shape
carat
color
clarity

The Demon Dog jumped into the Chicago River!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband just came back from walking The Demon and called up to me. "Honnnnnney... you know how we always wondered what would happen if Dino jumped into the River... Well I just found out." I seriously thought he was kidding but the joke went on too long and then he asked me to bring a couple of towels down to the entry way.

Happy hubby (or not so HH as the case may be at the moment) took The Demon for his nightly jaunt in this dog run by the river in our townhouse complex. There was all the normal peeing and pooping and ball chasing. And then... there was this rabbit... (HH *says* it was a rabbit--I bet it was a RAT!!!) The Demon, of course, gave chase. The fence in the dog run is not very high in some places because the land slopes, and there are also a few holes where an industrious Demon could get through under the fence. The next thing HH knows: SPLASH!!!
6.gif

We always wondered if The Demon could swim and often joked that he gazed longingly at the river when we took him over there. Ha ha. Very frickin' funny now.

In addition to the fact that its DARK, there is a drop off of indeterminate height between where the land cuts off and the water starts, and all this wood poking up and other *stuff* at the end of the water. And there is a current. Oh yes, and the boats that come along almost constantly that would never have seen them...

But, out of crazy love for The Demon, HH jumped right in. He called out to some people on the bridge but they didn't hear him so HH swam across holding The Demon in a lifeguard grip because his collar had slipped off when HH was tring to get him. They got to the East Bank Club (a giant health club on the river) and HH as able to clamber them out.

Can you believe this??? I can't be made at HH for saving The Demon, but what if one or both of them had DROWNED???

Fortunately the river has just been upgraded from TOXIC to POLLUTED.

I am going upstairs right now and taking some aspirin and having a drink.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whoa! Glad they are both AOK--and I hope their immunizations are current!!!!
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 11:47:14 PM
Author:Dee*Jay
My husband just came back from walking The Demon and called up to me. ''Honnnnnney... you know how we always wondered what would happen if Dino jumped into the River... Well I just found out.'' I seriously thought he was kidding but the joke went on too long and then he asked me to bring a couple of towels down to the entry way.

Happy hubby (or not so HH as the case may be at the moment) took The Demon for his nightly jaunt in this dog run by the river in our townhouse complex. There was all the normal peeing and pooping and ball chasing. And then... there was this rabbit... (HH *says* it was a rabbit--I bet it was a RAT!!!) The Demon, of course, gave chase. The fence in the dog run is not very high in some places because the land slopes, and there are also a few holes where an industrious Demon could get through under the fence. The next thing HH knows: SPLASH!!!
6.gif

We always wondered if The Demon could swim and often joked that he gazed longingly at the river when we took him over there. Ha ha. Very frickin'' funny now.

In addition to the fact that its DARK, there is a drop off of indeterminate height between where the land cuts off and the water starts, and all this wood poking up and other *stuff* at the end of the water. And there is a current. Oh yes, and the boats that come along almost constantly that would never have seen them...

But, out of crazy love for The Demon, HH jumped right in. He called out to some people on the bridge but they didn''t hear him so HH swam across holding The Demon in a lifeguard grip because his collar had slipped off when HH was tring to get him. They got to the East Bank Club (a giant health club on the river) and HH as able to clamber them out.

Can you believe this??? I can''t be made at HH for saving The Demon, but what if one or both of them had DROWNED???

I am going upstairs right now and taking some aspirin and having a drink.
OMG I am speechless. I am so glad they are both ok. Phew. I know if it was one of my doggies I would do the same thing. Hope HH takes a long hot shower and puts DD ( Demon Dog) in there with him. How scary, and super scary with everything your hubby has gone through.
12.gif
You definitely deserve that drink. Was Demon even phased by this???

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just gave the Demon a bath and the whole time he was looking at us like, "What? What could I possibly have done to deserve this horribleness?" His belly is a bit scratched up from the wood and stuff and I didn''t want him licking his scratches like that so I hope the bath washed off whatever ickiness came out of the river with him. And I sincerely hope HH''s incisions are healed enough that he''s not going to end up with some weird kind of infection.

Jeesh.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DJ
WOW!! what an adventure.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, DF, *every day* is an adventure with The Demon...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow DJ what a harrowing evening...!!!
6.gif

this is kind of humorous to me as we just got in from our walk with portia where we had a cat spotting in the window of a nearby house which turned into shrieking and howling as portia tried to clamor up the townhouse wall to get to the cat in the 2nd story window...hehee. if she was able to climb the wall, she woulda! so it makes me laugh to think about the rabbit/rat because if portia saw a cat or a squirrel she'd do the same thing!!! crazy dogs! as i sit here she is running around the house now trying to figure out a way to 'get to' the cat in the other house. ahhaa.

anyway, i hope everyone is none the worse for the wear!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Good gawd!! What a life you live!!

I probably would have jumped in the infectious waters to save my dog too...and they call dogs loyal...sheesh!
20.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Apparently your husband was actually "Lassie" in this case....
2.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
WOW DeeJay!

I am so glad both HH and Devil Dog are doing okay...

I guess HH is really feeling better already from his surgery! I mean jumping into a river to save the doggie sounds healed to me!

But really, make sure those incisions are ABSOLUTELY surgically clean... LAST thing you need is an infected chest incision : (

Go give them both a hug... unless you don''t want to get contaminated!

Glad they''re both allright!!!

Aussiegirl : p

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Dee Jay! I hope neither of them sufferer any ill effects from that! I hope hubby is alright! I would have been terrified. Thank God they are okay!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Prolly not what you want to hear - but - your love for all things that is Demon Dog warms my heart.
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all must think we lead some crazy adventurous life. I swear we are the most normal people in the world--except for the events of the past few weeks.

On my way to work this morning I looked at the drop from the dog run into the river. It is EASILY 20 feet. I'm sure The Demon had no perception of distance or what he was doing, but HH must have. I still can't belive they did that last night...

Starset

Shiny_Rock
I can totally picture it. That''s quite a story. And what''s with the whole dying the Chicago River for St. Patty''s Day? It''s already green in it''s natural state!!!!

My dog ran into Lake Michigan right where the boats come in to refuel by around Montrose Beach. That little pool of water is so stagnant with fuel spillage. My dog of course couldn''t help but drink some of the water while running away from me. He was ill with an upset stomach (and bowels) for nearly a week.

I''m sending you good vibes that the DD can stomach just about anything and a little green water won''t hurt.
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starset - yuck! I think Montrose Beach water might be even worse than river water!

Not really sure how much water The Demon might have taken in (but the HH said he got a bit -- gag!!!) but Dino isn't puking or anything. (Yet.)

It just occured to me that now I have to get a replacement rabies tag and a city dog license tag. Standing in line at City Hall... my favorite thing to do. NOT!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh DJ, aside from knowing my Zoe can swim, if she did something like that i''m be terrified and jump in too. so, sweet for you hubby to go in after her
36.gif
even if the water was polluted
32.gif
. Do keep an eye on Deman dog, hopefully he didn''t swallow any of the water. My parents have a small pond behind their house with no fenced in yard. we were there for the 4th of July and Zoe came along. She never runs off so the lack of fence isn''t a big deal. Well the combination of all the family outside and the 95 degree temp. made that pond look mighty fine and b/f we knew it off she went and jumped right in. It''s not very deep but very dirty. She had the time of her life and I had oh so much fun cleaning her up
20.gif
. Silly doggie''s don''t ya just love them
9.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Oh my Lord!!!

That is...unbelievable. SO glad they are ok! Your husband has *sutures*?? Brave, brave man.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I think my husband's incisions are OK (they were in his groin and neck, not actually his chest) and it's been 20 days since the surgery.

But now someone in my office has me worried that The Demon might have broken ribs or internal bleeding if he entered the water in a "belly flop" position. (As opposed to what? A swan dive?) Damn, is nothing ever simple with this dog?!?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! LOL... sorry I am laughing my butt off....

I am glad that you HH and DD are okay. Personally, I would take him to the vet Just in Case... but that is just me.

I laugh cause I can only imagine what was going through DDs mind are he decided that this time he was going to get that rabbit/rat.

Hope everything turns out for the best and that they are both conitnuing to do fine.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have done the same thing so kudos to your Hubby for saving him. Hopefully DD will think twice before leaping into unknown waters next time....Glad that both of them are ok!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 11:47:14 PM
Author:Dee*Jay
What''s that saying...?? Thank heaven for small favors??
2.gif
LOL.

I think your hubby could use a stiff drink himself! Yikes.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I know sometimes we do these things impulsively without thinking.....

but you husband could have lost his life! You need to tell you husband that if the Demon does that again... theres no going in after him
38.gif

Being brave is no good when you're dead.

Blod

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I know!!! What if a barge had come by, or one of those party boats that zooms fast and has loud music playing. They would have never seen or heard him, or been able to stop even if they did.

I get sick to my stomach every time I think about this!!!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
DeeJay : )

Somehow I thought heart surgery & automatically thought chest incisions... silly me!!

Though the neck and groin areas are still important ones
31.gif

A quick trip to the vet might put you at ease about DevilDog... Who knows if his belly-flopping did some damage
23.gif

Okay, sending good vibes to your whole family!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I told Greg the story last nite and he goes ''well we''d jump in after Portia''...I was like OF COURSE....so HH is not alone in his madness. hehee.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
The FF just assured me that he too would jump into a river, no matter how polluted or dangerous, to rescue our babies, Blue-boy and Bailey...

so you and your DH are NOT Alone in your love for your canine buddy!!!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
ROTFL!!! Yikes!
What can you do but laugh! (Sorry for laughing.) (I have my own Demon Dog - so I sympathize.)
Great story DeeJay - hope everyone is okay! - and I hope life is a little less dramatic from here on out.
1.gif

Scintillating...

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I would''ve freaked!!!! Your hubby jumping in right after Demon is a testament of his love and devotion. Yay for him!!! I''m glad everyone is OK.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s terribly sweet of your HH to go in after DD. I am crazy about my dogs, so I know I would do that, but I love hearing about big tough men and their soft spots for fuzzy critters. On a more serious note, I am so glad your HH is doing well and that neither of them was hurt during their adventure.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad your HH and DD survived this harrowing adventure! If I were in their shoes, I doubt I would have jumped in because most dogs can swim and do tend to avoid danger, even if you don''t think they can. That whole "wild animal instinct" kicks in. Of course, I''m sure your HH was acting on instinct as well when he jumped in to save DD!

I don''t have dogs right now, but 2 years ago I lived in an apt. on the 8th floor with a balcony, and my cats were hanging out outside with me one day enjoying the sunshine when my Lucy jumped up on the railing. She''s a rather clumsy cat, always rolling off the couch accidentally, and the railing was about an inch and a half wide, 8 floors up. I panicked but didn''t say anything because I didn''t want to scare her. I just sort of held my breath. Apparently she was scared too because she quickly jumped back to the chair she''d been sitting on and never once attempted that feat again. To this day I still have no idea how she managed to land correctly on the railing, hold her balance, and jump down safely. When she jumps up the railing over the stairwell, which is about 6 inches wide, she sometimes falls.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results