shape
carat
color
clarity

Temperamental co-worker!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The jeweller where I work is so temperamental! Grumpy isn''t the word for it! If I ever have to go into his room to ask him anything he sighs really loudly and then glares at me! He does it to everyone. I really want to tell him where to go - but obviously I can''t!

I asked him something about platinum today. All I wanted to know is if one ring is plat with iridium and one is with ruthenium - will I notice a difference in colour. Simple question to ask a jeweller you would think. Apparently platinum is platinum and ''why do you even care? Where are you finding all this stuff out?''.......

I only asked because I might buy a tiffany wedding band and its not the same mixture (if you know what I mean!) as the ring I got from Whiteflash.

He admitted later he just doesn''t know or care about how the platinum is made. He hates it and prefers not to work with it.

Oh well..... Does anyone else know if I will notice a difference?
9.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I dont have the answer to your question, but Oy!!!... I really dislike when co-workers are bothered by questions related to their job
20.gif

Really you just have to ignore it (as hard as it can be...) LOL, he might even feel threatened by your knowledge... who knows!

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
YIKES - Do you think he is suspects something since he asked you why you wanted to know all this "stuff"

Maybe he doen''t trust or it is getting under his skin since you have worked there and know so much - maybe more than the others.

I feel he takes you as some type of threat... or just doesn''t liked to be asked questions.. some people are like that,,,

He doesn''t sound like a "people person"
8.gif

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
sorry, but I did not know the answer to your question, but I am smiling at you...not glaring
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Meh... some people are just insecure so they overreact when they feel threatened and they feel they need to be in control. Psh. Whatever. I don''t take it personal (even if it is) and just let it roll off my back. I had substituted for day care and was asked to go in and help so-and-so with the snack. I go in and she says, "NO! No, Me and What''s-her''name have a system so I''ll wait for her!" Ooookayyyyy.... I was like ohhhh myyyy gosshhhh! It''s a frickin'' PBnJ, not like world peace is hanging in the balance! oy. Life sure would be easier without people!
19.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, today was my second day on the job at a jewelry store ( I really love it so far!), but your post reminds me that my mgr. told me today that bench jewelers can be somewhat tempermental (I''m quoting him, hopefully this won''t offend anyone here) because they are creative personalities, etc. He told me not to worry if I ever came back to the shop and had a question and the B.J. got short with me or unfriendly or whatever and not to take it personally. HTH...I think sometimes people get soooo into their jobs and don''t want to deal with anyone personally.

well, to perhaps answer your question, check out this article:

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/47/1/An-Overview-Of-Common-Alloys-Used-In-Jewelry.aspx

go slightly over half way down the page and you should see some photos. I myself have palladium and it is somewhat darker than most platinum, not too far off of the platinum ruthenium look you see there. From my experiences in most lighting conditions you will not see any difference because though the metal is darker it also reflects alot of light. So in bright lighting you just see a bright white ring, because it is reflecting so much light. The real difference is giong to be in dim dispersed light sources, say in a dim hallway, etc, but in that case I personally prefer it as that is also the conditions in which the diamond is giong to look the whitest and brightest, which means that the darker color of the metal really contrast well with the bright white light return of the diamond in those same dim dispersed lighting environments.

To give further reference, in most cases where I have tried on various Rhodium plated white gold rings (and rhodium is whiter than any of the questioned metals) you cant see a difference because of the reflection off the metal, but there is a fairly noticable difference in that dimmer light source, as mentioned above. I personally dont think you have anything to worry about, but if there is enough metal exposed next to each other (and if you have a diamond wedding band there probably isnt enough metal visible side by side for it to matter at all) then in some light sources you will see a difference--though I dont know how Patina will affect the color appearance, it may well make it more exagerated as the patina may reduce the relectivness of the ring thus making the metals natural color more apparant in more light sources? somethign else to find out I suppose.

I would personally be more concerned about the strength of the metals, which might not be as different as it looks like, it shoudl have alot to do with exactly how it is cast (i think thats the right terminology right?) as I believe that the listed strengths are all based on hand cast...something...you would have to ask john about all of that I think.

Date: 8/22/2007 6:54:36 PM
Author: sera
Meh... some people are just insecure so they overreact when they feel threatened and they feel they need to be in control. Psh. Whatever. I don't take it personal (even if it is) and just let it roll off my back. I had substituted for day care and was asked to go in and help so-and-so with the snack. I go in and she says, 'NO! No, Me and What's-her'name have a system so I'll wait for her!' Ooookayyyyy.... I was like ohhhh myyyy gosshhhh! It's a frickin' PBnJ, not like world peace is hanging in the balance! oy. Life sure would be easier without people!
19.gif

Oh god I know all about that kind of attitude at the daycare. I have had a number of co-workers at the daycare I work at that are just, well, insane. There was one who, on the occasions where I had to go in her room to help fill in, she would not say hi to me, not say anythign at all, then she would take half of the kids over to the red carpet and start doing stuff. Then she woudl get mad at me for not following the routine that her other coworker usually did (which was different than what she was doing)...lol, but she had not told me what was going on, pretty crazy! though thankfully her and a couple others have been fired).

Monarch:
"He told me not to worry if I ever came back to the shop and had a question and the B.J. got short with me or unfriendly or whatever and not to take it personally. HTH...I think sometimes people get soooo into their jobs and don't want to deal with anyone personally. "

that might often be the case, but this jeweler said that he doesnt even care how platinum is made---that doesnt exactly scream absorbed into his work to me. Sounds like he might be feeilng the desire for a carreer change to me
14.gif
perhaps he is a bit tired
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results