shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cheapside Hoard in detail

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a link to some intriguing pictures and analyses of the Cheapside Hoard display at the Museum of London. Some of the colored-stone pieces are as modern as tomorrow.
http://indtl.com/event/the-cheapside-hoard
in-detail-cheapside-hoard-museum-of-london-0151.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this! It sounds like they have dated the hiding of it between 1640 and 1666.

Beautiful shots. I wish they identified which gemstones were used in the different pieces.

The hexagonal watch carved out of a single piece of emerald is incredible!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colors just blow me away. That salamander brooch is by far my favorite. So weird that no one ever came back to claim these treasures.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
The pink and green "stones" turn out to be glass. But here are two sapphires and a spinel. There are detailed images with IDs on the Museum of London website.
65030.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love historical jewelry. We should have a historical jewelry colored stones thread.

Thank you for the link.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen photos of them all cleaned up! They're beautiful. What I wouldn't give to hop a plane & see it!

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1383166232|3547736 said:
I love historical jewelry. We should have a historical jewelry colored stones thread.

Thank you for the link.

That's a great idea! We would largely rely on you to keep it going, TL. :praise: :saint:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1383190063|3547942 said:
TL|1383166232|3547736 said:

Thank you for the link.

That's a great idea! We would largely rely on you to keep it going, TL. :praise: :saint:

LOL Minous, I would but then I would be collecting pictures for half the day, and I'm too lazy. :oops:

If someone else wants to, feel free.

I will just post one of my favorite jewels of all time though, for the historical signficance as well as the meaning it held to the wearer, who was of supreme importance.

This is a piece of 16th century jewelry, not from the Cheapside hoard, but it belonged the Queen Elizabeth I. Inside, it opened up to show a photo of her, and her deposed/executed mother, Anne Boleyn. It has rubies, mother of pearl and gold, a small pearl (which opened the ring to a secret compartment), and diamonds making up the "E" for Elizabeth. It came a bit earlier than the Cheapside hoard but is a similar style.

elizabeth_i_ring.jpg

chequersringopenandclosed.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, where do I have to go to see Elizabeth's ring? Is it so closely guarded that I cannot steal it? Oh, well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1383195387|3547982 said:
OMG, where do I have to go to see Elizabeth's ring? Is it so closely guarded that I cannot steal it? Oh, well.

Unfortunately, it does not go on display often, as it is in the hands of a private collection. Very little of her personal jewelry remains. Some of her pearls are part of the Imperial State Crown of Great Britain, and this ring, is all I think that is left.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
[quote="TL] will just post one of my favorite jewels of all time though, for the historical signficance as well as the meaning it held to the wearer, who was of supreme importance.

This is a piece of 16th century jewelry, not from the Cheapside hoard, but it belonged the Queen Elizabeth I. Inside, it opened up to show a photo of her, and her deposed/executed mother, Anne Boleyn. It has rubies, mother of pearl and gold, a small pearl (which opened the ring to a secret compartment), and diamonds making up the "E" for Elizabeth. It came a bit earlier than the Cheapside hoard but is a similar style.[/quote]

this is so amazing! I'm a big Tudor fan, and it's always nice to see something an actually piece of the time - much more than all you read in books.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is amazing in its historical significance as well as its fine detailing, but I'm puzzling over the photograph...they did not have photography at that time, did they? :confused:

Not of the same historical period, but I loved the sapphire ring that recently came up for auction that Napoleon Bonaparte gave to his lovely bride...what provenance!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's a painting, I think, Minou. Complex ring! Some of QE I's clothing survives -- I've seen photos of a pair of shoes & some stockings, a pair of gloves. Then, of course, there's La Peregrina, which belonged to Queen Mary, Elizabeth's older sister (and to ET, of course).

article-2073821-0f2b2cc300000578-433_306x423.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love historical and period jewellery; I second/third/fourth the suggestion of such a thread.

TL,
What is the QE's ring made of? I mean the shank part because it looks white. As for the picture, I think it was painted on. Amazing detail at that too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1383219544|3548047 said:
I love historical and period jewellery; I second/third/fourth the suggestion of such a thread.

TL,
What is the QE's ring made of? I mean the shank part because it looks white. As for the picture, I think it was painted on. Amazing detail at that too.

Minous,
Those are small painted portraits which used to be very customary back then among royalty, and the nobles, and people who could afford them, instead of photos as we use today. Many of the Queen's court, for example, would carry a small painting of the Queen very similar to the one in her ring.

Chrono,
The shank is gold on the outside, with rubies, and the inner shank is mother of pearl.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1383217707|3548045 said:
That's a painting, I think, Minou. Complex ring! Some of QE I's clothing survives -- I've seen photos of a pair of shoes & some stockings, a pair of gloves. Then, of course, there's La Peregrina, which belonged to Queen Mary, Elizabeth's older sister (and to ET, of course).

Yes, here's a beautiful portrait of Queen Elizabeth I's half sister, Queen Mary I (also known as "Bloody Mary"), wearing the pearl.

348px-anthonis_mor_-_queen_mary_tudor_of_england_-_wga16178.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Interesting how much she looks like her father in that portrait.

periwinkle

Rough_Rock
the salamander brooch looks sweet and the emerald watch is fascinating - wish I could see the real thing! but I'm too far away from London....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results