shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension setting opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen that ring before and I like it. There is enough metal on the band where it should be and the build is right.

If you look closely you can see a ring under the diamond that connects the two faces under the stone.

It is not a real tension set though some tension is needed to hold the stone. The strength lies in the dirrect connection to both sides with the ring underneath.

Hope this helps

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks PlatS! I was wondering if it was a true tension setting. It seemed very inexpensive.

mrzues

Rough_Rock
thanks - I have requested some additional photos at diffrerent angles
Do you think a .7 would look okay in this?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I''d need to know more about the vendor to answer that. They may have upscaled and downscaled versions. If not they need to shape the mount in proportions to your diamond. I am guessing it is not big deal, but it will depend on the bench worker.

Having said that, the setting in question looks perfect for a .70ct diamond. I am guessing that''s about the size of the diamond in the photo.

Good that they are sending additional photos. I''d like to have a look. I saw a post here with a comparison of similar rings and was dissapointed to see this, the better ring, look worse by comparison. Please post your new photos when you get a chance.

Is USD$800 actually cheap for a Plat'' wishbone ring in the US, RA? It is quite heavy but the margain is liveable which not what I expect to see with US online retailers.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It seemed to me to be cheap compared to a true tension (better called compression) setting. I have not priced them, but I think a Steven Kretchmer setting like this would go for 3 or 4 or 5 times the platinum price on DCD. A G&A setting maybe 2/3 of the Kretchmer price?

Since it is not a true tension setting I think the price is quite reasonable indeed, you platinumsmiths are underpaid.
9.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I know we are. I won''t even go into that. We work for the satifaction of making good jewellery. At least I am not a farmer.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure why a tension setting should cost more except for the weight. It doesn''t take longer to do. I guess it is a branding thing. Tension settings are responsible for holding a stone that could fall out if the metal isn''t tempered right etc, so people buy from reputable sources who charge extra as a gurantee.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
My girl friend has a ring just like that done in white gold. There is a bar "stabilizing" the diamond underneath. She also has a customize wedding band that sort of "interlocks", sitting flush with ring. My friend''s stone is a round 2 ct. She had the ring for almost 4 years, and had the stone come loose three times! If the wearer is hard on jewelry, I wouldn''t recommend it...my friend is not an active person either!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results