shape
carat
color
clarity

Telling my future SIL "that doesn't fit "

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Telling my future SIL

I have a naughty idea -- take some pictures of her in tight clothes, next to someone who wears properly sized clothes. Then frame the pictures, and place them in an obvious place -- somewhere that she and other people can easily see the pictures.

Not long ago, I realized I needed an upgrade in size by looking at my own photos. (I gained 6 pounds recently and had to go from XS to S as a result). I figured the same photo trick might work on your future SIL.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

UPDATE

So the dress was mostly sold out everywhere. After all day looking yesterday I couldn't find any online in department stores other than the 14.

I decided to go the eBay route. I found one 6, one 8, and one 12. Now one of my bm is an 8and one is a six, so I bought all three. I will tell her the truth these were all I could find and they were a good deal. If it bothers her it bothers her. I can't worry about it.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1369768277|3455192 said:
UPDATE

So the dress was mostly sold out everywhere. After all day looking yesterday I couldn't find any online in department stores other than the 14.

I decided to go the eBay route. I found one 6, one 8, and one 12. Now one of my bm is an 8and one is a six, so I bought all three. I will tell her the truth these were all I could find and they were a good deal. If it bothers her it bothers her. I can't worry about it.

I feel like this is the perfect solution! This way is ISN'T your fault and you're not telling her she looks fat in her too tight clothes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it bothers her it bothers her. I can't worry about it.

Kudos to you. :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny|1369771425|3455228 said:
If it bothers her it bothers her. I can't worry about it.

Kudos to you. :appl:

+1

Good solution. Hope it goes well.... :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Sounds like it will all work out after all. I'm happy for you Niel and you're exactly right, no need to stress if it bothers her. It was the only solution and she will just have to live with it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

if anyone was wondering, heres why i wanted that dress so badly. I bought my dress, and then i found a GREAT one for my sister to wear. Her's is lace, mine wasnt, but somehow this dress melds the two dresses perfectly together!

sss.png

uploadfromtaptalk1369655994195.jpg

img_3280.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

Holy crap Niel, you're beautiful! No one is going to be looking at anyone else.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JaneSmith|1369789400|3455402 said:
Holy crap Niel, you're beautiful! No one is going to be looking at anyone else.

:oops: youre sweet!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

good solution and at the end of the day its her problem, not yours.
oh, and I agree: no one is going to be looking at anyone but you!
and you are so right re the 3 dresses belonging together.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You look beautiful in your dress, Niel!! Those dresses are going to be gorgeous together! It was perfect that you found those three sizes!!! Since it isn't returnable, cut out the size tag!!!!! Tell her it's a 10 so she won't size it down too much! :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
You look beautiful in your dress, Niel!! Those dresses are going to be gorgeous together! It was perfect that you found those three sizes!!! Since it isn't returnable, cut out the size tag!!!!! Tell her it's a 10 so she won't size it down too much! :lol:

Thanks DS!

So update. I did exactly what I said I told her it was the only one I could find in that size range for her. It was via text so she didnt say anything other than "ok then."

I got it in the mail and had her try it on yesterday. I dropped it off at her house around 9, she didn't work yesterday. I didn't get any text about it all day. I texted a few time asking about it but she ignored me until like 5pm.

Sent me a pic. She looked really good. Gave her a really nice shape. She told me "i don't hate it but I dont love it."

OK... well zip it its my wedding. Bridesmaids aren't suppose to like their dress I guess. No matter how hard I try to get a good one.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1370468101|3459657 said:
So update. I did exactly what I said I told her it was the only one I could find in that size range for her. It was via text so she didnt say anything other than "ok then."

I got it in the mail and had her try it on yesterday. I dropped it off at her house around 9, she didn't work yesterday. I didn't get any text about it all day. I texted a few time asking about it but she ignored me until like 5pm.

Sent me a pic. She looked really good. Gave her a really nice shape. She told me "i don't hate it but I dont love it."

OK... well zip it its my wedding. Bridesmaids aren't suppose to like their dress I guess. No matter how hard I try to get a good one.

Superbly done, Niel. Two thumbs up!

Hugs,
Deb

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

All's well that ends well! So glad you found the right dress in the right sizes for your ladies, Niel. I love how all the dresses tie in with eachother without being too "matchy matchy."

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Yay! On to more important things...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad that worked out!!!! :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

tell her how great it looks on her.
seriously.
might garner some good vibes down the road.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:appl: Well done!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie|1370489528|3459892 said:
tell her how great it looks on her.
seriously.
might garner some good vibes down the road.

Ditto this.

I've been reading along, but not posting, because I really didn't have anything to say that hadn't already been said. But I'm glad it worked it. :appl:

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

So what size ended up working on her? Seriously, that could very well be the main reason she doesn't 'love' it.

Hey now, who cares if she likes the dress! If she looks great in it, she will get TONS of compliments, so that should shut her up. Besides, she ASKED to be in the wedding, so she just needs to get over herself, wear the dang dress and realize that the day isn't about her. Hopefully she will start to come around more if you send her a nice message about how fabulous she looks in the dress. I agree that this could push things in the positive for your relationship. Soooo glad to hear that it fits her though!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

Also, I was JUST thinking about this thread this very morning, so I'm so glad to see an update!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyPantsSparkles said:
So what size ended up working on her? Seriously, that could very well be the main reason she doesn't 'love' it.

Hey now, who cares if she likes the dress! If she looks great in it, she will get TONS of compliments, so that should shut her up. Besides, she ASKED to be in the wedding, so she just needs to get over herself, wear the dang dress and realize that the day isn't about her. Hopefully she will start to come around more if you send her a nice message about how fabulous she looks in the dress. I agree that this could push things in the positive for your relationship. Soooo glad to hear that it fits her though!

I got her a size 12. It looks good. I'd post a picture (face removed) but I dont want it to seem like I'm judging. I'm not at all, but I just think maybe its not a good idea?

She told me she felt fat. Makes me feel bad because I want her to be comfortable and happy in it. But I think she says that because she's realizing she isn't the size she used to be. And I know that's hard. Plus she usually wears really low cut dresses, which I was not about to allow :lol:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah my bridesmaids didn't like their dresses either really despite the fact that they looked great in them. The ones they liked in the store while trying on were all basically shapeless bags. I don't even know, man. Bridesmaiding makes people go crazy. Finally I stopped trying to let them have input and just made the decision and went with it. So I totally understand the feeling. BUT you will not regret doing this because she will look great on your wedding day.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

distracts|1370544087|3460282 said:

Yeah my bridesmaids didn't like their dresses either really despite the fact that they looked great in them. The ones they liked in the store while trying on were all basically shapeless bags. I don't even know, man. Bridesmaiding makes people go crazy. Finally I stopped trying to let them have input and just made the decision and went with it. So I totally understand the feeling. BUT you will not regret doing this because she will look great on your wedding day.

This is so true. I have never been in a wedding that I liked the dress, although I didn't complain. The only thing I have complained about, bridesmaid wise is that they wanted me to cover my tattoos and even then, it wasn't to the bride (I just complained here...such a great place to vent!). You can't please everyone and if you let them have some input, they will want to give input on ALL.

Niel, if you like the dress they're wearing, that is all that matters! I'm so happy her dress fit! Honestly, I try not to choose clothing for myself based on sizing, but based on what fits. Women as a whole get so wrapped up in the number. Who cares what that number is, if I look freaking fabulous in what I'm wearing?!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1370544087|3460282 said:

My sister gave her bm general parameters and told them to pick their own. She wanted it to look random. Oh how it drove her batty! She was constantly messaging her and asking if this was OK or that was OK, they would not make a decision themselves.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Niel your dress is STUNNING and you looked great in it!!!!!!!! I'm totally in awe!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

You did that well. Congrats!

Annette

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1370551092|3460398 said:
Niel your dress is STUNNING and you looked great in it!!!!!!!! I'm totally in awe!
Thank you ma'am. I havent gotten a chance to try my own home on yet. I have my first fitting next weekend. Yay! :D

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

NIel - Did you tell her how good you thought she looked?

P.S. Wasn't Marilyn Monroe a size 12?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dragonfly411|1370629434|3461019 said:
NIel - Did you tell her how good you thought she looked?

P.S. Wasn't Marilyn Monroe a size 12?

Oh yeah! I was raving about how flattering it was on her. Hopefully that helped.

And she probably was, sizes were so small back then! I have a few size 12 vintage dresses that are very well fitting on me. Some that are too small!

I'll tell her that if she gets down again :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results