shape
carat
color
clarity

The New Girl

katiefofatey

Rough_Rock
Is me!

I just thought I'd come over and introduce myself. Clearly, my name is Katie. My partner and I have been together for 8 years and are planning on getting engaged sometime soonish, I've got my fingers crossed for my birthday in October, my grad from my Masters in November, Christmas or NYE - he's certainly got plenty of opportunities coming up!

We've done lots of ring shopping. Our main problem is that I am more alternative and fancy in my taste - my dream e-ring would be a white pear with a yellow diamond halo (scalloped edged) set in rose gold.

My partner's dream e-ring for me would be a brilliant cut solitaire.

So our compromise is to go traditional for the e-ring with a princess cut solitaire in yellow gold (or with a halo - the jury is out on who wins this round) and then I can go cray with the wedding and eternity (YAY!).

At the end of the day, I would say yes to a circle of string if it meant we would get married. But lucky for us, this won't be necessary!

I look forward to perving on all your bling (I have been for months now, though!) and getting to know you all. :)

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!! I vote you start showing him some stuff from Diamonds by Lauren. Sounds right up your alley!

katiefofatey

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Don't worry, I'm all over Diamonds by Lauren. But I'm trying desperately to stop looking at such amazingness. I need to get properly on board with the simplicity of the ring designs we've agreed upon. Not to say I can't be looking at the wedding bands though...

Particularly because the other day I piped up with "So I've been thinking, should I get my engagement ring in ROSE GOLD?" which was NOT happily met. Which made me go through the typical girly sillyness of "maybe he's already bought it, so when I say new things, he gets upset because he thinks I wont like what he's already bought" which of course leads to "MAYBE HE'LL PROPOSE REALLY SOON!".

I can see myself sinking into depression if I'm ticking off special occasions without a ring...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
yay, glad you joined us over here! as we all know, waiting is the hardest...which is why we have a lovely group of ladies to support each other! I hope you don't have to wait too long and can come to a good compromise on the ring!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! Sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Curious though...how is the compromise of a pear vs. a round a princess cut? Pears and rounds both have softer edges...princess isn't really like either of them? What about something like an elongated cushion? Gets the roundness he likes and the elongation you like?

I hope you guys find something you both can love!

katiefofatey

Rough_Rock
Oh, Audball, you raise a good question. It doesn't sound like a compromise. I guess its not, really. That might not be the right word for it.

During ring shopping, I was adamant that I did not want round brilliant. I don't know why, it just isn't for me. He doesn't like emerald cut - he has memories of his mum's emerald cut ring scratching him as a kid (yet cushion is too round in his opinion?). I don't like asscher for me, it's too angular. He doesn't like marquise, I don't like heart... it goes on.

He convinced me to try a princess cut solitaire - we both loved the cut on my finger immediately.

So not so much compromise as "group decision". I'll get a pear one day. When he gets a fancy car I'll get a pear.

I can't wait to have it and to show everyone!

And yes, waiting is awful. Particularly as ALL of my friends are married with kids but WE have been together the longest. My one unmarried friend came ring scouting with me once and tried a ring on herself and took her boyfriend to look at it the other day. And another newly.engaged friend sent me fourteen pics of her ering the other day. Getting very green eyed!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: helllooooo! welcome! lol, I had the same Q as audball when I was reading your intro. :cheeky:

Wow, your friend sent you 14 photos of her e-ring?! That's.. a bit overkill, no? :roll eyes:
When you get yours, make sure to send her 41. ;))

Congrats on graduating. I started a "school talk" thread.. post about yours! There are a few of us that are also counting down until we can throw our caps in the air. I hope you get your ring on one of these events!!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome Katie! Your taste sounds exquisite! While I am all about compromise, it will be YOU wearing the ring forever and ever... just saying. :naughty:

Anyway! I too am dealing with some green eyes over here (see my post from today :tongue:).

I hope your stay here is short and you get exactly the ring you have been dreaming of!

audball

Ideal_Rock
antiquesparkler|1348502057|3273695 said:
Welcome Katie! Your taste sounds exquisite! While I am all about compromise, it will be YOU wearing the ring forever and ever... just saying. :naughty:

Anyway! I too am dealing with some green eyes over here (see my post from today :tongue:).

I hope your stay here is short and you get exactly the ring you have been dreaming of!
This tends to be my feeling. I'm 100% on board with not wanting the guy to hate it, but I tend to think you should get more of a vote since it's something that you will wear daily.

But the important thing is that you are both comfortable with the choice of a princess. I find it kind of funny though that he ruled out emerald cuts from memories of being cut by his mother's ring, but is okay with a princess that has even sharper corners than emeralds (that usually have clipped corners?).

katiefofatey

Rough_Rock
I want to find something we BOTH love! And I'm sure we will! Teamwork! lol.

and Madelise, you can bet I will send her 41 photos of my ring too! I get it, she was excited. And to be fair, she had just picked up the wedder and eternity bands, which were all gorgeous and had a total of 82 diamonds in it. It was beautiful. But it is very hard to reply "ohhh it's so beautiful!" 14 times in different ways!

Thanks for your warm welcome all, it's nice to chat about these things with people who aren't just being good friends, but are actually interested lol!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you bet! We all love bling talk here!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Good! Just want to make sure you don't lose your wants in the compromising!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results