shape
carat
color
clarity

Teething...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay, all the BTDT mommies - what are your tips?

I took Daisy to the doctors yesterdaay for her shots and they confirmed that she has started teething and that is why she is pretty unhappy the last few days. She wants to bite everything, isn't feeding well - just wants to graze all the time, is very clingy and is throwing her toys out of the pram quite literally.
15.gif
She's miserable at night as well - so I have had pretty much zero sleep...

I've invested in two teething rings that can go in the fridge, two tubes of Dentinox teething gel (that she loves but not sure that it works for more than 5 minutes, one packet of Ashton & Parsons Teething Powder (homeopathic but highly recommended by pharmacist) and a large bottle of Calpol (infant paracetamol suspension).

So far the Calpol is the best, but I don't want to give her that unless she's really unhappy. She had her second set of vaccinations yesterday as well so she's doubly unhappy poor thing.

And they say it could be months before the first tooth actually appears!
23.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
my son just got his first tooth a week ago..he''s been getting up at night (which he NEVER does) but I just give him tylenol and it helps. I did this with my other 2 children when they were teething (as per peds rec). He also loves to chomp down on anything and as long as it''s clean/safe he gets it. His fave for the last 2 wks has been the bottom of a plastic bottle..I put it in the fridge so it''s cold and I give it to him. It''s so hit and miss with the kids. My first child was pretty much ok during teething but only had one day of discomfort. My 2nd child was uncomfortable for a few days....now my 3rd is going on 2 wks of discomfort esp at night.

GL

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Awww I''m sorry Pandora. Teething sucks. I''m not a mum yet, but I was a nanny to two simultaneously teething little bundles of joy. :)

I found that teething tablets worked great because then you don''t have to worry about getting the gel on the right spot. We used Hyland''s teething tabs and they were wonderful. Instant relief. They were especially great because if you gave some to them before naptime, the relief was so great that they usually ended up going to sleep. We also used to do the frozen washcloth trick which some kids go for and some kids don''t.

And don''t fret about it taking several months for the tooth to come in. With one of the little ones, it did indeed take her three months from that first crying jag to break the actual tooth, but her symptoms of teething came and went. So it wasn''t three months of pure misery.

Oh yeah and in case you didn''t know, teething can elevate their temperature slightly and make them feel warm and they also have a tendency to tug on their ears because that''s where they think the pain is coming from. These two side effects of teething make a lot of folks think baby has an ear infection and then they run the kid to the doctors unneccessarily. If she has more than a low grade fever, a runny/stuffy nose, and hates to lie flat, then she probably has an ear infection. Just an FYI.

Good luck!!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did the teething tablets and tylenol and both seems to be effective.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 9:21:17 AM
Author: mrssalvo
Ditto.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Kyle started showing signs of teething at about 3 or 4 months, and now at 6.5 months I think I finally feel a tooth breaking through. He went on and off with the symptoms, but no signs of a tooth until now. For him, frozen washcloth and anything he can put in his mouth seem to be working so far. We haven''t had to resort to tylenol or other medications yet, but he just started the ear tugging and I can feel a itty bitty bump on the bottom, so it might get a bit worse before that one pops out!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/27/2009 9:21:17 AM
Author: mrssalvo
this is what we did, we also bought smaller chewing rings, and chilled it (she could do without it), she just likes to take a bite out of everthing... furniture, blankets, couches...etc

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wah!
39.gif
Hyland''s aren''t available over here - I''ll have to get SIL to bring me some back from the States with her...

She''s running a temperature this afternoon and this evening and has refused to sleep all day until just now, so loads of fun. Her grandfather came to visit and has now gone home convinced that I have a horrible, grisley baby and my claims of having a happy smiley child are all lies
28.gif
, however he did take her out in her pram for half an hour so I could have a bit of sleep, Yay for grandparents (in small doses)!

I now have a load of cut up washcloths freezing away
1.gif

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Awww sorry Pandora! But that''s the beauty of the internet. I''m sure you could buy some from a reputable source like amazon. good luck!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, I hope those pesky teeth pop thru soon! We also used the teething tablets and Tylenol.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Get an amber teething necklace, they work wonders.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 11:29:01 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Get an amber teething necklace, they work wonders.

i was not familiar with these necklaces but did a quick search. have you used them for your children? i assume since you recommended them that they are safe. any info would be appreciated. i think this may be a nice gift for a child i know? any particular style better than the others? thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tylenol and later Motrin (when she was older). Teething just gets worst as time does on b/c the bigger ones are more painful (ie molars and K9s) and the only thing you can do it wait it out and offer her comfort. Won''t last forever thankfully.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all!

I''m presuming that your Tylenol is the same as our Calpol...

For those that used it, how often and when did you give it? Everytime they were fussy or only when things were dire?

Daisy seems a lot happier now that she''s got over the shots she had on Wednesday. Still drooling and sucking her hands - and biting everything she can get in there - but she''s not crying and her eating is a lot more normal.

I''m going to have a look for an amber necklace - they used to give babies coral, ivory or bone in the past for teething. My dad advised me to cook roast beast in the near future and wash and dry a decent sized bone for her to gnaw on!
23.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. I remember the teething days! Poor baby (and poor mommy). All of the medications and herbal aides mentioned work well. Sometimes I would let my babies gnaw on a clean cold carrot stick - the thin tip cut off, of course. Chewing very hard things seemed to help so much.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2009 8:50:55 PM
Author: Miranda
Oh my. I remember the teething days! Poor baby (and poor mommy). All of the medications and herbal aides mentioned work well. Sometimes I would let my babies gnaw on a clean cold carrot stick - the thin tip cut off, of course. Chewing very hard things seemed to help so much.
LOL, I tried the carrot thing yesterday - I even shaped it nicely with the peeler and everything so there was a handle and a bit shaped for her to bite on. I reckoned that gumming a raw carrot did not count as 'eating' and so was okay at nearly 15 weeks.

She seemed to like it for a while - and then I was sitting holding it and I ate it by mistake
23.gif
Can you believe it? Shows how bad sleep deprivation gets I suppose! DH was horrified
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did the frozen wash cloths help at all?? That''s what helped my kids... They loved chewing on them as they thawed and the cold numbed theri mouths a bit. I welll remember how hard the teething stage is... Not fun.. HUGS!!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2009 9:03:02 PM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 8/30/2009 8:50:55 PM
Author: Miranda
LOL, I tried the carrot thing yesterday - I even shaped it nicely with the peeler and everything so there was a handle and a bit shaped for her to bite on. I reckoned that gumming a raw carrot did not count as ''eating'' and so was okay at nearly 15 weeks.

She seemed to like it for a while - and then I was sitting holding it and I ate it by mistake
23.gif
Can you believe it? Shows how bad sleep deprivation gets I suppose! DH was horrified
9.gif
Whoops, I didn''t think of the ''eating age'' rules. I wouldn''t consider it food as she was just sucking and gnawing it. Even so, at 15 weeks it''s almost time for solids. (Isn''t it? It''s been a long time since I had a wee one to feed!)

Haha! Yes, I can believe you ate the carrot.
9.gif
I''ve been that tired, too. I once couldn''t figure out why the diapers weren''t working properly. I was trying to put it on backward! Oh, how I remember the exhaustion! I do hope your beautiful girl decides to sleep sometime soon.
emotion-20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results