shape
carat
color
clarity

Thaigemstore Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I just received this ruby from Thaigemstore, and it does look exactly like its picture and video. I paid little for it, and I''m very happy with my gem. In incandescent light its a pure red, and daylight its a pretty pink/fuschia color. It has very obvious and eye visible fractures and inclusions, and its pear shape is somewhat blocky looking. These inclusions are apparent even from a distance. The fracture makes it an interesting stone as it flashes when light hits it. The vendor was quick and responsive to the emails I sent. I''m not certain if I''ll ever set it or not. Shipping took about 3 weeks, and the stone was packaged in a small plastic zipped bag and then wrapped many times over (imagine about 20 times over) in cellophane and tape, which was difficult to take apart. Though this experience was mostly positive, I don''t think I''ll purchase from this vendor based on others experiences, and because I don''t want to worry about shipping back to Thailand if I don''t like my purchase.

RB335-089-057-1.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pretty ruby!
I have ordered from them 6x, and have always been happy. Never had a windowed (that I didnt see was windowed on the listing) stone or one as a different color.
Here are my stones I have bought from them. Tourmalines, Kunzite, and a 2.5ct orange BE sapphire. The only mildly windowed stone is the emerald pink tourmaline.

thaigemstoreksps.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indy,
Please don''t be offended by my comments, but beautiful rubies can be had all over ebay for very little. The issue is that they''re lead glass filled. If you didn''t get a reputable gemological memo with it stating the full extent of the treatment, then assume it''s glass filled. This is especially true if you paid very little for it and it''s still a beautiful looking stone. It could also be a synthetic ruby as well.

I purchased a lead glass filled ruby from Thaigemstore a while ago, just to see how one of these types of stones would look in person. I paid $5. It looked just like the photo/video too.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Not offended at all!
1.gif
This ruby was advertised at unheated, and I don''t know if its true or not. Some of their rubies are advertised as glass filled with a link to an article on filling; I''m not sure if they''d try to fool customers by being honest about some gems and dishonest about others. I would usually care if it were glass filled, but for the price I paid and because I didn''t have plans plans when I bought, I''m not worried about this one. If I did ever purchase from them again (which is unlikely) I''d only purchase something that is usually untreated and also inexpensive.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
RH, I like that blue-green tourmaline!

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A very simple way to determine if a Ruby is glass filled is with a Hanneman Ruby filter. Under the filter, Rubies (synthetic or natural) will be blue, and glass of any kind will add a very prominent purple color. It works fairly well and will help you discard those usually red glass ''rubies''. Naturally, anything of high value should be sent to a Lab for complete analysis.

--Joshua

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the write-up. Is that the vendor''s picture?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thank you :). Its actually prettier then most of my cuprians!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 1:53:08 PM
Author: Chrono
Thank you for the write-up. Is that the vendor''s picture?

Yes, it is the vendor''s picture. I would have liked to include my own shots, but my camera is out of commission until next month. If the thread is closed by then, I might message the mods to ask them to re-open it to post my own pictures.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 1:43:01 PM
Author: serenitydiamonds
A very simple way to determine if a Ruby is glass filled is with a Hanneman Ruby filter. Under the filter, Rubies (synthetic or natural) will be blue, and glass of any kind will add a very prominent purple color. It works fairly well and will help you discard those usually red glass ''rubies''. Naturally, anything of high value should be sent to a Lab for complete analysis.

Is it possible to buy a filter if you are not in the trade, and if so, where would I find one?

--Joshua

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/10/2010 4:55:09 PM
Author: IndyLady
Date: 4/10/2010 1:43:01 PM

Author: serenitydiamonds

--Joshua

Is it possible to buy a filter if you are not in the trade, and if so, where would I find one?

Sure, it''s always possible to buy instruments and filters even though you aren''t in the trade.

Kassoy has a full set of filters, which include the Ruby on at:
http://www.kassoy.com/gem-identification-filters/

Here''s another source:

http://www.mineralab.com/Gem_Filter_Set.htm

This filter won''t tell you for sure it is a Ruby, and won''t tell you whether it is synthetic or not. It will, however, tell you for sure if it isn''t one and it''s a very effective first check for glass.

--Joshua

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
No matter what the treatment is or is not (and is is what it probably is - depending on what your definition of Is is
19.gif
) It is pretty.

As your signature hints, you might like Ryan Gainey''s "The Well-Placed Weed". Any flower can be a weed if it is in the wrong place. And any weed can be a gem in your heart. :)

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
sure glad i got my boots on
6.gif
6.gif
9.gif
2.gif

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/10/2010 10:11:57 PM
Author: amethystguy
sure glad i got my boots on
6.gif
6.gif
9.gif
2.gif
I can put boots on too. Funny, it will be just before your butt gets sore
31.gif
3.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
hehehe
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results