shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanksgiving 2020-What R U Doing?

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
It’ll be super small this year, just DH and our doggy, with a possible FaceTime with family. I’m OK with this. Better safe than sorry.

We’ll watch the usual classic Thanksgiving specials, including (of course!) the one in my avatar, and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. I have vague, but fond memories of going once as a kid. =)2 This year it will be much different. There will be balloons and celebs, but it doesn’t look like there will be the usual big marching bands or crowds allowed. I don’t know how they’re going to stretch it to 3 hours, but that’s what it says. It should be interesting. I wonder if Santa will wear a mask:

What are your plans for the day?

Last edited:

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
My husband wants the full on Thanksgiving experience for just the two of us. A big turkey and all...

My emojis aren’t working but the eye roll one is definitely the one I’m feeling.

Oh, that’ll be a lot of work, sorry about that. :(2 But I think a lot of our dogs and cats will be very happy this Thanksgiving...lots of leftovers for them!=)2

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the two of us. I’m still going all our because it’s my favorite meal of the year!

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Just the two of us. I’m still going all our because it’s my favorite meal of the year!

All the cooking and eating will be a nice distraction from everything!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will just be the four of us...My husband and son, David, love the Thanksgiving spread. My mom does too...I’ve been making a turkey every year for forty-three years. I don’t mind the cooking but the cleanup is a killer. I had a mini meltdown during the cleanup three years ago. It was pretty funny because I don’t usually have meltdowns. I was totally exhausted in the kitchen all day cooking and cleaning. Two years ago we started going out for our Thanksgiving meal. It gave me a break so I’m okay for this year. My husband is definitely helping me this time. David has already put in his requests which are the same every Thanksgiving..Haha We may Zoom with our middle son and family.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the 4 of us -- me, DH, and 4 cats who will team up to plot how to steal the turkey.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be cooking for the 4 of us lol. Which is myself, husband, daughter, and cat child lol. So I'll probably be in the kitchen drinking all the soda I want for the day since I'm the one cooking. Woohoo!

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
It will just be the four of us...My husband and son, David, love the Thanksgiving spread. My mom does too...I’ve been making a turkey every year for forty-three years. I don’t mind the cooking but the cleanup is a killer. I had a mini meltdown during the cleanup three years ago. It was pretty funny because I don’t usually have meltdowns. I was totally exhausted in the kitchen all day cooking and cleaning. Two years ago we started going out for our Thanksgiving meal. It gave me a break so I’m okay for this year. My husband is definitely helping me this time. David has already put in his requests which are the same every Thanksgiving..Haha We may Zoom with our middle son and family.

Husbands definitely need to help.
1605060013100.jpeg

Last edited:

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I'll be cooking for the 4 of us lol. Which is myself, husband, daughter, and cat child lol. So I'll probably be in the kitchen drinking all the soda I want for the day since I'm the one cooking. Woohoo!

Cat child =)

1605060271045.jpeg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Thanksgiving will just be the 4 of us as well. Dh, myself and 2 teens. My kids insist on our traditional menu with a ton of sides....we’ll probably deeply fry a small Turkey around 10lbs

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Thanksgiving will just be the 4 of us as well. Dh, myself and 2 teens. My kids insist on our traditional menu with a ton of sides....we’ll probably deeply fry a small Turkey around 10lbs

Oh, this sounds so nice. :)
I wish I could deep fry something for Thanksgiving. But I’m scheduled for gallbladder removal surgery and I’d better not tempt fate!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
this thanksgiving, thanksgiving 2020 will just be my husband, our two cat children and myself

we will both be in the kitchen "cooking". this usually means, a few days leading up to thanksgiving day, we will be sipping on drinks while we prepare some of the traditional side dishes and desserts. on the day of is when the turkey is oven roasted, gravy gets made ...

this year, i'm considering roasting a duck instead. (the cats won't be pleased because they LOVE turkey) and less quantity of each of the sides and desserts. less of everything but retain the variety. i'm hoping it will still feel like thanksgiving ... in spite of the current state of affairs

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
this thanksgiving, thanksgiving 2020 will just be my husband, our two cat children and myself

we will both be in the kitchen "cooking". this usually means, a few days leading up to thanksgiving day, we will be sipping on drinks while we prepare some of the traditional side dishes and desserts. on the day of is when the turkey is oven roasted, gravy gets made ...

this year, i'm considering roasting a duck instead. (the cats won't be pleased because they LOVE turkey) and less quantity of each of the sides and desserts. less of everything but retain the variety. i'm hoping it will still feel like thanksgiving ... in spite of the current state of affairs

I’m hoping it will still feel like Thanksgiving too, @Big Fat Facets!

I’m starting to wean myself off the news/news websites and that seems to help. Trying to just check the main headlines once a day now on text-only news sites (no videos or photos on these sites). I thought I could go cold-turkey (no pun intended) on news, but my curiosity gets the best of me.

I’ll start to watch some holiday specials soon, just to take my mind off of things.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I’m hoping it will still feel like Thanksgiving too, @Big Fat Facets!

I’m starting to wean myself off the news/news websites and that seems to help. Trying to just check the main headlines once a day now on text-only news sites (no videos or photos on these sites). I thought I could go cold-turkey (no pun intended) on news, but my curiosity gets the best of me.

I’ll start to watch some holiday specials soon, just to take my mind off of things.

i was off news for months. it did me a world of good. but recently got back on it because of the election. "cold turkey";)2 seems to work best for me in terms of the news.

that's a really good point, though ... being back on the news is not helping it feel like its two weeks before thanksgiving

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
i was off news for months. it did me a world of good. but recently got back on it because of the election. "cold turkey";)2 seems to work best for me in terms of the news.

that's a really good point, though ... being back on the news is not helping it feel like its two weeks before thanksgiving

I managed to avoid most news for the past several years. That helped my depression/anxiety/PTSD a lot. But this year’s events have almost required being informed on a daily basis. And I’m kind of an info junkie too.

I need to find a happy medium though because there are just too many stories and images that trigger me and some pop up where/when you don’t expect them. Even on the entertainment news sites. Heck, even sites that have nothing to do with news. Scanning the first few headlines on the text-only news sites is what I’m trying now. But I digress.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working so we will catch up with family after Thanksgiving. Really bummed that my husband's cousin who always stays a week with us during this time has been uninvited by DH. They have different political ideologies which is fine. But relative could not stick to the 'no politics' rule so DH finally had enough. I honestly do not understand why someone would choose to keep poking the bear and get uninvited over politics. I feel sad,but get where my husband is coming from. He does not need to be ridiculed in his own home and I am sorry his cousin can't control himself. I guess it's not really over politics, but more of a control issue. DH really tried to bend but I guess he has his limits. Still sad over it.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I'm working so we will catch up with family after Thanksgiving. Really bummed that my husband's cousin who always stays a week with us during this time has been uninvited by DH. They have different political ideologies which is fine. But relative could not stick to the 'no politics' rule so DH finally had enough. I honestly do not understand why someone would choose to keep poking the bear and get uninvited over politics. I feel sad,but get where my husband is coming from. He does not need to be ridiculed in his own home and I am sorry his cousin can't control himself. I guess it's not really over politics, but more of a control issue. DH really tried to bend but I guess he has his limits. Still sad over it.

I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s cousin, @LisaRN. Thanksgiving should be a peaceful time. And no one should be attacked for their beliefs in their own home, so I don’t blame your husband for uninviting him. I would too.

I hope the holiday season is still a nice one for you, and also that your patients appreciate that you‘re taking care of them on the big day!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s just going to be my DH, me and our 4 cats. Not sure what is on the menu yet.

If we knew the weather would be mild we’d do an outdoor physically distanced Thanksgiving with my parents and sister, BIL and nieces. However being in the NE more likely than not it’s not going to be outdoor eating weather.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
We'll give a nod to Thanksgiving this year but it will be very pared down. Only two people so more like just regular dinner, though we will have turkey slices, stovetop stuffing, mashed potatoes etc.

And we will remember how much we have to be thankful for, regardless of the trials and tribulations of 2020.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
It’s just going to be my DH, me and our 4 cats. Not sure what is on the menu yet.

If we knew the weather would be mild we’d do an outdoor physically distanced Thanksgiving with my parents and sister, BIL and nieces. However being in the NE more likely than not it’s not going to be outdoor eating weather.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for an Indian Summer Thanksgiving for you, @missy so you can spend it with your family!

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
We'll give a nod to Thanksgiving this year but it will be very pared down. Only two people so more like just regular dinner, though we will have turkey slices, stovetop stuffing, mashed potatoes etc.

And we will remember how much we have to be thankful for, regardless of the trials and tribulations of 2020.

I love stovetop stuffing...yum! :lickout:

And you’re right, @seaurchin. In spite of everything, we still have a lot to be thankful for!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just going to my Mom's house. She watches my son so we're all exposed to each other anyway. No one else. NY just announced a 10 person household maximum, all together we are 7.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Our Thanksgiving was last month and at the time we were a bit more out and about. We bought turkey and brussel sprout poutine from a food truck and enjoyed it in a park with apple pie and a few sneaky beers.

Not the classiest way to spend the day, but it was just the two of us and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our Thanksgiving was last month and at the time we were a bit more out and about. We bought turkey and brussel sprout poutine from a food truck and enjoyed it in a park with apple pie and a few sneaky beers.

Not the classiest way to spend the day, but it was just the two of us and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

@chemgirl That sounds like a wonderful low stress way to spend Thanksgiving!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
still up in the air in our household...it will either be just us (me, hubby youngest son that lives with us) or my oldest son, wife and grand daughter will join us...OR we will include her parents and oldest brother (total of 8 people plus 1 baby)...now we have gotten together with her parents multiple times since all this has happened, they are as anal as we are about wearing mask, sanitizing, staying home ect..heck she made me my face masks...we need to make a decision pretty soon, leaving it up to my son to decide, I dont want to push one way or the other

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Just the four of us here - Hubby, 2 teenage daughters and myself. Full spread with turkey will be made. I am a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving. Even cook a whole turkey day meal on the Friday after Thanksgiving in normal times.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results