shape
carat
color
clarity

The crafty thread! Please post all your crafty/artsy creations here!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having thoughts y'all.
The top 2 are wool based, the bottom is not

20230903_001251.jpg
20230903_001153.jpg 20230920_201752.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so admire ALL the creativity here. I desperately want to be more creative as I've kinda let it wither. I have a beginner question for the seamstresses among us: If I want to start sewing again (used to make very basic patchwork quilts), what is a good quality starter machine? Nothing too complicated, just a good entry level machine that doesn't break the bank, or is that an impossibility? Thanks for any leads or links, and carry on with your gorgeous garments, quilts and placemats!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so admire ALL the creativity here. I desperately want to be more creative as I've kinda let it wither. I have a beginner question for the seamstresses among us: If I want to start sewing again (used to make very basic patchwork quilts), what is a good quality starter machine? Nothing too complicated, just a good entry level machine that doesn't break the bank, or is that an impossibility? Thanks for any leads or links, and carry on with your gorgeous garments, quilts and placemats!

I have a Brother Simplicity SB170. It's been fine for my needs. I think this model is discontinued, but Brother makes several other basic models for under $200.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like everything the prices of machines have also went up.

It really (sort of) comes down to the features that you want. You can get a cheap machine but many of them (well all of them if I'm honest) have a built in obsolescence. Basically they make them hard to actually fix.

That said there are still some machines pretty reliable on the cheaper end and even some that can be fixed without issue.

Most people tend to have great luck with Brother. Those cheaper machines tend to be 5mm machines (low shank) and are generally OK with most things (not 10oz denim or a stack of leather).

Personally you may do better getting a machine at a real sewing machine shop versus a big box store. A lot of that has to do with how much support you get after the sale. (and you can try out machines at a real shop versus someplace like walmart)

What they don't tell you about some of these machines; Its not like it used to be, and the actual manufacturer of the machines can sometimes change.

Singer, Viking and Pfaff is owned by a venture capital group (SVP Group) the machines are contract manufacturered If you have a Joanns near you, they have machines in there that you can try out (believe thats a Viking stand?) just know that its kinda a separate thing from Joanns completely. And yes Joanns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, is considered big box.

Brother makes their machines but also manufacturers BabyLock machines.

Janome owns, New Home, Necchi, Elna and manufacturers those machines. They have also made machines for pretty much everybody at one time or another.

Juki makes their own machines but also for just about anybody that asks. I believe they make the Bernette and Bernina overlockers, have made some Brother and BabyLock machines.

Bernina is still the only one thats privately owned however, they also own Bernette and Janome, brother,and even Juki has manufactured machines for them.

Most machines are Manufacturered in China or Taiwan. Bernina manufactuers their 800 series machines in Switzerland.

If you're not opposed to a vintage machine and you're handy with electrical stuff, you find nice ones at thrift stores for pretty reasonable prices.

I give you all this information so you can make the most informed decision possible.

Short answer is look at Brother first.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such beautiful vibrant colors @Arcadian ! I really like the lime green lining you put with that last option.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’d consider a used machine - specifically, visit a sewing machine / fabric store near you, if there is one, that also offers repairs. They could help you find a used machine that has the features you want, that’s been professionally cleaned and/or reconditioned, and they might be willing to throw in a “getting to know your machine” lesson or two.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i brought the next one up from the entry level janome
its more than 20 years old now and has made some quilts
no need to spend a fortune
just buy a good brand that is going to be able to be serviced for years to come
good luck

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so much talent on this thread.

I have a friend who was a great seamstress, she made some beautiful dresses, she would buy silks when they visited the far East. Sadly, she has dementia now, so her sewing days are over.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such beautiful vibrant colors @Arcadian ! I really like the lime green lining you put with that last option.

Thank you! plaids are always rather freaky because of the match but I'm always willing to give it a go!:mrgreen:

@Austina, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another long time unfinished project is done, and in its new home!

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9386.jpeg

IMG_9400.jpeg

I started this quilt in the 1980s – yes, 30 to 40 years ago! It was started as a quilt for my parents. I’ll spare you the excuses, but it did not get done in time to grace their bed; instead, it now belongs to the woman who did such a wonderful job caring for my father in the last two years of his life. She recently bought a 1989 vintage motor home that still has its original dusty pink decor, so this quilt fits right in!

The last photo shows the vintage colors most accurately. The dark red trim is a contemporary batik fabric. The quilting was done by a local quilt shop owner using a longarm sewing machine and wool batting.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9386.jpeg

IMG_9400.jpeg

I started this quilt in the 1980s – yes, 30 to 40 years ago! It was started as a quilt for my parents. I’ll spare you the excuses, but it did not get done in time to grace their bed; instead, it now belongs to the woman who did such a wonderful job caring for my father in the last two years of his life. She recently bought a 1989 vintage motor home that still has its original dusty pink decor, so this quilt fits right in!

The last photo shows the vintage colors most accurately. The dark red trim is a contemporary batik fabric. The quilting was done by a local quilt shop owner using a longarm sewing machine and wool batting.

Wow! It's really beautiful!!
You do fabulous work!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9386.jpeg

IMG_9400.jpeg

This is very beautiful. Labour of love!!

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9386.jpeg

IMG_9400.jpeg

It's beautiful! Is the pattern an Irish Chain?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this would be considered a double Irish chain, or a variation thereof. I used directions from a book called “It’s OK if you sit on my quilt.” It was one of the earlier books about using rotary cutters and clear rulers in quilting, which pretty much revolutionized quilting. I still have (somewhere) several “carpenter’s star” blocks that I made the old fashioned way: cutting each piece by hand and sewing them together by hand. I’ll have to dig them out and figure out what to do with them one of these days! Those blocks go back at least 43 year - LOL!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thats such a lovely quilt! And that would be really heavy to handle (I don't know how some quilters do it, a flip out over a coat!)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top itself isn’t that heavy and aside from the sheer volume of fabric, it’s not too hard to handle. But once it’s all sandwiched - top, batting, and back - it can get heavy and very cumbersome. That’s why I send my quilts out to be professionally quilted! The only quilt I’ve machine-quilted myself was twin size, and that was hard enough on my neck and shoulders that I vowed never to do that again!

The wool batting is lighter than cotton but it also has more loft, do it would very cumbersome to quilt on most home machines!

I stand in awe of anyone who can tailor jackets and coats! I wouldn’t dare cut into a piece of fine wool!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Lookinagain !
I reconnected with an old co-worker who is now a professional fine art oil painter. She inspired me to pick up the brush again.

Well, keep it up! You seem to have so many talents, it's making me jealous. If I recall correctly, you make jewelry, refinished your stairs, paint and goodness knows what else that I've forgotten. Oh, fixing the clock too. You amaze me!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, keep it up! You seem to have so many talents, it's making me jealous. If I recall correctly, you make jewelry, refinished your stairs, paint and goodness knows what else that I've forgotten. Oh, fixing the clock too. You amaze me!

Haha, yes....I'm a hands-on kinda girl!
I love to fix things. I'm the kid who used to take stuff apart to see how it worked.
I got in trouble for that a time or two......!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you guys know, my October was absolutely terrible and sewing was the very last thing on my mind.

I tried to get it together for thanksgiving (I just couldn't get it together.)

I tried to get it together for my birthday (I just couldn't get it together and we kept it very low key)

So I had to try harder for Christmas. I actually got it done ON Christmas, and while it was an easy project (just needed a Win, ANY win) it was mentally very very hard.

But it got me back to making things again and sometimes an easy project is needed.

Vogue 1735 is one of my Tried and True patterns. And of course as usual I had to massively cut it back as I'm not super model height (well not even near 5, 6"...lol) and because I lost some weight, I scaled it back drastically. This is a L. I probably could have gone with a M at this point.

20231228_143531.jpg

I had to think about how much I spent in materials...
5 yards of material @ $6.00 a yard. I think the zipper was .84 cents.

Last night I finished McCalls M8011. It was is a very basic pattern, I allowed myself to use a lovely embroidered twill with it, and that gave me the complication of trying to match up those swirls.

This is a bigger size than I should have even made. Its an XL but its a very big XL (very loose very boxy per the design) I should have totally scaled down on this because I'm so used to making those bigger sizes. I will make again but maybe make it as a M or L (probably an M, and its only because I don't have the boobs for a Large...lol) One of my nieces has already claimed it so won't go to waste. I had to add another button after I took these pics because the asymmetry was killing me...lol

and that bottom button...well its a little crooked but oh well. Its a feature :cool2:

20240114_112056.jpg

20240114_112309.jpg

T cost of materials:
3 yards @ $5.25 a yard
Buttons were the most expensive at 2.00 each (9 buttons!)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
As you guys know, my October was absolutely terrible and sewing was the very last thing on my mind.

I tried to get it together for thanksgiving (I just couldn't get it together.)

I tried to get it together for my birthday (I just couldn't get it together and we kept it very low key)

So I had to try harder for Christmas. I actually got it done ON Christmas, and while it was an easy project (just needed a Win, ANY win) it was mentally very very hard.

But it got me back to making things again and sometimes an easy project is needed.

Vogue 1735 is one of my Tried and True patterns. And of course as usual I had to massively cut it back as I'm not super model height (well not even near 5, 6"...lol) and because I lost some weight, I scaled it back drastically. This is a L. I probably could have gone with a M at this point.

20231228_143531.jpg

I had to think about how much I spent in materials...
5 yards of material @ $6.00 a yard. I think the zipper was .84 cents.

Last night I finished McCalls M8011. It was is a very basic pattern, I allowed myself to use a lovely embroidered twill with it, and that gave me the complication of trying to match up those swirls.

This is a bigger size than I should have even made. Its an XL but its a very big XL (very loose very boxy per the design) I should have totally scaled down on this because I'm so used to making those bigger sizes. I will make again but maybe make it as a M or L (probably an M, and its only because I don't have the boobs for a Large...lol) One of my nieces has already claimed it so won't go to waste. I had to add another button after I took these pics because the asymmetry was killing me...lol

and that bottom button...well its a little crooked but oh well. Its a feature :cool2:

20240114_112056.jpg

20240114_112309.jpg

T cost of materials:
3 yards @ $5.25 a yard
Buttons were the most expensive at 2.00 each (9 buttons!)

With all that mental anguish you still fashioned something beautiful. I'm proud of you. I hope you found some peace in it. They're lovely.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all that mental anguish you still fashioned something beautiful. I'm proud of you. I hope you found some peace in it. They're lovely.

Thank you so much. I feel like I'm turning a corner. Her birthday was January 3rd, which would have been 14. It was a hard day, but it was also Gigi's gotcha day and that made it easier to bear. It was in my mind the best move I made getting another greyhound. Gigi will get a greyhound on her birthday...lol

I still cry sometimes but I now go days instead of hours. Plus I'm in grief counseling now and thats helping me to cope better. A lot of my weird weight loss was tied to all of this I think. I didn't see it then but I sure do now.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm sticking my whole body into this next project.

20240106_112647.jpg

I haven't had a new coat in years, mainly because there wasn't much need for one. But, after this past winter, yeah there's a need for one because It got quite chilly down here (and still is!) So, I'm making a silk coat.

Why silk? Why not is my thinking. I have a ton of this stuff on hand, so I may as well use it!

I thought about doing wool. I actually have wool suiting, but its not as sturdy as this stuff.

The outside fabric is Ralph Lauren silk suiting but this is a pretty heavy thick silk suiting. The lining material I selected is also silk . Its a silk twill which is perfect for a lining plus its interfaced. Its deadstock and probably meant to be ties at one point but hey, I don't care I'll use it!!

I did consider a black lining because I do have a silk lining material but...nah, too thin and I really should use this stuff since its been sitting there.

The beige fabric is for the areas I have to interface (front lapels, collar, pockets) Thankfully I don't need much. Its a silk/wool fabric so, perfect!)

And I have some giant MOP buttons, big thick and chunky. Looking forward to using them (they're not pictured, sorry!)

I read all the instructions and its...involving. But, finally got it cut out last night. The sewing commences this week.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soooooo excited to share this beautiful handwoven piece. I hand dyed the warp (which is green tea model fiber) and the weft is also GTM as well as tencel. Hubs wove it on our countermarch loom. I will weave the next piece (these are handwoven fabric pieces for anything but the mother is using it to wear her baby) for my baby I had back in Sept. who is my 5th and a rainbow baby <3

It came out so beautiful and it’s so much more shiny IRL. It’s super soft and lush.

IMG_0674.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpeg
    IMG_0675.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 4

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soooooo excited to share this beautiful handwoven piece. I hand dyed the warp (which is green tea model fiber) and the weft is also GTM as well as tencel. Hubs wove it on our countermarch loom. I will weave the next piece (these are handwoven fabric pieces for anything but the mother is using it to wear her baby) for my baby I had back in Sept. who is my 5th and a rainbow baby <3

It came out so beautiful and it’s so much more shiny IRL. It’s super soft and lush.

IMG_0674.jpeg

WOW!!!!:shock::kiss2: Thats so beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results