shape
carat
color
clarity

Tesla solar roof tiles

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is newish technology which has yet to prove its efficacy over the long haul but I think it's genius. Help reduce energy costs in a more attractive way than solar panels.

https://www.tesla.com/solar

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds lovely.

However.....until what is likely a VERY expensive high-tech roof also sports some wicked Star Trek-ian deflector fields for the truly massive hail we have here on a regular basis, I'll have to look on longingly from a distance. ;))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The time is costs to recoup the investment may be longer than my lifespan so while I love this idea, I doubt we'll purchase. Hubs and I have reached a point in our lives where big ticket home projects are weighed against our estimate of the life span we have left to enjoy the results. :D

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow! So cool. Thanks for sharing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been eyeing these and hoping more info comes out. :appl: Plus, I live in the sunshine state with no tall trees in the way....

Having had solar panels on our house in Massachusetts, I would love these solar tiles way more. Even though we had thin panels, we still had 39 of them, and they were butt ugly. We also had one hell of a job to keep the squirrels from building nests under them. Eventually we got the squirrel guard up but we also had to get rid of their disgusting nests...ew.

The only thing that would give me pause is the fact I'm on the east coast, close to the ocean, and well.. hail. replacing a panel [or 2 in our case] because of hail damage was quite expensive to do.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What if i dont like tiles ?
I like the traditional NZ aesthetics of a corrigated iron roof

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if i dont like tiles ?
I like the traditional NZ aesthetics of a corrigated iron roof

Good question? There's tons of panels out now than there was even a few years ago. Tesla Tiles are stupid expensive unfortunately! With the price of fuel going up (along with my electric bill, which is ridiculous as I'm not even using more but LESS) I'm now going the route of panels. The panels I'm looking at are US made so will be cheaper to install. However, I'll be doing a backup battery loop system, so in the case of power outages, I'll be set. I will not need the big giant generator in my back yard.

I can only say research all the options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results