shape
carat
color
clarity

the first 3 thing i do as President....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would kill the NASA program. talk about wasting taxpayers money.
29.gif

drill for more oil

no more new taxes

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Repair our relationship with our allies

do something, anything to fix the education system in this country, preferably so school funding isn''t based on local property taxes

Revert back to pre 1956 when in god we trust wasn''t all over the money and the pledge, etc so this really is the nation the constitution intended

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 7:53:14 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
Which allies are those, and why is it among the top three things which need to be done?

do something, anything to fix the education system in this country, preferably so school funding isn't based on local property taxes
The educational system needs help, but the Federal Government is ill suited to do it. As far as property taxes go, don't the people of a given location have the right to tax themselves however they see fit to fund their schools as they see fit? The other choice to non-local funding is for everyone to vote down all the local taxes and send their kids to private schools.

Revert back to pre 1956 when in god we trust wasn't all over the money and the pledge, etc so this really is the nation the constitution intended

While I agree that "in god we trust" is not important to have on our currency, I don't see it as a big deal one way or the other. I suppose it offends a few athiests, but who cares? Our success doesn't hinge on the motto on the currency. Don't we have bigger fish to fry?

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
What a great question! There is soooo much to do!

I would love to change the healthcare system, our dependency on oil and do something in regards to higher education. I also feel that these "riders" on bills have got to go away. I understand why they are placed on bills but to sneak them in documents and have them approved because the original bill is approved is horrid. So much "pork" is in those riders it''s ridiculous and I feel that if the dollar amount is above a certain limit then it needs it''s own approval. There are alot of bills that haven''t been passed that are good but because the riders on them are stupid/expensive/wasteful the bill was shut down.

Healthcare is a disaster period. I don''t even know where to begin with that one- especially in the mental health world.
Dependency on oil is a disaster and protecting the "oil countries" in protecting our need for oil is another disaster. I still feel that we have the technology for other ways of transportation and energy- high speed train, superconduction etc.
Higher education is just a must and should be affordable for all. I''m a single mom of 4 boys. I work and made 50k last year. My son who is off to pharmacy school in the Fall received 500.00 in federal financial aid because I made too much money
33.gif
and he was not eligible for scholarships. His GPA was 3.4 and still nothing. BTW, I''m in college also working on my master''s degree- FAFSA did not care that a parent was in college. It only counts if the children are in college so we received no credit on either of our FAFSAs.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 2:26:36 PM
Author: Rank Amateur

Which allies are those, and why is it among the top three things which need to be done?

do something, anything to fix the education system in this country, preferably so school funding isn''t based on local property taxes
The educational system needs help, but the Federal Government is ill suited to do it. As far as property taxes go, don''t the people of a given location have the right to tax themselves however they see fit to fund their schools as they see fit? The other choice to non-local funding is for everyone to vote down all the local taxes and send their kids to private schools.

Revert back to pre 1956 when in god we trust wasn''t all over the money and the pledge, etc so this really is the nation the constitution intended
While I agree that ''in god we trust'' is not important to have on our currency, I don''t see it as a big deal one way or the other. I suppose it offends a few athiests, but who cares? Our success doesn''t hinge on the motto on the currency. Don''t we have bigger fish to fry?
I think our allies are critical. In the next 20 years, America is going to lose its place as the top economic power in the world to China and possibly Europe. We need outside food, oil and technology to survive and without the eonomic clout, we need friends to get it. Frankly, when the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar, we need to start playing nice because it is only going to get worse.

As for schools, the property tax system is one of the most solid ways of protecting the status quo. Areas with good schools give the parents artificially high property values due to the disctricting and gives their children access to a better education, which equals more money. The opposite happens in poor areas, so it makes the rich richer and the poor poorer into the next generation.

As for the in god we trust, I think symbolically, it is extremely important. It does say, not only to athiests, but to Buddhists, Hindus, Shintos, Orthodox Jews (they believe the god should only be written in holy contexts), new age religions, some religious christians (I have known some who feel having god written on money is debasing to him), etc that this is their country. I think when dealing with other countries like Islamic ones that it signals to them that we are not just christians trying to convert them. It also means the government may at least try to be run by common sense, unlike the current administration. I read some things Bush said that made it clear he felt god told him he was right in what he was doing; it makes it pretty hard to tell him he is wrong. Symbols like this do matter, even if they have no practical signifigance. Mississippi was the last state to ratify the 13th amendment in 1993. It didn''t mean slavery was still practiced, but it did say a lot to the blacks in the community about where they stood.

Since you are so against mine, what are yours?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Bravo Brazen!
36.gif

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 2:54:29 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
29.gif

Out of a $2.4 trillion budget, less than 0.8% is spent on the entire space program. That''s less than 1 penny for every dollar spent. The average American spends more of their budget on their cable bill, eating out or entertainment than this yet the benefits of space flight are remarkable. It has been conservatively estimated by U.S. space experts that for every dollar the U.S. spends on R and D in the space program, it receives $7 back in the form of corporate and personal income taxes from increased jobs and economic growth. Besides the obvious jobs created in the aerospace industry, thousands more are created by many other companies applying NASA technology in nonspace related areas that affect us daily. One cannot even begin to place a dollar value on the lives saved and improved lifestyles of the less fortunate. Space technology benefits everyone and a rising technological tide does raise all boats.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 5:02:36 PM
Author: Ninama

29.gif

Out of a $2.4 trillion budget, less than 0.8% is spent on the entire space program. That''s less than 1 penny for every dollar spent. The average American spends more of their budget on their cable bill, eating out or entertainment than this yet the benefits of space flight are remarkable. It has been conservatively estimated by U.S. space experts that for every dollar the U.S. spends on R and D in the space program, it receives $7 back in the form of corporate and personal income taxes from increased jobs and economic growth. Besides the obvious jobs created in the aerospace industry, thousands more are created by many other companies applying NASA technology in nonspace related areas that affect us daily. One cannot even begin to place a dollar value on the lives saved and improved lifestyles of the less fortunate. Space technology benefits everyone and a rising technological tide does raise all boats.
Darn tooting. I
30.gif
my memory foam mattress
2.gif

I''d spend less $$ in other countries until there were NO children going to bed hungry in the US.

Health care for all.

Mandatory proficiency tests for teachers and students. No passing kids along to the next grade. If that means we end up with a bunch of 18 year olds without degrees, then tough. I''m sick to death of graduates who cannot spell, and cannot read worth a darn. Teachers fight like heck against skills testing to keep their jobs. I don''t get it. If you can''t pass the test as a teacher, then why the heck should I continue to pay you to teach?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:19:32 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 7/21/2008 5:02:36 PM
Author: Ninama

29.gif

Darn tooting. I
30.gif
my memory foam mattress
2.gif

I''d spend less $$ in other countries until there were NO children going to bed hungry in the US.

Health care for all.

Mandatory proficiency tests for teachers and students. No passing kids along to the next grade. If that means we end up with a bunch of 18 year olds without degrees, then tough. I''m sick to death of graduates who cannot spell, and cannot read worth a darn. Teachers fight like heck against skills testing to keep their jobs. I don''t get it. If you can''t pass the test as a teacher, then why the heck should I continue to pay you to teach?

Ahahahaha, and that sums that up!! I love mine too!!
35.gif

Other than that though, I don''t know how the space program benefits the masses. Aside from trying to find another place that we can inhabit when humans destroy the eco-system on Earth, it still seems like a lot of money to keep up with the "Joneses" or "Cosmonauts" or whatever.

Scientifically, it does give us a good picture of earth and whatever part of the universe we can find.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html

"Below is a "small" sampling of the many other ways that space technology has improved our lives and benefited mankind. It is truly a remarkable list and not nearly complete but I believe you will begin to appreciate the answers to "Why do we go in space" and "What does the space program do for me?" So the next time you hear these questions being asked, you will be able to explain it."

Computer Technology - NASA Spinoffs

GROUND PROCESSING SCHEDULING SYSTEM - Computer-based scheduling system that uses artificial intelligence to manage thousands of overlapping activities involved in launch preparations of NASA''s Space Shuttles. The NASA technology was licensed to a new company which developed commercial applications that provide real-time planning and optimization of manufacturing operations, integrated supply chains, and customer orders.uu

SEMICONDUCTOR CUBING - NASA initiative led to the Memory Short Stack, a three-dimensional semiconductor package in which dozens of integrated circuits are stacked one atop another to form a cube, offering faster computer processing speeds, higher levels of integration, lower power requirements than conventional chip sets, and dramatic reduction in the size and weight of memory-intensive systems, such as medical imaging devices.

STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS - This NASA program, originally created for spacecraft design, has been employed in a broad array of non-aerospace applications, such as the automobile industry, manufacture of machine tools, and hardware designs.

WINDOWS VISUAL NEWS READER (Win Vn) - Software program developed to support payload technical documentation at Kennedy Space Center, allowing the exchange of technical information among a large group of users. WinVn is an enabling technology product that provides countless people with Internet access otherwise beyond their grasp, and it was optimized for organizations that have direct Internet access.

AIR QUALITY MONITOR - Utilizing a NASA-developed, advanced analytical technique software package, an air quality monitor system was created, capable of separating the various gases in bulk smokestack exhaust streams and determining the amount of individual gases present within the stream for compliance with smokestack emission standards.

VIRTUAL REALITY - NASA-developed research allows a user, with assistance from advanced technology devices, to figuratively project oneself into a computer-generated environment, matching the user''s head motion, and, when coupled with a stereo viewing device and appropriate software, creates a telepresence experience.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Advanced keyboards, Customer Service Software, Database Management System, Laser Surveying, Aircraft controls, Lightweight Compact Disc, Expert System Software, Microcomputers, and Design Graphics.

Consumer/Home/Recreation - NASA Spinoffs

ENRICHED BABY FOOD - A microalgae-based, vegetable-like oil called Formulaid developed from NASA-sponsored research on long duration space travel, contains two essential fatty acids found in human milk but not in most baby formulas, believed to be important for infants'' mental and visual development.

WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM - NASA-developed municipal-size water treatment system for developing nations, called the Regenerable Biocide Delivery Unit, uses iodine rather than chlorine to kill bacteria.

SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES - A modified version of a dual ion beam bonding process developed by NASA involves coating the lenses with a film of diamond-like carbon that not only provides scratch resistance, but also decreases surface friction, reducing water spots.

POOL PURIFICATION - Space technology designed to sterilize water on long-duration spacecraft applied to swimming pool purification led to a system that uses two silver-copper alloy electrodes that generate silver and copper ions when an electric current passes through them to kill bacteria and algae without chemicals.

RIBBED SWIMSUIT - NASA-developed riblets applied to competition swimsuits resulted in flume testing of 10 to 15 percent faster speeds than any other world class swim-suit due to the small, barely visible grooves that reduce friction and aerodynamic drag by modifying the turbulent airflow next to the skin.

GOLF BALL AERODYNAMICS - A recently designed golf ball, which has 500 dimples arranged in a pattern of 60 spherical triangles, employs NASA aerodynamics technology to create a more symmetrical ball surface, sustaining initial velocity longer and producing a more stable ball flight for better accuracy and distance.

PORTABLE COOLERS/WARMERS - Based on a NASA-inspired space cooling system employing thermoelectric technology, the portable cooler/warmer plugs into the cigarette lighters of autos, recreational vehicles, boats, or motel outlets. Utilizes one or two miniaturized modules delivering the cooling power of a 10-pound block of ice and the heating power of up to 125 degrees Fahrenheit.

SPORTS TRAINING - Space-developed cardio-muscular conditioner helps athletes increase muscular strength and cardiovascular fitness through kinetic exercise.

ATHLETIC SHOES - Moon Boot material encapsulated in running shoe midsoles improve shock absorption and provides superior stability and motion control.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Dustbuster, shock-absorbing helmets, home security systems, smoke detectors, flat panel televisions, high-density batteries, trash compactors, food packaging and freeze-dried technology, cool sportswear, sports bras, hair styling appliances, fogless ski goggles, self-adjusting sunglasses, composite golf clubs, hang gliders, art preservation, and quartz crystal timing equipment.

Environmental and Resource Management - NASA Spinoffs

MICROSPHERES - The first commercial products manufactured in orbit are tiny microspheres whose precise dimensions permit their use as reference standards for extremely accurate calibration of instruments in research and industrial laboratories. They are sold for applications in environmental control, medical research, and manufacturing.

SOLAR ENERGY - NASA-pioneered photovoltaic power system for spacecraft applications was applied to programs to expand terrestrial applications as a viable alternative energy source in areas where no conventional power source exists.

WEATHER FORECASTING AID - Space Shuttle environmental control technology led to the development of the Barorator which continuously measures the atmospheric pressure and calculates the instantaneous rate of change.

FOREST MANAGEMENT - A NASA-initiated satellite scanning system monitors and maps forestation by detecting radiation reflected and emitted from trees.

SENSORS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL - NASA development of an instrument for use in space life support research led to commercial development of a system to monitor an industrial process stream to assure that the effluent water''s pH level is in compliance with environmental regulations.

WIND MONITOR - Development of Jimsphere wind measurement balloon for space launches allows for making high resolution measurements of the wind profile for meteorological studies and predictions.

TELEMETRY SYSTEMS - A spinoff company formed to commercialize NASA high-data-rate telemetry technology, manufactures a high-speed processing system for commercial communications applications.

PLANT RESEARCH - NASA research on future moon and Mars bases is investigating using plants for food, oxygen, and water to reduce the need for outside supplies. This research utilizes Hydroponics (liquid nutrient solutions) instead of soil to support plant growth and finds applications for vegetable production on Earth.

FIRE RESISTANT MATERIAL - Materials include chemically-treated fabric for sheets, uniforms for hazardous material handlers, crew''s clothing, furniture, interior walls of submersibles and auto racer and refueler suits.

RADIATION INSULATION - Aluminized polymer film is highly effective radiation barrier for both manned and unmanned spacecraft. Variations of this space-devised material are also used as an energy conservation technique for homes and offices. The materials are placed between wall studs and exterior facing before siding or between roof support and roof sheathing. The radiant barrier blocks 95% of radiant energy. Successful retrofit installations include schools and shrink wrap ovens.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Whale identification method, environmental analysis, noise abatement, pollution measuring devices, pollution control devices, smokestack monitor, radioactive leak detector, earthquake prediction system, sewage treatment, energy saving air conditioning, and air purification.

Health and Medicine - NASA Spinoffs

DIGITAL IMAGING BREAST BIOPSY SYSTEM - The LORAD Stereo Guide Breast Biopsy system incorporates advanced Charge Coupled Devices (CCDs) as part of a digital camera system. The resulting device images breast tissue more clearly and efficiently. Known as stereotactic large-core needle biopsy, this nonsurgical system developed with Space Telescope Technology is less traumatic and greatly reduces the pain, scarring, radiation exposure, time, and money associated with surgical biopsies.

BREAST CANCER DETECTION - A solar cell sensor is positioned directly beneath x-ray film, and determines exactly when film has received sufficient radiation and has been exposed to optimum density. Associated electronic equipment then sends a signal to cut off the x-ray source. Reduction of mammography x-ray exposure reduces radiation hazard and doubles the number of patient exams per machine.

LASER ANGIOPLASTY - Laser angioplasty with a "cool" type of laser, caller an excimer laser, does not damage blood vessel walls and offers precise non-surgical cleanings of clogged arteries with extraordinary precision and fewer complications than in balloon angioplasty.

ULTRASOUND SKIN DAMAGE ASSESSMENT - Advanced instrument using NASA ultrasound technology enables immediate assessment of burn damage depth, improving patient treatment, and may save lives in serious burn cases.

HUMAN TISSUE STIMULATOR - Employing NASA satellite technology, the device is implanted in the body to help patient control chronic pain and involuntary motion disorders through electrical stimulation of targeted nerve centers or particular areas of the brain.

COOL SUIT - Custom-made suit derived from space suits circulates coolant through tubes to lower patient''s body/ temperature, producing dramatic improvement of symptoms of multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, spina bifida and other conditions.

PROGRAMMABLE PACEMAKER - Incorporating multiple NASA technologies, the system consists of the implant and a physician''s computer console containing the programming and a data printer. Communicates through wireless telemetry signals.

OCULAR SCREENING - NASA image processing techniques are used to detect eye problems in very young children. An electronic flash from a 35-millimeter camera sends light into the child''s eyes, and a photorefractor analyzes the retinal reflexes, producing an image of each eye.

AUTOMATED URINALYSIS - NASA fluid dynamics studies helped development of system that automatically extracts and transfers sediment from urine sample to an analyzer microscope, replacing the manual centrifuge method.

MEDICAL GAS ANALYZER - Astronaut-monitoring technology used to develop system to monitor operating rooms for analysis of anesthetic gasses and measurement of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen concentrations to assure proper breathing environment for surgery patients.

VOICE-CONTROLLED WHEELCHAIR - NASA teleoperator and robot technology used to develop chair and manipulator that respond to 35 one-word voice commands utilizing a minicomputer to help patient perform daily tasks, like picking up packages, opening doors, and turning on appliances.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Arteriosclerosis detection, ultrasound scanners, automatic insulin pump, portable x-ray device, invisible braces, dental arch wire, palate surgery technology, clean room apparel, implantable heart aid, MRI, bone analyzer, and cataract surgery tools.

Industrial Productivity/Manufacturing Technology - NASA Spinoffs

MAGNETIC LIQUIDS - Based on the NASA-developed ferrofluid concept involving synthetic fluids that can be positioned and controlled by magnetic force, the ferrofluidic seal was initially applied in a zero-leakage, nonwearing seal for the rotating shaft of a system used to make semiconductor chips, solving a persistent problem‹contamination due to leaking seals.

WELDING SENSOR SYSTEM - Laser-based automated welder for industrial use incorporates a laser sensor system originally designed for Space Shuttle External Tank to track the seam where two pieces of metal are to be joined, measures gaps and minute misfits, and automatically corrects the welding torch distance and height.

MICROLASERS - Based on a concept for optical communications over interplanetary distances, microlasers were developed for the commercial market to transmit communication signals and to drill, cut, or melt materials.

MAGNETIC BEARING SYSTEM - Bearings developed from Space Shuttle designs support moving machinery without physical contact, permitting motion without friction or wear, and are now used in electric power generation, petroleum refining, machine tool operation, and natural gas pipelines.

ENGINE LUBRICANT - A NASA-developed plasma-sprayed coating is used to coat valves in a new, ten-inch-long, four-cylinder rotary engine, eliminating the need for lubricating the rotorcam, which has no crankshaft, flywheel, distributor, or water pump.

INTERACTIVE COMPUTER TRAINING - Known as Interactive Multimedia Training (IMT), originally developed to train astronauts and space operations personnel, now utilized by the commercial sector to train new employees and upgrade worker skills, using a computer system that engages all the senses, including text, video, animation, voice, sounds, and music.

HIGH-PRESSURE WATERSTRIPPING - Technology developed for preparing Space Shuttle solid rocket boosters first evolved into the U.S. Air Force''s Large Aircraft Robotic Paint Stripping (LARPS) system, and now used in the commercial airline industry, where the waterjet processing reduces coating removal time by 90 percent, using only water at ultra-high pressures up to 55,000 psi.

ADVANCED WELDING TORCH - Based on the Variable Polarity Plasma Arc welding technology, a handheld torch originally developed for joining light alloys used in NASA''s External Tank, is now used by major appliance manufacturers for sheet metal welding.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Gasoline vapor recovery, self-locking fasteners, machine tool software, laser wire stripper, lubricant coating process, wireless communications, engine coatings, and engine design.

Public Safety - NASA Spinoffs

RADIATION HAZARD DETECTOR - NASA technology has made commercially available new, inexpensive, conveniently carried device for protection of people exposed to potentially dangerous levels of microwave radiation. Weighing only 4 ounces and about the size of a cigarette pack, it can be carried in a shirt pocket or clipped to a belt. Unit sounds an audible alarm when microwave radiation reaches a preset level.

EMERGENCY RESPONSE ROBOT - Remotely-operated robot reduces human injury levels by performing hazardous tasks that would otherwise be handled by humans.

PERSONAL ALARM SYSTEM - Pen-sized ultrasonic transmitter used by prison guards, teachers, the elderly, and disabled to call for help is based on space telemetry technology. Pen transmits a silent signal to receiver that will display the exact location of the emergency.

EMERGENCY RESCUE CUTTERS - Lightweight cutters for freeing accident victims from wreckage developed using NASA pyrotechnic technology.

FIREMAN''S AIR TANKS - Lighter-weight firefighter''s air tanks have been developed. New back-pack system weighs only 20 lbs. for 30 minute air supply, 13 lbs. less than conventional firefighting tanks. They are pressurized at 4,500 psia (twice current tanks). A warning device tells the fireman when he or she is running out of air.

PERSONAL STORM WARNING SYSTEM - Lightning detector gives 30-minute warning to golfers, boaters, homeowners, business owners, and private pilots.

SELF-RIGHTING LIFE RAFT - Developed for the Apollo program, fully inflates in 12 seconds and protects lives during extremely adverse weather conditions with self-righting and gravity compensation features.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Storm warning services (Doppler radar), firefighters'' radios, lead poison detection, fire detector, flame detector, corrosion protection coating, protective clothing, and robotic hands.

Transportation - NASA Spinoffs

STUDLESS WINTER TIRES - Viking Lander parachute shroud material is adapted and used to manufacture radial tires, increasing the tire material''s chainlike molecular structure to five times the strength of steel should increase tread life by 10,000 miles.

BETTER BRAKES - New, high-temperature composite space materials provide for better brake linings. Applications includes trucks, industrial equipment and passenger cars.

TOLLBOOTH PURIFICATION - A laminar airflow technique used in NASA clean rooms for contamination-free assembly of space equipment is used at tollbooths on bridges and turnpikes to decrease the toll collector''s inhalation of exhaust fumes.

WEIGHT SAVING TECHNOLOGY - NASA research on composite materials is used to achieve a 30-percent weight reduction in a twin-turbine helicopter, resulting in a substantial increase in aircraft performance.

IMPROVED AIRCRAFT ENGINE - Multiple NASA developed technological advancements resulted in a cleaner, quieter, more economical commercial aircraft engine known as the high bypass turbofan, featuring a 10-percent reduction in fuel consumption, lower noise levels, and emission reductions of oxides of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and unburned hydrocarbons.

ADVANCED LUBRICANTS - An environmental-friendly lubricant designed to support the Space Shuttle Mobile Launcher Platform led to the development of three commercial lubricants for railroad track maintenance, for electric power company corrosion prevention, and as a hydraulic fluid with an oxidation life of 10,000 hours.

ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM - The Flywheel Energy Storage system, derived from two NASA-sponsored energy storage studies, is a chemical-free, mechanical battery that harnesses the energy of a rapidly spinning wheel and stores it as electricity with 50 times the capacity of a lead-acid battery, very useful for electric vehicles.

NEW WING DESIGN FOR CORPORATE JETS - NASA-developed computer programs resulted in an advanced, lighter, more aerodynamically-efficient new wing for Gulfstream business aircraft.

AIDS TO SCHOOL BUS DESIGN - Manufacturer uses three separate NASA-developed technologies originally developed for aviation and space use in their design and testing of a new school bus chassis. These technologies are a structural analysis computer program infrared stress measurement system, and a ride quality meter system.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Safer bridges, emission testing, airline wheelchairs, electric car, auto design, methane-powered vehicles, windshear prediction, and aircraft design analysis.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
That is a fairly exhaustive list. It''s hard to imagine that they were responsible for all that ingenuity on only .08% of the budget.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) End the occupation of Iraq.

2) Pass a bill or bills to replace the regulation that was trashed when Glass-Steagall was repealed.

3) Stop encouraging the adoption of a permanant war mentality and the creation of a unitary executive.

I will refrain from threadjacking on the education issue. I''ve been guilty of it in the past, as anyone who frequents these threads knows. I am however, beginning to compile a list of all the many and varied things that the schools are allegedly responsible for, and that those lazy-ass teachers are supposed to shoehorn into the passive little tabla rasas that are the brains of everyone''s children. I''m still waiting for someone to define what the end product of 12 years of education should be, or what excactly constitutes an "education". I''ll let you know if it is ever revealed. So far no consensus seems forthcoming.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 2:26:36 PM
Author: Rank Amateur

do something, anything to fix the education system in this country, preferably so school funding isn't based on local property taxes
The educational system needs help, but the Federal Government is ill suited to do it. As far as property taxes go, don't the people of a given location have the right to tax themselves however they see fit to fund their schools as they see fit? The other choice to non-local funding is for everyone to vote down all the local taxes and send their kids to private schools.
I agree, while I think the education system DOES need help, education has always been an issue for STATE governments. State citizens are much better suited to recognize what changes need to be made and have a responsibility to voice their concerns in the democratic process and electing candidates who share their views on the issue. If the doors are opened for the Federal Government to forget about federalism and trampel on states's rights concerning education, the slope is slippery for other traditional state-held areas, i.e. non-capital crimes.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Ninama-

Thanks for coming to NASA''s defense! I was about to when I decided to scroll down and see what you had said. I totally agree that we NEED to keep NASA around. I personally would like to see more money go into the first A of NASA , aeronautics, rather than space, but the space side is where all the glamor is, so I can live with it.

As for what I would do:

I would get rid of the dollar and two dollar bills and go to one and two dollar coins so that we don''t have to print more money all the time. I don''t know if I''d get rid of the penny or not, but if it ever cost more than a penny to make a penny, I would probably stop it then.

I''m still on the fence about universal health care - more with regard to how it would actually work - but I like the idea of everyone having access to the medical care they need. I also don''t know how to pay for it, but that''s for another topic.

I would stop trying to police the world and would focus on improving the US. The world has the UN, and we can still be a part of that, but that doesn''t mean to have to be at war with someone all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results