carat
color
clarity

The official LIW e-ring suggestions thread

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354203828|3318287 said:
Thank you, aud.

He actually brought it up last night, how he was re-looking at the links I e-mailed him. He said "You know that the setting is only for round stones." I was like, “I was 100% positive it said round OR princess cut.” So I went and looked again just to be sure, and I was right. Apparently on the mobile app, it only said for round cuts.
Strange…

(I did feel slightly giddy that he was looking on his own, without coercion from me).

It all boils down to money. He said if he had the money, he'd buy the ring tomorrow.

I'm not quite sure how he feels about purchasing online. I myself have a hard time with it. I need to physically try things on, and see with my own eyes how I like something, and not through a computer screen. Maybe he feels the same way. I dunno.
I agree with pandabee! He's listening. It takes guys some time. Very sweet that he was checking it out on his own!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
You're both right. I can see where he’s coming from, too. I wouldn’t wanna look at rings if I wasn’t ready to buy, either.

and panda, no, I haven't tried other shapes yet. I have a dinner/browsing date with a girlfriend on December 11th, so we'll both be trying on rings.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354210089|3318390 said:
You're both right. I can see where he’s coming from, too. I wouldn’t wanna look at rings if I wasn’t ready to buy, either.

and panda, no, I haven't tried other shapes yet. I have a dinner/browsing date with a girlfriend on December 11th, so we'll both be trying on rings.
Yep. It's a tough spot to be in. I hope you have fun trying on shapes with your friend! Try on everything you can. Even if you don't think you'll like it. You'd be surprised what you like on your hand!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry to hear you are having a bad LIW day MBKRH. It sounds as though he is definitely interested in the research stage, but its just too soon for the purchasing part.

It sounds as though we are in the same/similar boat! Its not so bad, we won't be in it forever! Sit down, take a load off! :twirl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Try on a solitaire.
Try on a three stone.
Try on a halo.

Try as many shapes as you can.
Try different metal colors.

Try prongs.
Try bezels.

Try wider shanks.
Try really delicate thin shanks.

Try on anything they will let you try. Don't worry too much about the diamond quality (they'll most likely be crap).

Get a feel for those things and you'll be able to choose something virtually that will be something you love on you.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354284158|3319200 said:
Try on a solitaire.
Try on a three stone.
Try on a halo.

Try as many shapes as you can.
Try different metal colors.

Try prongs.
Try bezels.

Try wider shanks.
Try really delicate thin shanks.

Try on anything they will let you try. Don't worry too much about the diamond quality (they'll most likely be crap).

Get a feel for those things and you'll be able to choose something virtually that will be something you love on you.

Love this, Aud. I printed it out at work today, and it's nestled safely in my purse. Lord knows when I get to the stores, I'll completely forget my mission, and will just focus on a couple of rings. So, thank you! This list will keep my head out of the clouds.

@panda, I agree!

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354316483|3319601 said:
Love this, Aud. I printed it out at work today, and it's nestled safely in my purse. Lord knows when I get to the stores, I'll completely forget my mission, and will just focus on a couple of rings. So, thank you! This list will keep my head out of the clouds.
I'm so glad! :) Let us know how it goes!!!!!!!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354318091|3319620 said:
MBKRH|1354316483|3319601 said:
I'm so glad! :) Let us know how it goes!!!!!!!

Oh, I will!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Take pictures if you can! At least of your very favorites!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354321803|3319661 said:
Take pictures if you can! At least of your very favorites!

Yes yes yes!!! Take lots of pics, I live vicariously through bling ****! Aud has a nice list for you...have fun, go to mall stores, family jewelers, anywhere that will let you try on everything! One family jeweler I went to WANTED me to try on everything. It's really the best way to see what you like. He was also trying to talk me into a HOF halo ring...but I am SO not a halo girl. The HOF halo earrings however... :Up_to_something: just way too much money!

And yes...please post lots of pics! :lickout:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I will, ladies! I'm not sure where exactly we'll end up, as it'll be on a weekday, and so it'll be after work (5 p.m.), in a city the opposite direction from my home. It should be fun, though, I'm looking forward to it.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354330950|3319728 said:
I will, ladies! I'm not sure where exactly we'll end up, as it'll be on a weekday, and so it'll be after work (5 p.m.), in a city the opposite direction from my home. It should be fun, though, I'm looking forward to it.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
So tomorrow is my ring browsing day! I'm actually excited to be spending time with another LIW, trying out rings n' stuff! (Even though I already know what I want). It's going to be some good quality girl time.

It's also my monthiversary..... 18 months! It seems like so much longer. Poor M has to work until 9, so I know there won't be any special plans, but I'm secretly hoping I'll get some flowers at work tomorrow. We shall see.

I will report back with my findings- I'm going to do my best to take notes and pictures while browsing.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun tomorrow, and happy monthsary! Remember to try on a good variety of different shapes, setting styles, and see coors if they're GIA/AGS graded! :wavey: And most importantly, have lots of fun! And take pics if you can :naughty:

audball

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!! Have fun Heidi! :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
How'd it go today!? :naughty:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh.... well, we only made it to one store, Jared. ("awww he went to Jared- gag me!)

It didn't go as well as I would have liked. The store was packed, and the associate was obviously rushed (I can't blame him- he knew I was just looking and I felt bad wasting his time when there were paying customers around). The most I probably learned was my ring size.

Now I'm just all depressed from looking at all those sparklies and feeling overwhelmed. My friend said that I really need to go with M- it would be good for both of us. However, there's no way I could talk him into "ring browsing."

I'm still hell bent on the ring I sent M the links for. I don't wanna ring browse anymore. :knockout:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry it didn't go as you had imagined, MB! What kinds of rings did you try?

Perhaps you need to focus on something else for a while - if not another jewellery project something else entirely! It can be heartbreaking to fall in love with a ring/stone and watch it be sold to another person. Do you know aroundabout when purchasing will be feasible? When the car payments are finished, yes?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
The car should be paid off in about a year, give or take. But that's all I can really guesstimate.

I tried on some halo's.... they were pretty, but nothing really made me drool. It was hard to get hyped because my friend didn't want to try things on 'cause she already picked hers out. So the pressure was all on me, and as a shy, reserved person- I couldn't stand it.

Well, here's a few I tried on that I took pictures of. Sorry for the poor lighting, but my flash would have washed everything out.

ghi.jpg
def.jpg
abc.jpg

I wasn't too experimental.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Aw well at least you were able to make it to one store. Were you able to rule anything out? Anything you know for sure you *don't* want now? Of the three photos, I like the last one on you the best.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any non-maul jewelers to visit? The first two photos show rings that are typical of maul jewelry. I'm sorry that they were too busy to attend to you. Next time, stick your head up high, and make up a story in your head to follow. A story helps give you confidence when answering the sales associates' questions. Pretend you're going to buy, and soon. That will make them spend time with you. Don't feel guilty about taking their time.

Were you able to at least see the different shapes, and try on diff metals?

Oh I wish you were near me, I'd drag you into my local jewelry stores!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
@panda. Not really, unfortunately. We were also pressed for time. My friend said next time (if there is a next time) we'll need to go during the afternoon, and I agree. It was a bit of a wasted trip, it seems. :|

@madelise. Possibly, I'd have to look around the area. It's one of those things- you KNOW they're around, but you never notice where until you're interested in checking it out.
I did see different shapes (still not fond of pear, marquise, emerald), and I know I'd like white gold, no matter what.

I wish you were near me, too. I'd learn a great deal on a browsing trip with you.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1355304442|3329195 said:
Do you have any non-maul jewelers to visit? The first two photos show rings that are typical of maul jewelry. I'm sorry that they were too busy to attend to you. Next time, stick your head up high, and make up a story in your head to follow. A story helps give you confidence when answering the sales associates' questions. Pretend you're going to buy, and soon. That will make them spend time with you. Don't feel guilty about taking their time.

Were you able to at least see the different shapes, and try on diff metals?

Oh I wish you were near me, I'd drag you into my local jewelry stores!

Ditto. And if your bf is willing, usually that's enough to not have to make up ANY story! And remember its their job to attend to you...don't feel like you are wasting your time.

I second other jewelry stores. I went to a really nice family jewelry store, they were able to bring out stones and plop them in settings for me. They answered all my questions, they let me try on anything and everything I wanted. It was DEFINATELY a great experience. They are still emailing my bf every 6 months LMFAO. Oops.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Aw, I'm sorry it didn't go as well as you' d like. I agree with panda, that of the three pictures you posted I prefer #3 on you.

That being said, I still think you're original choice from WF will look lovely on you as well.

Your best bet may be to go to some local family jewelers, then tend to be more interested in building relationships than *just* making sales.

But it's fine, too, if you don't want to try anything else on. If you love the WF one, than by all means! I have loved the Sholdt semi bezel (my setting) since I first saw it on PS 4 years ago. I never shook it out of my head. I had never seen it in person. And now that I have it, I love it as much as I thought I would. Sometimes your gut is right.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MBKRH|1355313623|3329215 said:
@panda. Not really, unfortunately. We were also pressed for time. My friend said next time (if there is a next time) we'll need to go during the afternoon, and I agree. It was a bit of a wasted trip, it seems. :|

@madelise. Possibly, I'd have to look around the area. It's one of those things- you KNOW they're around, but you never notice where until you're interested in checking it out.
I did see different shapes (still not fond of pear, marquise, emerald), and I know I'd like white gold, no matter what.

I wish you were near me, too. I'd learn a great deal on a browsing trip with you.

Learn schmearn, we'd have lots of fun! ;)) Can you do a yelp/white pages search? That's actually how I found my first mom&pop shop around here. Good you narrowed yourself down to white gold, and ensured you don't like those shapes. If you don't like the emerald, it's safe to say you don't like step cuts, so you can kick out asschers and such too. If you don't like the pear, I'm almost certain you won't like an oval, considering the cutting is usually pretty similar, minus the point. I really do wish there was some way or another for you to try on an excellent cut princess vs. cushion vs. round, though!

Do you have a Tiffany & Co around you? At least you can see some well cut rounds and princesses.. They have their own propriety cushion, too, but at least you can work with the shape/outline.

:!: Oh yes, and have you properly done research on princess cuts? I was recently reminded, from a thread I got spanked in :lol: :oops: (I'm ALWAYS getting in trouble here!) that princesses are easier to damage and chip than other stones. They're chipped quite often during setting, just because of those sharp corners, and also chip quite often from wear and tear. Darn corners!! If you do a quick PS search "chip(per) princess", you can pull up a few different threads. Just want to lay out some info for you, in case you haven't heard of it.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise is right. At least you pinned down a few must haves (white gold) and eliminated a few shapes! That's a start!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1355333220|3329449 said:
Do you have a Tiffany & Co around you? At least you can see some well cut rounds and princesses.. They have their own propriety cushion, too, but at least you can work with the shape/outline.

:love: :love: :love: :loopy: :lickout:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
@LLC. Not sure if M is willing at the moment. He's so stressed with money, I'd really have to wait for the right time to ask him. Even then, I'm not too confident he'd want to go.

I will do my best to find some family jewelry stores in the area.

@Aud. Thank you, I like #3 too, but my WF choice will always be my #1 pick. You're right about having that gut feeling. That's exactly how I feel about my WF choice.

@madelise. You crack me up! I know we'd have lots of fun, but I know I would learn a TON, too. I will look into yelp... I don't know why I didn't think of that before. *duh*

And you're right- I'm sure I wouldn't care for asschers or ovals, either.
My nearest Tiffany & Co is about 15 miles away. Not too far, but it's a pain to get to. I guess it's worth a shot, though!

I didn't know that about Princess cuts, however, it makes total sense. t is definitely something to consider, as I'd be so upset if I chipped it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Thanks for all your responses, ladies. I do appreciate it. I think I'm going to sit back for a bit and just see what happens. I'll definitely update if I go anywhere else/try anything new one/take pictures. :twirl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1355358574|3329836 said:
@Aud. Thank you, I like #3 too, but my WF choice will always be my #1 pick. You're right about having that gut feeling. That's exactly how I feel about my WF choice.

Thanks for all your responses, ladies. I do appreciate it. I think I'm going to sit back for a bit and just see what happens. I'll definitely update if I go anywhere else/try anything new one/take pictures. :twirl:
Nothing wrong with that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results