shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official 2010 Winter Olympics Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 7:08:18 PM
Author: kama_s

Date: 2/28/2010 6:23:58 PM
Author: icekid
........ totally devastated.

But a great, great game. Ryan Miller is breaking my heart
39.gif
39.gif
Congrats to the Canadians (oh so painful to say
3.gif
3.gif
)

At the end of the day, I am proud to say that our American team is much better looking
2.gif
Your goalie is bloody fantastic. And you defence is definitely much stronger than ours. But no one beats our offence. This was anyone''s game to be honest. The last game, however, we were much much stronger. This time, we were more equally balanced.
Never in my entire life has my heart been in my mouth so much. I had a bad, bad feeling towards the end of the 3rd period. I was dreading a shoot out as well. So of course I am over the moon with the outcome, but I don''t think I have a brunette hair left on my head!

Great to have a drink with Canuck-Gal too!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Many, many congratulations and huge respect to both Joannie Rochette and Petra Majdic for being honoured with the 2010 Terry Fox Olympic Award. Two ladies who embody the olympic spirit

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just got back from Yonge and Dundas where a spontaneous street party broke out! Honestly it was NUTS. This is the closest I can get to a hockey win, considering the Leafs are pathetic (besides, I am NOT a Leafs fan!). There were at least 5-10K people out on the street, people climbing onto light poles to tie flags, breaking into the national anthem every 5 minutes and what not. I am LOVING this moment!!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 8:29:47 PM
We just got back from Yonge and Dundas where a spontaneous street party broke out! Honestly it was NUTS. This is the closest I can get to a hockey win, considering the Leafs are pathetic (besides, I am NOT a Leafs fan!). There were at least 5-10K people out on the street, people climbing onto light poles to tie flags, breaking into the national anthem every 5 minutes and what not. I am LOVING this moment!!!!

kama- Sounds pretty amazing! Enjoy!!
36.gif
I hope to be able to experience something like that someday...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
The closing ceremonies are so beautiful and they have just started! Loved the way the dealt with the malfunction of the opening ceremonies! I am so sad that it is coming to an end, but so proud too!!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2010 8:38:15 PM

36.gif
Forget Buffalo, move to Detroit! You have a 50% chance of winning the Stanley cup at least once in the next two years!

I'm going to have serious Olympic withdrawal tomorrow. What am I to do with all my free time?!!!!!!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 8:51:12 PM

36.gif

Forget Buffalo, move to Detroit! You have a 50% chance of winning the Stanley cup at least once in the next two years!

I''m going to have serious Olympic withdrawal tomorrow. What am I to do with all my free time?!!!!!!!!

haha.. Detroit, well, my little brother''s best friend is going to be their goalie eventually! And I am soooo sad that the Olympics are over too. Want to join me in Sochi? We might go!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Icekid, it would absolutely amazing to go to Sochi!!! Can I come too?

Kama, enjoy!! What an exciting night!
36.gif

Gailey, glad you got to have a drink with Sharon!! And what a fun night to get together!

Apparently there are 200,000 people in downtown Vancouver right now, PARTY!!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

36.gif

I''m going to have serious Olympic withdrawal tomorrow. What am I to do with all my free time?!!!!!!!!
My money is on Chicago!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 8:59:35 PM

36.gif

haha.. Detroit, well, my little brother''s best friend is going to be their goalie eventually! And I am soooo sad that the Olympics are over too. Want to join me in Sochi? We might go!
Guess who''s heading to London for 2012?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 9:14:11 PM
Author: hlmr
Icekid, it would absolutely amazing to go to Sochi!!! Can I come too?

Kama, enjoy!! What an exciting night!
36.gif

Gailey, glad you got to have a drink with Sharon!! And what a fun night to get together!

Apparently there are 200,000 people in downtown Vancouver right now, PARTY!!!
It has to be said - no-one can party like the Canadians!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joh Furlong''s speech sucked the life out of me. Jeez. And that french was absolutely atrocious!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 9:59:55 PM
Joh Furlong''s speech sucked the life out of me. Jeez. And that french was absolutely atrocious!
But not bad eh? For an Irishman!!

John Furlong can do no wrong in my eyes.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
What the *bleep*?! This is MORTIFYING. This has to be the tackiest, most tasteless, humiliating excuse for closing ceremonies ever. The opening ceremonies made me glow with pride but this is like someone took LSD before wandering into a souvenir shop and having a bad, BAD trip.
38.gif

I am so embarrassed by the taste Canada just left in the collective international mouth.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2010 10:29:28 PM
Author: Galateia
What the *bleep*?! This is MORTIFYING. This has to be the tackiest, most tasteless, humiliating excuse for closing ceremonies ever. The opening ceremonies made me glow with pride but this is like someone took LSD before wandering into a souvenir shop and having a bad, BAD trip.
38.gif

I am so embarrassed by the taste Canada just left in the collective international mouth.
That''s what I said to Mr. Kama too. It would be much funnier if I was smoking a spliff! The intention was to make fun of Canadian stereotypes - I guess us laughing at ourselves? But I doubt anyone else outside Canada would understand that.

I did like Buble''s performance...was hoping he''d be part of the closing. And I LOVED that they played the old Hockey Night in Canada theme song, although, again, you''d only understand it if you were Canadian.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 10:37:01 PM

38.gif

That''s what I said to Mr. Kama too. It would be much funnier if I was smoking a spliff! The intention was to make fun of Canadian stereotypes - I guess us laughing at ourselves? But I doubt anyone else outside Canada would understand that.

I did like Buble''s performance...was hoping he''d be part of the closing. And I LOVED that they played the old Hockey Night in Canada theme song, although, again, you''d only understand it if you were Canadian.

It was so unbelievably awful. It was like said souvenir shop just threw up all over the stage. UGH. And what the heck, Catharine O''Hara? Way to be super offensive and very NOT Canadian. Grrr. Such bad taste.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
So where is Canada''s most beloved daughter - Celine?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
^^ She said no when asked.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 10:57:16 PM
Author: Gailey
So where is Canada''s most beloved daughter - Celine?

Probably slaving away to pay off the gambling debts her husband incurred during her stint in Vegas.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I would have liked to have seen Shania Twain.

The Nbc commentators said they watched the rehearsal and it was going to be campy. They weren''t kidding.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
"She said no when asked"

Mon Dieu
6.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to work this afternoon. Sorry I missed it.
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been avoiding this thread because we''ve been recording all the games and watching them later.
But I just wanted to pop in and say that I don''t think I could love any sport more than I love short track. AMAZING.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 11:07:45 PM
Author: Haven
I''ve been avoiding this thread because we''ve been recording all the games and watching them later.

But I just wanted to pop in and say that I don''t think I could love any sport more than I love short track. AMAZING.

+1. I remember jumping up and down at one point, and someone crashed, and I just crashed down onto the floor. So exciting!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 12:23:41 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 2/28/2010 11:07:45 PM
Author: Haven

+1. I remember jumping up and down at one point, and someone crashed, and I just crashed down onto the floor. So exciting!
++1 It was so exciting to watch!! After seeing the races I told my DH I want to take up speed skating. It looks like so much fun and great exercise!! He just said... ''Sure, honey'' and rolled his eyes. lol

icekid

Ideal_Rock

38.gif

And I LOVED that they played the old Hockey Night in Canada theme song, although, again, you''d only understand it if you were Canadian.

Well, this almost Canadian certainly knew the Hockey Night in Canada song (miss it!) It''s funny, as it was playing I was thinking how familiar to me it was, but how strange the rest of America had probably never heard it before!

The closing ceremonies were uh, yeah kind of weak. We didn''t watch much after the athletes came in. They may not have showed this in Canada, but Ryan Miller was there and was absolutely beaming away. It was nice to see him happy and smiling
9.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 7:17:40 AM

38.gif

And I LOVED that they played the old Hockey Night in Canada theme song, although, again, you''d only understand it if you were Canadian.

Well, this almost Canadian certainly knew the Hockey Night in Canada song (miss it!) It''s funny, as it was playing I was thinking how familiar to me it was, but how strange the rest of America had probably never heard it before!

The closing ceremonies were uh, yeah kind of weak. We didn''t watch much after the athletes came in. They may not have showed this in Canada, but Ryan Miller was there and was absolutely beaming away. It was nice to see him happy and smiling
9.gif
That is so nice to hear. I missed seeing the Canadian mens hockey team at the closing ceremony and I thought the excuse they gave for their non attendance (quietly celebrating with family) was kind of weak. Mr G. said they were probably all on their way home because NHL starts up again tonight.

I have been out this morning, so I don''t know if they gave any interviews this morning or not.

I did read an interesting article about the agreement with the NHL to let players compete in the olympics has now expired. It seems it is not a done deal that NHL players will be at the next olympic games in 2014. Watch this space I guess.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2010 1:36:23 PM
Author: Gailey
I did read an interesting article about the agreement with the NHL to let players compete in the olympics has now expired. It seems it is not a done deal that NHL players will be at the next olympic games in 2014. Watch this space I guess.
That is indeed the case. However (I think I mentioned this here before) NHL agreed to let the players participate this time because they wanted to increase North American viewership of hockey, and that the Olympics might help build their American fan base. But the IOC is upset with that, and says you can''t pick and choose which Olympics you want to participate in. So if they turn down Sochi, they might be out for a good while.

For several years Canada never placed in Olympic hockey because of this. All good players would be part of the NHL. Which makes sense, NHL pays ridiculously well and you don''t wait 4 years for the next round. Having the NHL players participate in the Olympics results in a lot of lost revenue (not many viewers before Christmas, and Feb/March is right after the Super bowl).

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YOWZA! I hereby appoint you, Icekid, to the position of an honorary member of the Canadian family!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 1:49:44 PM

YOWZA! I hereby appoint you, Icekid, to the position of an honorary member of the Canadian family!
Seconded, without hesitation! Welcome aboard IceKid!
(I am a Canadian citizen, so my vote does count)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results