shape
carat
color
clarity

the buying process

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Hello again everyone! Just to mirror what is a very common theme here on the boards... thank you so much for your help and abundance of information! It truly makes buying an engagement ring a pleasure, not something you dread doing. I''m very excited to finally make the purchase and ask my girlfriend to marry me. I think after spending more time than I should on these boards I''ve become a little obsessed myself at finding the perfect stone- possibly more obsessed than my girlfriend!

Anyway, I think I''ve decided that I want to buy both the stone and the setting from Whiteflash (they must LOOOOVE this website with all the good press they get). So how does the actual buying process work? I don''t plan on getting the ring insured (the whole thing will come to around $2500), although it would be nice to have some sort of certificate showing the authenticity of the ring. Since I''m not insuring it, would they still ship everything off to an independent appraiser? And then does that appraiser actually mount the stone on the setting? I''m very confused by the actual step-by-step process. If anybody could walk me through, from the moment I hit "purchase" on the website to the time the ring arrives at my office, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much in advance!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the appraiser does not mount the stone. the jewelers do that. once you purchase the stone, it will be mounted into the setting and set to the appraiser for verification. the letter of verification is just that. it verifies that the stone/setting/ring is what it is and gives an approximate retail value.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Samkongado,

As Belle noted, one of our purchase benefits is a letter of verification from a Houston gemologist/appraiser, usually suitable for insurance purposes. This is not a substitute for a full appraisal of the kind many PS appraisers (and other top independent appraisers) offer. It is another form of authentication beyond the lab grade and analysis and checking we do, intended as a courtesy.

If you would like to have the unmounted diamond sent to someone you're hiring to perform an appraisal before purchase/setting please call to discuss the particulars. Also bear in mind that, just like sellers, you should check background and reputability of any appraiser you elect to hire.

Regards,

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Belle,

Now I thought I had read on the forums here that the stone is supposed to be un-mounted so that the appraiser can get a good look at the diamond. If the diamond is already set, is the appraiser still able to appraise it?

So if I purchase stone and setting from Whiteflash, they will mount it there, send it to the appraiser, who will send it to me. Is that right?

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2006 5:01:13 PM
Author: samkongado
Belle,

Now I thought I had read on the forums here that the stone is supposed to be un-mounted so that the appraiser can get a good look at the diamond. If the diamond is already set, is the appraiser still able to appraise it?

So if I purchase stone and setting from Whiteflash, they will mount it there, send it to the appraiser, who will send it to me. Is that right?

Thanks!
they send the stone/setting/ring to an independent appraiser who does a verification. it is not a full appraisal.

if you want a full appraisal separate from your purchase, you can work something out with them i am sure. you would need to contact them to make that arrangement, otherwise you get the letter of verification. i find that alone is enough, but your needs may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results