shape
carat
color
clarity

the CUT dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubbahead

Rough_Rock
I know people put alot into numbers of a diamond but here is what i think. Without posting and real particulars about both rings, this is what the basics are.Both Gemscan

1) 1.08 Ideal, F, SI1

2) 1.23 Good, F, SI1

Same price for both of these. I am assuming the ''Cut'' is what makes up the difference why the price is the same but when i put them both together, to the naked eye, they both shine almost identical. To a trained eye maybe u can see the difference of shine, but i think to an ordinary person, you wouldnt be able to. So i am leaning toward the 1.23, i think the difference is shine between that and the 1.08, if any to me, doesn''t warrant getting the smaller ring cause of what the ''paper'' says. ANy thoughts would be appreciated.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Differences between good and excellent cut diamonds are subtle. Differences from commercial/fair cut to excellent cut are not so subtle and can be very noticeable. The price does tend to change with cut quality in a way that evens out the relative value. Then you choose based on the combination of compromises and quality that works for your own eyes and budget.

We might be able to discern which diamond of a group is the best overall or the best in a certain category, yet you might choose another overall as the one you prefer.... It happens all the time.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Well, having seen both a "good" cut diamond and an "ideal" cut diamond in person, personally I would take the ideal cut diamond anyday. I can definitely tell the difference, and not just in the lighting in jewelry stores. I have a 1.5ct good and a 1.04ct ideal.

However, many women (and men) want the bigger size. My cousin recently got engaged and she had the choice of a 3/4ct good cut or a 1/2ct ideal. She took the bigger stone and I think most people not on this forum would. I have shown people both my stones next to each other and they can tell the difference but for at least my circle of friends, most of them would pick the bigger stone anyway.

Sounds to me like you want to get the bigger stone, which is fine. I just personally would take the ideal one.
2.gif

bubbahead

Rough_Rock
Thanks a bunch!
Your answer made my thought-process easier and at calm when i make a decision

bubbahead

Rough_Rock
I guess if I can''t see much of a difference, and maybe the average person wouldnt'' either, then i just guess it goes on preference.
The Vendor asked me the same thing..''what is your preference''. Vendors wife personally would take the bigger ring considering the ''subtle'' difference in sparkle. But alot of women would take the bigger.
ahh...what to do..lol

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I currently have a GIA Good cut and it sparkles like the dickens. I get compliments on it all the time. Today, I''m going to look at two AGS0 ideal cut stones and it''ll be interesting to see how much "better" they are than my Good cut. I''ll report back later. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results