulating, so your long wait wasn't for nothin'!

As for the shots, it's hard to find a definitive answer. I can't remember when I got my DTaP, but I'm fairly certain it was before we started TTC. I've read that most docs wait until the 2nd or 3rd tri to administer it, but I'm sure the recommendation varies from doc to doc. The flu shot is less controversial, I believe. I got mine in the first tri because I just happened to get pregnant during flu season. My doc recommended that women who were TTC or in any stage of pregnancy get it because the flu vaccine can be bad for a fetus and it's better to be safe. But again, I'm sure different OBs have different beliefs.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Lavender, I completely agree with NEL on this one. Your timing was actually great. If you and DH are really motivated, you should try it again tonight to cover your bases. Don't sweat it too much though, especially just starting out. As you said, there's only so much you can control. Who knows, you might just be one of those lucky ones who gets pregnant on the first shot. You never know until you try. Wishing you lots of luck!

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

NEL and MP - thanks for the advice. I thought the timing was ok, but I guess not good enough. AF showed up this morning and I have to say, I'm pretty shocked and very sad. I knew chances were I wouldn't get pregnant this time since I didn't ovulate until CD 65, but to get my period 4 days later?? That doesn't even make sense. But it's definitely AF (definitely not implantation spotting, although it would even be too early for that too I think).

I'm so upset right now. When I went off the pill I really thought I would be pregnant by now. Clearly i misjudged the amount of time it would take for my body to regulate after stopping the pill, but I just thought I would either be pregnant or at least be on my 3rd cycle TTC right now.... not finishing my first completely abnormal 69-day cycle. I just have a feeling I'll have another 60 or 70 day cycle next time with no chance of getting pregnant. I was so encouraged when I finally got those positive OPKs (along with other ovulation symptoms) and I really think I ovulated...... so why did I get my period 4 days later? I thought maybe my luteal phase would be a bit shorter after the pill (like maybe 10-12 days instead of my pre-pill 14 days), but 4 days??

Today I have to go see one of my best friends and her 2-week old newborn... yesterday I was so looking forward to this, but today I feel like I was slapped in the face without any warning and this is the last thing I want to be doing right now.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Lavender, hmm, that's really strange, and I'm sorry you've had such a frustrating cycle. Have you taken a pregnancy test recently or continued to take ovulation tests? I only ask because you can also get positive ovulation tests if you are pregnant. More than likely, it was just a strange cycle and your body is adjusting to coming off birth control. I would give yourself a few more cycles before you assume anything is wrong or abnormal. Hopefully this AF will jumpstart your cycle. Getting pregnant your first cycle off birth control can happen to a lucky few, but I think it is more the norm that it takes a least a few cycles to regulate and sometimes a little longer to get pregnant. Hang in there!

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

MP - I got the positive OPK Wednesday afternoon, then starting Thursday it was fading out and not positive at all anymore. Yesterday I took both a pregnancy test (I knew there was no way I could be pregnant so not really sure why I did, I've just been in the habit of taking one every Sunday morning for the last 6 weeks so I did - there was no line at all) and an OPK (which had just the slightest hint of a line - so after Wednesday's positive OPK it totally faded out and is gone now, which I assume would be normal following ovulation).

I just don't get it. How can AF show up 4 days after I ovulated? I just feel like my body has *no idea* what to do anymore and it's so SO frustrating knowing there isn't anything I can really do to get it back on track. I don't want another 70 day cycle - then again it's another 3 months without being able to get pregnant, and suddenly I'll have been 'trying' for 6 months without really any chance at all.

Just got back from seeing my friend's baby - he's really cute. I thought it would be harder for me to be there - I held him for over 3 hours and it just made me want a baby even more, but I thought it would be more emotionally difficult than it was. I think I'm just so numb by AF showing up today I haven't really processed it... I didn't think I would get pregnant this 'cycle' but I still wasn't expecting it for another week, so I think I'm just still really confused about it. My friend told me her baby needs friends so I should really start working on it. I told her sometimes it just isn't that simple.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock

Lavender I was just catching up and reading your story. I don't really have anything to offer as far as advice but just wanted to say Hugs! It's so hard to want something and have it not work the way you want. Sorry also its so quiet here :(. I didn't post here much as I have some history that makes me anxious and I don't like to talk about negative stuff to those who are new to all of this. It's so nice (well sometimes) at the beginning...sigh. Anyway hang in there and come visit us on the other ttc if you need us.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

Lavender I only have a moment but wanted to say that 1. I strongly suggest you start temping/charting so you'll know for sure where you're at and you have a good history to show your doc if you end up needing it. Plus it's like a rocking chair to me. Yeah I'm not going forward quite yet but it keeps me moving and feeling like I'm doing something. 2. It's extremely common to have short leuteal phases post bc for the first couple of cycles. That said, I suspect you will not have as long of a cycle this time and if this next one isn't the magical bfp month, then the month after that it'll probably be back to normal by then

Gotta run :( big hugs!

Clover

Rough_Rock

Lavender, I just wanted to tell you that when I realized that I have a short luteal phase last cycle, I started taking B-6 (100-200mg's) and drinking 3-4 cups of raspberry leaf tea daily and it seems to have helped. This cycle was still long (I didn't ovulate until about day 29) but I'm on day 9 of my luteal phase (versus <6 days previously) and haven't gotten my period yet.

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

pavelover, tammy, and clover - thank you so much for the hugs and advice. I'm so sorry I did not respond until now - it's been a crazy few weeks with holidays and I started a new internship (my last one before finishing grad school!) and I was also trying not to think about all of this TTC as much because it was making me really sad and frustrated. I do appreciate all your advice, though, and it was so helpful to know a few other people were here reading my posts even though it's been so empty here these days!

So, update. I don't know what to say. I think I ovulated last Sunday, which was CD 20 and a HUGE improvement over ovulating on CD 65 last cycle. I wasn't completely sure because the OPK was only AS dark (but not DARKER) than the control line, but I felt other O symptoms (but no EWCM, so I still wasn't sure).

Today is 8PO. I don't know what possessed me to take a pregnancy test, but I did. And I think it's positive. Actually I took 4 tests (3 wondfos, 1 FRER) and they're all positive. I think. My husband thinks I'm crazy. He says he doesn't see a line but he sees where a line should be, but says if it were a line then it would be darker and as dark as the "other dark line".

It's only 8DPO with pee from 11:30pm and I know I shouldn't have tested anyway (I told myself I wouldn't!!!) but I did and now I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me. Am I crazy????? :errrr:

The Wondfos were all veryyyyyy faint at 5 minutes but then got darker as I kept taking other tests and they sat on the counter. FRER I know I see a line and it looks pink but are my eyes playing tricks on me? I just don't know what to think....

hpt_8dpo.jpg

frer.jpg

Octavia

Ideal_Rock

Lavender, I definitely see two lines!! Congrats! :appl:

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! Lavender I see two lines. Just try to be patient and test in a few days (or tomorrow, lol). Try to get your pee concentrated. I have been fooled by some tests in the past but it really seems like a BFP! I'll be watching here :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That looks like a BFP to me!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

Yep! You're pregnant and it only took two cycles! :) congrats!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

That is a positive test, congratulations!

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

Octavia, pavelover, DandiAndi, tammy, and Ltlfirecracker - thanks so much!!! I still don't really believe it. That first cycle felt like it would never end and I would never ovulate again and I never expected to have a relatively normal cycle so soon after that. I still feel like something doesn't add up with this... I see the positive tests, but it still was a cycle where I didn't ovulate until CD 21 and this is just really really early. I'm so scared of a chemical pregnancy or miscarriage, I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up.

I've been forwarding the replies from this thread to DH and I think he finally believes me that the tests are positive ::) Last night when I took the first test and saw the faintest line I started crying hysterically and couldn't breathe because I was just so happy but so so scared that I was seeing things - and he REALLY thought I was just seeing things that weren't there. I finally made him pee in a cup and I used a Wondfo to show him what a NEGATIVE test looks like (good news - DH is NOT pregnant!) and he finally saw the difference between my tests and "his" test. He's also being really really cautious though, and I think that's a good thing.

I've taken 9 tests so far - 7 Wondfos and 2 FRERs - all faint positives. I realized I was off with my counting, so I am 10DPO today (which means my first positive was yesterday 9DPO at night). I am so cautious and so nervous I don't think I slept at all last night! I so hope this little bean sticks....

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

YAY!! Lavender, I've been thinking about you!!!! I'm so excited for you, you are DEFINITELY pregnant!

Go get yourself a digi to fully convince your husband!

I also got a faint line at 8DPO (tested in the evening). My husband analyzed the line until about 3am not convinced I was pregnant. Finally at 4am (9DPO), I just used a digi and he couldn't deny the word "pregnant".

My lines were pretty faint until about 12DPO.

Okay, back to YAYing!!! WOOHOO!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results