shape
carat
color
clarity

the most unhealthy junk food you ever ate?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Fried ice cream.
Vanilla ice cream surrounded by thin slices of pound cake, dipped in tempura batter or some other type of batter (depends on where you get it) and then in New Mexican restaurants it has honey and powdered sugar on it.

2. Monte Cristo Sandwich from Bennigans (do they exist anymore?)
Wheat bread, turkey, ham, American cheese, some kind of white cheese, completely coated in batter, deep fried, sprinkled with powdered sugar, side of raspberry preserves on the side to dip it in. With a side of fries. I used to wait tables there and people would order it with bacon inside, and mayo on the side. I ate it a couple of times (salty AND sweet!) but both times, I could only eat one half at a time.

ETA: website's description:
Monte Cristo
A Bennigan’s original. Sliced ham and turkey with Swiss and American cheeses on wheat bread then lightly fried and dusted with powdered sugar. Served with red raspberry preserves.

Looks like they are trying to rebrand a bit after the bankruptcy: http://bennigans.com/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="qtiekiki|1348178064|

Have you ever have mochi ice cream? It's more or less like that, the icy mooncake.[/quote]

sounds yummy.. :lickout:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1348178064|3271883 said:
canuk-gal|1348177237|3271877 said:
qtiekiki|1348175303|3271862 said:
These are ho-ho's

They do appear like ding dongs--except for the shape. I would eat them but peel that "icing" (aka brown sweet waxy substance) off and just eat the inside.

No offence but those moon cake thingies look gross. Maybe I should try one before I pass "judgement"--but they are no hell for looks! :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

Yeah same stuff as ding dong. I like ho-ho's more because the cream and cake more evenly distributed. I don't like the cream all in the center because I think it's too sweet.

Have you ever have mochi ice cream? It's more or less like that, the icy mooncake.

EVERY single week. Mango flavor :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1348185797|3271945 said:
1. Fried ice cream.
Vanilla ice cream surrounded by thin slices of pound cake, dipped in tempura batter or some other type of batter (depends on where you get it) and then in New Mexican restaurants it has honey and powdered sugar on it.

Wheat bread, turkey, ham, American cheese, some kind of white cheese, completely coated in batter, deep fried, sprinkled with powdered sugar, side of raspberry preserves on the side to dip it in. With a side of fries. I used to wait tables there and people would order it with bacon inside, and mayo on the side. I ate it a couple of times (salty AND sweet!) but both times, I could only eat one half at a time.

Monte Cristo
A Bennigan’s original. Sliced ham and turkey with Swiss and American cheeses on wheat bread then lightly fried and dusted with powdered sugar. Served with red raspberry preserves.

Looks like they are trying to rebrand a bit after the bankruptcy: http://bennigans.com/

Fried ice cream is called Tempura Ice Cream in a lot of the Japanese restaurants here! I love how hard and freezing the ice cream is! Mmmm. I always get green tea :)

I think the worst junk food I've ever heard of are those heart-attack-burger things. Or those 5 foot subs. All those news headline making foods. LOL, look at this place, their burgers are called single, double, etc BYPASS burgers! And their milkshakes are described to have the world's highest butterfat content! http://www.heartattackgrill.com/menu.html

Ewwww.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love mochi ice cream so I think I would enjoy the new icy mooncake too. YUM! Not that ice cream is that good for my body either. :lol: I've tried the durian mooncake and think it's good for something different from the traditional mooncake flavours. As for the yolk versus plain paste, I think the yolks impart some of that unhealthy goodness into the paste which is why the paste tastes better than the plain paste mooncake. Just seems a waste to pay $$$ for the yolk mooncake to only toss them out. :bigsmile:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1348185797|3271945 said:
1. Fried ice cream.

Monte Cristo

I LOOOOOVE Bennigan's Monte Cristos. Everytime I order them anywhere else I'm disappointed because they're not DEEP FRIED and pan-fried is not fried.

I also love deep fried french toast sticks from Burger King. I was so disappointed when I learned all french toast wasn't deep fried...

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
After reading all the posts on mooncakes, I'm very tempted to try one...I have to ask....what does a mooncake TASTE like exactly? I've had Daifuku before, and mango mochi ice cream :lickout: (best ice cream ever), so I have an idea of what azuki bean paste tastes like...but I've never had lotus seed paste. I'm especially curious about the salted duck egg yolk!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1348033473|3270705 said:
Sept 30 is Mid-Autumn Festival. i love Chinese mooncakes :lickout: = instant heart attack... ::) ..i don't wanna know how many calories per cake.i usually eat 1/2 a cake each time. :nono:

http://www.lotsofcravings.com/2010/08/wing-wah-mooncakes-imported-from-hong.html

Holy cow! Ask and you shall recieve... I checked my mailbox at work today and my Chinese customer sent me a box of assorted mini mooncakes from Kee Wah bakery! I was going to try and go there last weekend, but I didn't have the chance, and next weekend there are massive road closures, so I didn't think I would get the chance to go before mid-Autumn festival.

Now I just need to find someone to help me eat them! There are 3 lotus seed paste, 2 small w/one yolk, one larger with 2 yolks, 2 mixed nuts with ham and 1 yolk, 2 with pineapple and 1 yolk and 2 with date paste and 1 yolk. They are really beautiful and came in a lovely copper-colored gift box.

DF--should I give them a gift in exchange? I usually bring cookies or a cake when I visit their office. What is the custom in this situation? I don't want to be rude...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1348681768|3274996 said:
Dancing Fire|1348033473|3270705 said:
Sept 30 is Mid-Autumn Festival. i love Chinese mooncakes :lickout: = instant heart attack... ::) ..i don't wanna know how many calories per cake.i usually eat 1/2 a cake each time. :nono:

http://www.lotsofcravings.com/2010/08/wing-wah-mooncakes-imported-from-hong.html

Holy cow! Ask and you shall recieve... I checked my mailbox at work today and my Chinese customer sent me a box of assorted mini mooncakes from Kee Wah bakery! I was going to try and go there last weekend, but I didn't have the chance, and next weekend there are massive road closures, so I didn't think I would get the chance to go before mid-Autumn festival.

Now I just need to find someone to help me eat them! There are 3 lotus seed paste, 2 small w/one yolk, one larger with 2 yolks, 2 mixed nuts with ham and 1 yolk, 2 with pineapple and 1 yolk and 2 with date paste and 1 yolk. They are really beautiful and came in a lovely copper-colored gift box.

DF--should I give them a gift in exchange? I usually bring cookies or a cake when I visit their office. What is the custom in this situation? I don't want to be rude...
that's fine.. :)) don't look up the calories on them mooncakes :read: :knockout: just close your eyes and eat it!! and then call 911.. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just started reading this thread and already regional differences are showing up! I have no idea what a Chinese mooncake tastes like, although I have had most American Chinese food that can be had in my part of the US...especially anything very, very spicy. I also have no idea what cheese curds look or taste like or how they are prepared. When I think of cheese curds, I think of the curds in a container of cottage cheese, which-to me-was always associated with healthy eating and even dieting!

And I have only read about those foods and the deep fried Mars bar (which I have also never eaten, but can picture...almost) in this thread so far!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
radiantquest|1348178851|3271892 said:
Am I the only loser that still likes junk?

Fine, I admit. I love cake. Birthday Cake to be specific. Sometimes I order tiny ones from the grocery store just for myself! I love anything cheesy. Put cheddar on something and I will eat it. I will eat Nachos even if I am not hungry at all.

AND, I eat at McDonalds and love every stinking bite! I don't do it often, but I will visit the golden arches with a smile on my face while I order my Big Mac combo with Coke. Don't even get me started on Arbys. I don't know what that meat is since I have never seen roast beef behave like that. All I can come up with is that it is some sort heavenly meat sent to Earth just for me.

I don't eat this way everyday, but I am not a health nut either. I freaking like the crap food and I'm gonna eat it if I want. My good and bad cholesterol is where it should be and my blood pressure is awesome so bring on the fries!!!

I could have written this, my whole family knows what a freak I am about birthday cake, it has to be white cake with buttercream pastel flowers, nomnomnom. and arbys, can't go wrong there. 2 jr roast beef please. And because I am a minnesotan it is my civic duty to confess my love of deep fried cheese curds :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1348093898|3271243 said:
Worst junk food binge was when I was a teenager though. After school a friend and I decided to fry up a full pound of bacon and eat it with cola.

OK...now this I can relate to. My best friend and I recently told her 20-something son the a story from our past that I had forgotten until we relived it in retelling it. One day after high school she suggested that we try (I try, since she couldn't cook) to recreate a delicacy from her past. Her maid, "Lillian", (she told me) had made the most wonderful thing on earth: bread fried in bacon grease. I figured that all we would need to do to recreate this would be bread and bacon. So I fried some bacon and dipped bread in it. As far as I can recall, I made sure that the bread was thoroughly steeped in bacon grease. After all, one wouldn't want to do less than Lillian had!

We stuffed ourselves on this bread. I remember it tasting delicious. I do not recall f we also ate the bacon, but why wouldn't we have? Why cook bacon and not eat it?

Then we started to feel sick. But we couldn't vomit. We just felt nauseated beyond anything we had ever experienced in life thus far. We couldn't move or talk. We felt like dying. I kept asking her how Lillian could ever have made anything like this and she kept saying that Lillian must have made it differently. Suffice it to say that Lillian was a better cook than I was as a teenager.... No one had ever gotten sick on her bread fried in bacon fat. And also that I never again tried to fry bread in bacon grease.

AGBF
:saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results