shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell Me About Your Great Finds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I have two.
1) Seven years ago I bought a box of books at an auction for $1. At the bottom there was a first edition Grapes of Wrath with dust jacket. It was worth far more than a $1.

2) Four years ago I went to the pound and saw two dogs. At the time I lived with my sister and BIL and my sis was thinking about getting a 2nd dog. My BIL was opposed because the first dog (a Doberman) had been abused and was scared of people and other dogs. He was really sad. The first dog at the pound was a Rottie/Doberman mix who was about 1.5 years old and had come in as a stray. This dog knew every command I gave it from outside its cage. Sit, speak, roll over, give paw. It was really well trained. In the very next cage was the second dog- marked Great Dane/Lab mix 7 years old and at first I had to cajole her to even coming over to the inside of her pen to see me. She knew "sit" and that was all. She had an unconcerned attitude despite all the barking and chaos around her. I knew she was the one. I went home and told my sis and BIL I had stopped at the pound and saw this Great Dane and my BIL immediately said "I don't want a 7 year old Great Dane". I then mentioned the Rottie/Dobe mix and said I thought she might work too. My sister agreed to go with me to the pound the next day to see these two dogs. We got to the pound and the Rottie/Dobe was already being looked at by a man and his small daughter. I showed him all the tricks she could do. He said he had just put his elderly Rottie down yesterday and started to cry. I encouraged him to go up to the front and ask to meet her outside her pen. He did and they ended up adopting her. My sister and I went up to the front and asked to take the Dane/lab out. We had her outside and she was ok, but not really interested in us. She did seem very calm. My sister took her picture and sent it in a text to my BIL and then called to talk about adopting her and he basically hung up on her. My sister and I went in to talk to the front desk workers about her. They said that she had been there for 2 weeks, it was her last day, she was going to be put down in 3 hours if she was not adopted and Great Dane rescue would not call them back. They said they could discount her price to $35. So, my sister decided she didn't care what my BIL said and adopted her. We got her home and she immediately started being very affectionate with my BIL. Apparently, she was disinterested in us because we were women. She fell in love with my BIL and he fell in love right back. He is her whole world. The bonus is, after we got dog #2, dog #1 was no longer scared of other dogs or people, because he felt like he had her to protect him. She is worth far more than her $35 adoption fee.

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
That is a great story about the Dane!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results