shape
carat
color
clarity

The Best Age to Get Married (Article)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I always thought 26/27 was the ideal age to get married, and I always had it in my head that I would probably get married around that time. However, I met someone in college and we got married when I was 23, he was 21. In my heart, it felt like I was a bit younger than I wanted to be, and it felt like things had moved too fast. They did - we were divorced 2 years later.... with the main reason being his emotional issues and thinking that he got married "too soon". Anyway, fast forward to now - I got married again last year at the age of 31. Older than I would have liked...but it feels righter!! I think I took more time to think things through this time around.
1.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I got married at the age of 31 (okay, just a few days off my 32nd birthday)
It felt weirdly late, like I''d shown up at my own party a couple of years too late.
but... was definitely the right guy.
Wish I''d had the fun-times 20s years as well as the hard-slog 30s with him, though!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Most doctors now suggest that difficulty in trying to conceive doesn''t happen until 40, but there is a lot of contention even in that statistic.

I wholeheartedly agree that this is just a change in social values. People now find education and financial security as precursors to marriage, and that postpones marriage and childbearing. But, interesting post.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I got married on July 26th 2008, 2 weeks short of my 36th birthday and I''m now 13 weeks pregnant.

The fertility thing is an average - each individual is different. I wasn''t concerned as my cycle was clockwork regular, my mother didn''t hit the menopause till 58 and both she and I were very late developers which apparently gives you a bit of leeway at the other end. DH and I tried for exactly 6 weeks and I got KU the first full month of trying. Because it was easy for us this time, we are planning a 5 year gap before we have a second.

Yes you have an increased risk for chromosomal abnormalities, but they have great screening tests nowadays. In fact more babies with Downs are born to younger mothers these days as they don''t get the same amount of screening.

I never had a set age to get married at - I just wanted to find the right person. I had several serious relationships before DH (and lived with 3 of them), and turned down 3 proposals as I didn''t feel they were THE person for the rest of my life. My parents have a pretty perfect marriage and I wanted the same or nothing.

I hear lots of people say they want to be young parents - well, even at 36 I still feel very young. I''d just say that I am a lot more financially secure and more emotionally competent than I was 10 years ago. I''ve also done everything I wanted to do in the ''wild youth'' department and the idea of going out clubbing for a night makes me feel exhausted rather than excited - I''ll certainly never look back and wish that I''d done x, y or z before I got married. I think if I''d married before 30 I would have done.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good article! I always thought that I''d get married at around 30, and I will be 27 when D and I marry in June. We''re not planning on kids and if we change our minds it won''t be till I''m about mid thirties. We want to be financially stable prior to having any.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Can I just say- Princesss, I love your attitude! You are so level headed, I wish I were more like you.

I am really not sure what I think about age. I used to think I wanted to be married by 25 so that I could be married for 5 years when I started to have kids at 30. I am 24, so I doubt that will happen. But thats ok, since now 30 is seeming a tad early for kids!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 9:25:47 AM
Author: Miscka
Can I just say- Princesss, I love your attitude! You are so level headed, I wish I were more like you.

I am really not sure what I think about age. I used to think I wanted to be married by 25 so that I could be married for 5 years when I started to have kids at 30. I am 24, so I doubt that will happen. But thats ok, since now 30 is seeming a tad early for kids!
Aww, Miscka, thank you! Most people think I''m crazy for the way my relationship is going, so it''s nice to hear somebody say that I''m level-headed, lol! (Most people either think I''m nuts for staying with him so long without a ring, nuts for not getting engaged and marrying him right now, or nuts for thinking it''s a step forward that we went from living together temporarily to living separately.) But we just do what feels right and makes sense to us, and it''s worked for almost 4 years now.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results