shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about the Gem shows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you who have been to the gems show. Can you tell me what to expect? how long to be there? how much should I budget (DH said I can go but leave the debit card at home - only with cash)? any tips, advice or warnings? I''m so excited that there will be one here in October! yippee.. I know its a bit early, but I was excited that I wanted to get others input and plan on just stashing away some $$ for it. TIA
36.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Most vendors also take checks and credit cards so you better empty your purse.
11.gif
Maybe it was just the particular venue, but I found it to be *really* hot and stuffy inside so I recommend not wearing anything too warm. It says no cameras but in the two shows I went to, only 1 vendor asked that we don't take pictures. As for prices, there are whole ranges of things to buy; I saw gems priced from $50 up to $20,000. My first time through I spent over 2k; this last time through I bought nothing, although I was tempted by a pair of chocolate diamond earrings for 1,600. I was there with some other Pricescopers and we were there just about all day. If I was by myself I don't think I would have stayed as long.

ETA: Oh yes, and if you have any loose gems, be sure to bring them along. It's much easier to decide on a setting if you actually have the stone with you to try it out.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2009 7:42:18 PM
Author: Kismet
11.gif
Maybe it was just the particular venue, but I found it to be *really* hot and stuffy inside so I recommend not wearing anything too warm. It says no cameras but in the two shows I went to, only 1 vendor asked that we don''t take pictures. As for prices, there are whole ranges of things to buy; I saw gems priced from $50 up to $20,000. My first time through I spent over 2k; this last time through I bought nothing, although I was tempted by a pair of chocolate diamond earrings for 1,600. I was there with some other Pricescopers and we were there just about all day. If I was by myself I don''t think I would have stayed as long.

ETA: Oh yes, and if you have any loose gems, be sure to bring them along. It''s much easier to decide on a setting if you actually have the stone with you to try it out.
Thanks Kismet for all the info, I will be very very disciplined... or shall TRY
12.gif

Great Idea on the loose gems, Hopefully I will either have them mostly set by then, or just have a couple. Great! so excited
36.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 8:22:06 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 7/20/2009 7:42:18 PM

Author: Kismet

11.gif
Maybe it was just the particular venue, but I found it to be *really* hot and stuffy inside so I recommend not wearing anything too warm. It says no cameras but in the two shows I went to, only 1 vendor asked that we don''t take pictures. As for prices, there are whole ranges of things to buy; I saw gems priced from $50 up to $20,000. My first time through I spent over 2k; this last time through I bought nothing, although I was tempted by a pair of chocolate diamond earrings for 1,600. I was there with some other Pricescopers and we were there just about all day. If I was by myself I don''t think I would have stayed as long.

ETA: Oh yes, and if you have any loose gems, be sure to bring them along. It''s much easier to decide on a setting if you actually have the stone with you to try it out.
Thanks Kismet for all the info, I will be very very disciplined... or shall TRY
12.gif

Great Idea on the loose gems, Hopefully I will either have them mostly set by then, or just have a couple. Great! so excited
36.gif

Ditto to what Kismet said. Also, if you do bring loose gems to find settings for, there are vendors with benches set up so they''re set your stones for you there on the spot. I was at the same show and I only spent about $200, but boy...I could have done a LOT of damage. It was really fun and I had a blast with the other PS''ers.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2009 8:27:19 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Ditto to what Kismet said. Also, if you do bring loose gems to find settings for, there are vendors with benches set up so they''re set your stones for you there on the spot. I was at the same show and I only spent about $200, but boy...I could have done a LOT of damage. It was really fun and I had a blast with the other PS''ers.
Thanks HH- so for the rest of my gems, if I don''t get it set by then, this might be a good chance to get it all set and done. Thanks ladies for the great ideas!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve only been to 3 Intergem shows, but here''s my advice:

1) I''ve been on all 3 days, and Friday is the least busy, and since it''s the first day (at least for Intergem - don''t know how other gem shows are scheduled), you''ll have a bigger selection. Also, I had to return something once (stone fell out), so I was glad I didn''t buy the ring on Sunday.

2) Yes, it''s stuffy inside - every booth has blazing hot lights. Those same lights will make even the worst diamonds "sparkle," so if you''re considering anything with diamonds (or gems), be sure to shield the item with your hand to get a more accurate view.

3) You''ve bought LOGR settings before, so if you''re looking for semi-mounts, keep that quality in mind. I''ve found that a lot of settings are comparable to LOGR quality, but are more expensive.

4) If you do get a setting, and you think it might require some expertise to set your stone, consider taking it to your local jeweler. That way, if something goes wrong, you have some recourse. Those bench guys at the gem show are also under pressure to get the work done within a short time - not something you really want for stone setting. It''s always nice to be able to walk away with a completed item, and many times the work is just fine - I''m just saying to be careful.

Most of all, have fun!! And show us what you got afterwards!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of scam artists at gem shows. Be careful and try to stay away from gems that are overly treated, synthesized, etc . . . I wouldn't spend too much $$$ at a gem show because of this, and refunds, well, they can be a hassle if a gem doesn't turn out what it was supposed to be. I've had my share of nightmares at Intergem. I haven't gone in over ten years.

Do NOT get your gems set there!!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
D&T - thanks for starting this thread. I''ve been wondering the same things. I''ve been looking forward to our Intergem show which is in November and have already told the DH that we ARE going
1.gif
..... BUT.... now that I look again there is another, sooner, show on my birthday! Oh now that could be trouble
31.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani - Thanks for the info. I won''t be bringing too much money, and it will probably be a Friday that I will attend, I''ll skip half a day work vaca day so to speak and check it out. I love the idea of getting the gem set there, but also I don''t want to rush into things and overpay.

TL- I''ll definitely be keeping to gems that I know, theres only a few that I''m interested in peaking around for, But thank you for the advice. Sometimes seeing all these pretty rainbows kinda blindsight me, so if I''m on a slight mission then I''ll stay more focus.

Kunzite - sure thing. that''ll be fun for a birthday outing. It''ll be our anniversary during the time of the gem show here so its like a gift to me from DH. I know DH would get very bored
40.gif
, he reluctantly asked if I wanted him to come along ...lol and I''m not sure I''ll be able to focus either with two kids. So I might just be going by myself and my trusty loop. Anyone want to join me in AZ
31.gif
in October

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went once. I got to see a diamond crusted IPOD for $10,000. Gross diamonds on it too.
9.gif

I actually left empty handed. I wanted to look at loose gems and everything was either poor to okay or more money than I would pay at a gem show to an unknown vendor. It was certainly fun.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T, you will have a lot of fun! You will find things there that range from junk up to thousands of dollars. The trick is to weed out the junk. After you''ve gone to a few you will recognize those vendors that have some decent stuff. The last one I went to, they were really hurting for buyers and were willing to deal quite a lot. Make sure if you are interested in something to negotiate a good price.
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None really close to me, I just checked their schedule. Maybe next year. While I''d love to look I prefer to buy from vendors that I''m comfortable with. If I could meet some of the PS Vendors there that''d be different.

Have tons of fun and take photos if you can!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I thought you had to be a vendor to get into gem shows?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:13:38 AM
Author: szh07
I thought you had to be a vendor to get into gem shows?
Some shows might be that way, but Intergem has a huge area that''s open to the public. They do also have a trade only section in the back. Look them up online - they might have a show scheduled near you.

http://www.intergem.com/

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
OH NO! Intergem will be in town on my birthday, I''m hitting the big 3-0 this year too!!!!!!!
37.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 9:32:09 AM
Author: brandy_z28
OH NO! Intergem will be in town on my birthday, I''m hitting the big 3-0 this year too!!!!!!!
37.gif
Congratulations brandy!!

Hey, I forgot to mention, Jemco is there too, so if you need any gem jars or display cases.....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 10:23:30 AM
Author: cellentani

37.gif
Congratulations brandy!!

Hey, I forgot to mention, Jemco is there too, so if you need any gem jars or display cases.....
A good excuse to pop in to the gem shows.
11.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
37.gif
whoo hoo! it''ll be fun!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cellentani!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results