shape
carat
color
clarity

The Evilness of Big Bix Stores

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Trust me, I will.

I just now noticed I typed Big bix instead of big box . . . .

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2007 8:33:28 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Trust me, I will.

I just now noticed I typed Big bix instead of big box . . . .
I''m glad you mentioned this, I thought I was the only one who didn''t know what bix meant.

However, now that you''ve cleared that up, Big Box holds absolutely no more meaning for me than Big Bix did.
lol.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ellen you weren''t alone...I kept thinking that Bix was some west coast term or something...I stared at it long enough to realize it was box. Convinced myself it was ok to post...once I put an O in the place of the I.
2.gif
§

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big Box typically refers to those large, freestanding, superstores, like WalMart, Target, Home Depot, etc. They''re big, usually square/rectangular, single story, hence the term "big box."

So there you go. And yes, I did google the term "big box," and lo and behold, wikipedia aided me with some descriptive terms to help explain, lol!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love target and costco. we were members of costco a few years ago but when when moved there wasn''t one close so we dropped it. a few months ago one opened up about 2 miles away and they built it right next to a brand new target. I think costco is totally worth it. I love getting salad mix there b/c it''s the same price as the small bags at the grocery store and you get enough to feed a party. I usually get milk and eggs too, along with the horizon choc. milk boxes for my daughter. I too cannot get out of there without spending at least $100 though. I''m actually giving my mom a membership as one of her christmas gifts. she''s been talking about joining forever and just never does. i think she will love it!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 11:31:23 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I love target and costco. we were members of costco a few years ago but when when moved there wasn''t one close so we dropped it. a few months ago one opened up about 2 miles away and they built it right next to a brand new target. I think costco is totally worth it. I love getting salad mix there b/c it''s the same price as the small bags at the grocery store and you get enough to feed a party. I usually get milk and eggs too, along with the horizon choc. milk boxes for my daughter. I too cannot get out of there without spending at least $100 though. I''m actually giving my mom a membership as one of her christmas gifts. she''s been talking about joining forever and just never does. i think she will love it!!!
Mrs.S, hubby nicknamed it the Hundred Dollar club because it is so rare if we leave that place spending under $100 bucks. heheee
I love all the books they sell for cheap; the paperbacks are like $5 and I bought a hardback that I can''t wait to go to paper for under $15. I love their ready to go meals and their chickens. I buy jeans there too! hehee

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 2:33:16 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
Ellen you weren''t alone...I kept thinking that Bix was some west coast term or something...I stared at it long enough to realize it was box. Convinced myself it was ok to post...once I put an O in the place of the I.
2.gif
§
I appreciate your honesty.
9.gif

Monarch, thanks for the definition!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I can spell, I promise!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Whew, I saw the title of this thread and I thought it was going to be about how big box stores can be dodgy and controversial, and I was feeling a little guilty for my utter adoration of Target.
10.gif
I spend entire lunch breaks there sometimes. Kohl''s is kind of starting to win me over too, but I''ll always have a soft spot for Target.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 2:03:52 PM
I can spell, I promise!
lol.gif

Me too, although sometimes you might wonder.
2.gif

chicagohills

Rough_Rock
ROFLMAO!!! I was in Costco and Target tonight. I returned two Christmas dresses at Costco and then dropped a little over $100 in Target.... I went in for a package baby socks.

If I can make it out of Target spending less than $30 I walk out with a cocky smile. Seriously.

Now about the really bad lighting/vibes in Wal-Mart... I go in fine and come out all pissed off. Anybody with me?

35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really need to go to Target today and after this thread I am scared. I *always* spend more than I intend to.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had to post these, since I got them at Tarjay. They were only like 6 or 7 bucks, and I have gotten MORE compliments on them. And the bells really jingle.
5.gif

xmasearring.JPG

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean about Target! Those endcaps w/ all the clearance stuff always get me! Some of their clothes are too cute as well!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2007 6:18:36 AM
Author: chicagohills
ROFLMAO!!! I was in Costco and Target tonight. I returned two Christmas dresses at Costco and then dropped a little over $100 in Target.... I went in for a package baby socks.

If I can make it out of Target spending less than $30 I walk out with a cocky smile. Seriously.

Now about the really bad lighting/vibes in Wal-Mart... I go in fine and come out all pissed off. Anybody with me?

35.gif
Just one of many reasons I haven''t set foot in a Wal-Mart for oh...4-5 years now. I could handle the super WM''s when I was in college and after where I lived, but since moving to the burbs of chicago the only ones around are seedy, run-down, and just plain icky. The parking lots are full of potholes, and it''s not worth the trouble and "bad vibes" just so I can save a few bucks. I only used to go to WalMart for random toiletries and good deals on milk or snacks...now I take advantage of CVS''s coupons and deals when things I use go on sale. The newer WalMarts in the far west burbs I''ve been to once or twice are much nicer because they''re so new...too bad they can''t update the ones in our area. Even the Target closest to us isn''t that fabulous, which is probably why I don''t find myself getting sucked into spending more than I intend to when I shop there. It''s not that it isn''t a nice Target, but it is starting to show some age and the smell of the food court permeates the entire store and i can''t stand that smell for some reason so I''m usually in and out after checking everything off my list and maybe buying one or two random things I didn''t really need in the first place.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2007 10:44:49 PM
Author: monarch64
Date: 12/15/2007 6:18:36 AM

Author: chicagohills

35.gif
Just one of many reasons I haven''t set foot in a Wal-Mart for oh...4-5 years now. I could handle the super WM''s when I was in college and after where I lived, but since moving to the burbs of chicago the only ones around are seedy, run-down, and just plain icky. The parking lots are full of potholes, and it''s not worth the trouble and ''bad vibes'' just so I can save a few bucks. I only used to go to WalMart for random toiletries and good deals on milk or snacks...now I take advantage of CVS''s coupons and deals when things I use go on sale. The newer WalMarts in the far west burbs I''ve been to once or twice are much nicer because they''re so new...too bad they can''t update the ones in our area. Even the Target closest to us isn''t that fabulous, which is probably why I don''t find myself getting sucked into spending more than I intend to when I shop there. It''s not that it isn''t a nice Target, but it is starting to show some age and the smell of the food court permeates the entire store and i can''t stand that smell for some reason so I''m usually in and out after checking everything off my list and maybe buying one or two random things I didn''t really need in the first place.

6.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

The Walmart lighting has always been a source of confusion for me. If there is a brand spankin new Walmart I''ll go...but then the next time I find myself there it appears that lights are burned out and never replaced and I just can''t stand it. My friends and family think I''m crazy
18.gif
whan I mention this!!!!! I''m so glad to see others who have observed the "light" thing
10.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Again today I thought of this thread. Darn Big ''Bix'' store cost me $441!!!!

I do despise Wal-Mart, too. It is so gross. The lights are bad. The products are bad. The folks that work there are unhelpful. YUCK. Wal-Mart makes me grumpy!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Yikes. Costco gets me every time - I think b/c the lines are so long, I wait to go until I want to get a ton of stuff and then voila! $100 or more spent. Once I asked the manager if they would consider an express checkout and they said no, the costco model is for people to come in and stock up, not to come for a gallon of milk or whatever.
I dont shop at target as much as I used to. For their clothes and household decor, I feel like it looks great at first but doesn''t hold up. Of course, I have this complaint about a lot of stuff lately! The one exception is a supercute skirt I got 3 seasons ago that still looks brand new. I have gotten more compliments on that one target skirt than probably anything else that I own!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2007 8:55:31 PM
Author: Miranda
I do despise Wal-Mart, too.
Well, even though I don't shop at Walmart, I don't entirely despise it. . .lol! For years, I've always done last minute holiday shopping at Target and it was a pain finding parking and unbearably dull standing in long lines, BUT, since a Walmart opened up about 2 miles away from the Target, all the rude, pushy customers have migrated over there and now all that's left are the nice and considerate loyal Target shoppers who make holiday shopping enjoyable.
9.gif

Last night I purchased loads of yummy stocking stuffer treats for my kids AND added in a trip to World Market - located next to Target - so the stockings are done unless I keep eating all the peppermint bark candy "Santa" is giving to my DH and will have to venture on over there again! It would make a lot more sense to purchase the candy on the 23rd or 24th, wouldn't it? Then I'd be less likely to eat it all!
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Well, Walgreens isn''t exactly *big box*, but they are becoming fairly ubiquitous! Went in there for hairspray (3.49) and came out with 79.08 worth of stuff last week! Nothing I didn''t need or wouldn''t be needing fairly soon, but . . dang! If I hadn''t needed hairspray, I''d be $80 richer!
6.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wal-mart Vs. Target... Target wins every time. We''re now finding reasons to "have" to go to Target. I think we went 3 times last week, just because. I also find myself buying more than I went in for. Those stores, they suck you in and once they have you, WHAM!
20.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
When I went home for Christmas, I mentioned that we didn''t have a Super Target in Philadelphia and my step mom thought I was lying. And then when I was like Wal-Mart closes, I think I almost started a riot. It was hilarious. Another thing that they have in Alabama (in Birmingham anyway) are the Neighborhood Markets, which is basically a Wal-Mart grocery store.

They were asking me where I got my groceries and when I said Whole Foods, I think they all disowned me in their heads.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2008 2:43:02 AM
When I went home for Christmas, I mentioned that we didn''t have a Super Target in Philadelphia and my step mom thought I was lying. And then when I was like Wal-Mart closes, I think I almost started a riot. It was hilarious. Another thing that they have in Alabama (in Birmingham anyway) are the Neighborhood Markets, which is basically a Wal-Mart grocery store.

They were asking me where I got my groceries and when I said Whole Foods, I think they all disowned me in their heads.
Oh honey, my family''s the same way. They don''t get at all the concept that WM''s and Target''s sometimes do close for the night, and they''ve never been to a WF or Trader Joe''s...bless their little pea pickin'' hearts. LOL! That''s ok, I forget what it''s like to just run out in my pj''s past the hour of 10 and it''s acceptable to run through the super store just for a carton of milk and some paper towels. I do sometimes miss living just north of Indy...and being able to shop that brand new Super Target any old time I pleased.
9.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2007 1:08:31 PM
Well, I suppose so. :) I don''t know if I''m the only one, but I''m particular about what I buy. I feel like I''m so odd because all of the years I spent living with my parents, I never cared about what kind of paper towels or trash bags we used. But now, I HAVE to have VIVA paper towels. One of my high school friends came to visit me and she was like,''Wow, these are like cloth.''

Anyway, another thing I love about Target is the baby stuff. I fell in love with this one particular stroller, but I''ll have to see if it comes in a double version. Nate''s sister has one of those ugly foreign made strollers and she was telling me that I just had to get one, but I don''t quite get it? I suppose it''s a New York thing.
Ha ha, I hear ya on the Viva paper towels -- they ARE like cloth! I''ve gotten compliments on them too, which cracks me up!

FWIW, we have the double Snap-and-Go for our twins and we have Graco Safe Seats for our car seats. We haven''t actually used the stroller yet so I can''t say for sure that the seats fit with it, but we were assured that they do and the twins forum I read says they do, so they better! I''ll let you know once we start using the stroller what we think of it, but I''ve heard only great things about them.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

9.gif
We don''t have Whole Foods where I live.
39.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2008 4:24:43 AM
Author: monarch64

Oh honey, my family''s the same way. They don''t get at all the concept that WM''s and Target''s sometimes do close for the night, and they''ve never been to a WF or Trader Joe''s...bless their little pea pickin'' hearts. LOL! That''s ok, I forget what it''s like to just run out in my pj''s past the hour of 10 and it''s acceptable to run through the super store just for a carton of milk and some paper towels. I do sometimes miss living just north of Indy...and being able to shop that brand new Super Target any old time I pleased.
9.gif

Most of my family didn''t realize that there is a Whole Foods in the Cahaba Village plaza. But I come from the turnip green, pinto bean, neck bone eating kind of family . . . It''s so sad.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2008 6:08:39 PM
Author: ellaila
Date: 12/10/2007 1:08:31 PM

Well, I suppose so. :) I don''t know if I''m the only one, but I''m particular about what I buy. I feel like I''m so odd because all of the years I spent living with my parents, I never cared about what kind of paper towels or trash bags we used. But now, I HAVE to have VIVA paper towels. One of my high school friends came to visit me and she was like,''Wow, these are like cloth.''

Anyway, another thing I love about Target is the baby stuff. I fell in love with this one particular stroller, but I''ll have to see if it comes in a double version. Nate''s sister has one of those ugly foreign made strollers and she was telling me that I just had to get one, but I don''t quite get it? I suppose it''s a New York thing.

Ha ha, I hear ya on the Viva paper towels -- they ARE like cloth! I''ve gotten compliments on them too, which cracks me up!

FWIW, we have the double Snap-and-Go for our twins and we have Graco Safe Seats for our car seats. We haven''t actually used the stroller yet so I can''t say for sure that the seats fit with it, but we were assured that they do and the twins forum I read says they do, so they better! I''ll let you know once we start using the stroller what we think of it, but I''ve heard only great things about them.

I''m seriously OCD. I have to have Viva paper towels and Fantastik Oxy Power on hand at ALL TIMES. In addition, I have to have my Windex, Dawn Plus, and Scotch Brite power sponges. And I remember Nate brought home Hefty bags instead of Glad bags, and I gave him so much grief. I don''t know why/how I because so particular. It''s kind of scary.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just had a blast reading this thread! I, too, am a Targetaholic. LOVE IT. Can''t get out of there without spending a buttload of cash, especially now with a baby. They have sooo much cute stuff, plus I buy all the Gerber food there too! And don''t get me started on Costco and BJs!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them both--again for baby stuff too. Costco sells the best wipes and they have the formula we use and BJs has my beloved Pampers!

I had never been to Walmart before last week when I was in Georgia. The baby had diaper rash and my cousins who live in GA sent us over to Walmart to pick up some butt paste. I was OVERWHELMED. It was huge and you guys are right about the lighting--it was soooo dark in there. The place was so huge that I would have loved to have someone point me in the right direction but when I went to ask two of the workers for help, they let me stand there while they finished their conversation and then they FINALLY acknowledged me.
29.gif

Penn, those Viva paper towels make great baby wipes if you don''t want to buy regular wipes--my pediatrician specifically mentioned that brand! Just put some water on them and you''ll be able to get those baby tushies spotless!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2007 12:42:05 PM
Author: Gypsy

But I HATE HATE HATE their return policy... since they''ve instituted it I''ve shopped there less and less. The problem isn''t if YOU buy the items with a CC or a check, they can track that and will let you return (as long as it''s within the 90 day window)... but if you get a gift, or if you can''t recall what card or account you''ve paid out of (and don''t have a receipt) they REALLY do treat you like a shoplifting criminal.
Way agree with this, and becuase of it, I''ve never been a fan of Target. Sadly, they opened one literally a quarter-mile from my house about two months ago. It''s open later than most other surrounding stores and typically has what I''d want, and yet I don''t shop with them because of their stupid policy.

I have a tough time hanging on to receipts, it seems.......and when I go to return something, they won''t give a merchandise credit without a flippin receipt. SO customer-unfriendly! They have a ton of cool stuff there, but I refuse to shop someplace that treats their customers like crap. ANY other sane store will allow a return for merchandise credit without a receipt.

OH....and on that note, I''ve stopped purchasing ANYTHING from Brookstone for the same reason. My SIL gave me one of those digital photo key chains, and it was defective. I brought it to Brookstone to exchange it for EXACTLY THE SAME THING....and they wouldn''t do it without a receipt, even when I identified it was a gift. I was all HELLO? It says friggin BROOKSTONE on it in 23 places and you won''t let me do an even exchange for the same friggin product?!!? FINE.....no more business for you.

I really DETEST consumer unfriendly practices; there are too many other places to spend my $$ that will treat me better.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Target as well. They just renovated and expanded the one we usually go to, and it''s pretty awesome now. Being a college student it''s rare for me to go in there and spend over $30, so I guess I should feel lucky. Having said that, I think that probably 60% of the stuff in my living room is from Target, including 2 bookcases, a shelving unit, assorted throw pillows, an ottoman, most of the decorative items like picture frames, and a table. Not to mention all of my Christmas stuff. It would take less time to list all of the stuff that we haven''t gotten from Target.

I hate hate HATE Wal-mart. With a vengeance. We have one that''s about 3 miles away from us and the closest Target is about 7 miles away, and we''ll drive that extra distance unless its an emergency and after 10 when Target is closed. The only time I can stand to go in there is after 1am, because thats when most of the customers are in bed. However the customers that are left all seem to bring their crying whining toddlers with them- EVEN IF IT''S 3AM. What is wrong with those people?! And the ones that park their carts in the middle of rows and then stand to the side of it, leaving about 6 inches of space to get past them. Another thing that really makes me mad is that the closest Wal-mart is of the Super Wal-mart variety and they have about 40 cash registers. Anytime I''ve been there, they''ve had, at most, 5 cashiers working, and MAYBE the self-checkout lanes open. We actually waited in line for 20 minutes once, and when we didn''t move up AT ALL, we left. I think we''ve only been back once since then-and it was for cold meds in the middle of the night.

My aunt''s sister works in a Wal-mart (our local one!) liquor department and she''s been held up with guns about 10 times. And she''s been working there for about 4.5 years.

Yeah, I avoid Wal-mart.

As for Cost-Co we live in a pretty tiny place and we don''t really have room for the bulk items, although we''ve thought about getting a membership.

We already planned that tomorrow we''re going to Target for some necessary items!! I''ll let you know if I spend over $30!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results