shape
carat
color
clarity

Texting teen falls down manhole

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol... reminds me of a gal that drove into our truck well -
23.gif
she was on the phone
33.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy.

A freshman at my alma mater was killed a few years ago after walking into the street *right* in front of a campus bus. She was on the cell phone talking to her mom. Tragic.

Abril

Shiny_Rock
There's plenty of blame to go around for both sides. Good thing it wasn't worse.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 6:06:10 PM
Author:TravelingGal
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/07/13/wabc.sewerfall.texting.wabc

OK, I get that the workers shouldn''t have left it unattended, but does anyone else think that the mother and daugther have taken NO responsibility that the kid was not watching where she was going?

I mean, my mother would have asked me why the heck I wasn''t watching where I was going!

So would have mine. Besides that, I would have gotten a lecture from my dad too.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people have impaired vision. Whether you are texting, looking the other way, have bad vision, are blind, running fast or just not paying attention, there shouldn't be an open sewer hole left unattended. The workers are being paid to do a job and they failed.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I know this is mean of me but when I read your post heading I just pictured it Animated and giggled...I hope she''s ok

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 7:37:14 PM
Author: swingirl
A lot of people have impaired vision. Whether you are texting, looking the other way, have bad vision, are blind, running fast or just not paying attention, there shouldn''t be an open sewer hole left unattended. The workers are being paid to do a job and they failed.
I totally agree. In the end, that manhole should have been attended. Unfortunately there were a**holes dealing with the manhole.
41.gif

But I would go out on a limb to say that girl probably would have tripped over the cones and fallen in. People with two good eyes need to watch where they are going, and if they are not, they are partly to blame.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:39:48 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 7/13/2009 7:37:14 PM

Author: swingirl

A lot of people have impaired vision. Whether you are texting, looking the other way, have bad vision, are blind, running fast or just not paying attention, there shouldn''t be an open sewer hole left unattended. The workers are being paid to do a job and they failed.
I totally agree. In the end, that manhole should have been attended. Unfortunately there were a**holes dealing with the manhole.
41.gif

But I would go out on a limb to say that girl probably would have tripped over the cones and fallen in. People with two good eyes need to watch where they are going, and if they are not, they are partly to blame.

Absolute ditto.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
wow, the worst i''ve done is walk into doors/walls/trees while texting. good thing i don''t live around cacti!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, she was WAY too into that phone if she didn''t notice a gaping hole in front of her. Supposedly she had just received a text and was looking down to read it? Then she would have been looking ahead prior to that and should have seen the hole. It''s not like a hole that size blends into the ground. She was way more distracted than they made it sound.

Also, on the other side, city infrastructure is not something to be taken lightly. Whoever was working on that, whether it be they city or a contracter, has safety codes to follow. You never, under any circumstance like that, leave an obstacle unattended and dangerous. If a contractor is building a road, they don''t leave their motorgrader out in the middle of a traffic lane while they go get their barrels to put out. There is an order to things like this, and you don''t open a manhole BEFORE having the proper safety equipment to block it off. So stupid. I''m surprised they''re not in more trouble than they are - they should be fined, liable, and put on a list to not work for the city.

This is just a sad case of 2 parties being very ignorant.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results