shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell us about your friend - (cheese alert!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I just had the most wonderful conversation with a very old and very dear friend of mine. We only speak every 2 or 3 months, but there is so much love between us. So that, and my whacked out hormones, is making me feel super-cheesy and sentimental.

So, I thought I''d ask y''all to join in the cheese-fest: tell us about a dear friend you have. What makes you love her/him? How did you become friends?

OK,
9.gif
sorry if that nauseates any of you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll bite. My friend is my best friend, and he''s a guy with a girl''s name. I love him because he and I have so much in common, but also because of his awesome personality. He''s sweet, loyal, very trustworthy, gives great advice and he takes all the abuse I shell out. Plus I don''t feel silly when I cry on his shoulder because I knocked my side view mirror off of my car.

I met him 10 years ago when I was teaching his friend tennis lessons and they were goofing off and hitting balls at each other between 2 different courts. Well L hit one in a weird way, and it hit my ear-that was newly pierced. I was seriously POed, and made him run for the rest of the hour. A couple of years later he dated my best friend for a while, and then they split ways. Well, a couple years after that-I was turning 22 at the time-he dated the same friend again, and he and I became really close because we had a lot in common. And the friendship grew from there. There were very long stretches where we would manage to hang out everyday, and it managed to cement our bond. I love him.

Unfortunately I don''t get to see him much now, maybe once every couple months but I think about him often. And harass him by text message whenever I get the chance. I know that whenever I need him, he''ll be there for me, and conversely.

Awwww IndyGal, you''ve got me all soppy and emotional now!!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I am feeling super cheesy right now, too, but I have no hormones to blame
2.gif

I love my best friend because she is awesome.

She's a concert pianist. She doesn't own a TV. She has one scotch on the rocks every day after work and the majority of her clothes are vintage because she's convinced she was born in the wrong decade. She's a great shot with a rifle and hates the color pink. She roamed around the French countryside for 6 months when she didn't know what to do with her life living on nothing but cheese (or so she claims) :).

We've known each other since we can remember--our farms were adjacent growing up and we used to help each other with our daily chores--she can milk a cow or goat faster than anybody else I know (besides myself) and she can plant a field much straighter than I can. To this day we still bond over shoveling horse poop and collecting chicken eggs.

She was the only person I wanted standing by my side when I was married. I'm a better person for knowing her.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I''ve got a fun story. My best friend and I met at camp when we were 12 years old. Our parents were friends (its a bit circuitous, but there were several points of connection, including my stepmom and one of her dads oldest friends, who had been close since age 14).

Anyway, they knew they had daughters the same age (we were born 15 days apart), but they never introduced us because they thought we wouldn''t get along - I was more prissy and into school and taking ballet classes, she was more of a tomboy. Apparently she even came over to my house once when I wasn''t there, but we never met.

Until we ended up in the same cabin at camp at age 12. We bonded almost immediately, despite being very different, and stayed in touch via letter (we lived about 1 hour apart, which when you''re 12, is a tough distance). It wasn''t until the following year, when our families dropped us off to go to camp again that summer, that they all recognized each other and the story came out.

We stayed best friends all through junior high and high school, visiting each other regularly for sleepovers and other adventures (somehow I always got in trouble when I was with her
3.gif
20.gif
) and we have some hilarious stories to show for it (all I''ll say is that bright salmon-colored matching Tweey Bird shorts are always a mistake...)

Anyway, despite the fact that we remain extremely different from each other - she''s a loud, irreverent, outspoken lesbian who dropped out of college and does her own thing about pretty much everything, and I''m a soon-to-be-PhD, straight laced, married for almost two years, fairly conventional person - we also remain best friends. She was the MOH at my wedding and I know that is she ever gets married under the new CA law, I''ll be there for her as well. We can go months and months without talking, then think of each other at the exact same moment and call each other (often within hours of each other without realizing the other one has called). She''s the sister I never had, and I love her to death, and I know that if anything serious ever happened to me, she would be there in a flash, and vice versa. How''s that for cheese
3.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Awwww.
39.gif
1.gif
sniff sniff. Tell me more! Tell me more!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, I''m lucky because most of you already know how wonderful my friend Robbie is! Not only is she responsible for getting FI and I together, what, 5 years ago? (wow, longer than i thought!) But she''s also responsible for keeping me sane on a day to day basis as she listens to all my little rants and raves, excitements, confusions, and overall random thoughts. On the few days that go by that we don''t get to chat, I feel like part of me is missing!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
For my 21st birthday my mom made a scrapbook that included letters, cards, and pictures from family and friends. She had sent out a letter several months in advance, and collected things from all over the U.S. All of them were nice, but the one my best friend wrote made me cry. We both are obsessed with Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn. She is a brunette and I am blonde so she always calls me her Marilyn. This is kind of cheesy, but it shows you the kind of person she is. Here is her entry:

My Marilyn,

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that you appreciate when they''re right. You believe less so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."
- Marilyn Monroe (Thanks for being my better)

I don''t often remember the first time we met, or the time after that; but one thing I will never forget is these times we have had. That is what I love about us, we don''t need a story.. we just fit. These times have been gorgeous and comforting. With you, I know that good things happen and forget the worries that boggle my mind. You are such a beautiful person and filled such a void in my life. I hope that I will be able to the same kind of friend to you as you have been to me. I can''t wait for the many more nights of tears and Jim Halpert, pretending we are the fabulous Marilyn and Audrey, Sex and the City''s midnight showing, The Beatles jam sessions, and wine/whine nights. I honestly believe that you coming into my life has taught me to let it be. Everything is getting better.

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
- Audrey Hepburn

Love,
Your Audrey

Ok... how can you NOT be best friends with someone who can say such wonderful things? She is my rock and I honestly don''t know where I''d be without her.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What a happy thread!

I have a few really, really good friends, but, one in particular I would consider my best friend.

We met 20 years ago in high school. Our boyfriends were best friends so it made sense that we would be best friends. We were on cheerleading together through high school. And went on to work in the same office later. Even though at times our lives have been completely different we have always been the best of friends. I went on to marry my high school boyfriend. She broke up with hers and played the field for a while. While I was getting married and having babies she was a cheerleader for many NFL teams. After my son was born she was our first visitor! And one of the first people to hold him. In the first few days of his life she came just to hold him and stare at him. We would jokingly call him ''our'' baby because DH often had to work and go to school. She was always right there with me. A few months after DS was born she moved to AZ. Oh, that was so hard. I missed seeing her so much! We talked on the phone frequently and she visited often. It was there that she met her DH and has since moved back to CA and had two adoreable children. My two boys are a little older than her son, but, our girls are 3 months apart. Our kids play together so well. It''s so funny because they all think they are related. Even though we don''t look alike at all (she''s a gorgeous blend of hispanic, irish, and asian - I have family from Germany and Norway), people ask us all the time if we are sisters because we are so similar. We have an eerie connection that creeps us both out sometimes. One time really stands out in my mind. DH and I were going through some standard marital issues - nothing serious - and she called me and told me about a marriage book she just finished reading that she thought I would love. She had no idea we were having any sort of problem at all. I could go on and on...Oh how I adore her. She just makes me happy. Plain and simple.

What makes me love her?
While our similarities make it easy to get along, our differences really broaden both of our minds. We are both very direct, but, in a much different way. She is sensitive and kind. Me? Not so much. Her tender spirit is my favorite thing about her. She is almost always happy and just a pure delight to be around.

*sniff sniff* What a love fest!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results