color
clarity

Teen Mom... anybody watch?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
yellowducky|1342116013|3232895 said:
yellowducky|1342098987|3232771 said:
Tuckins1|1342091942|3232752 said:
One more question about Farrah... Why does she call her dad by his first name?

Sadly, I googled this to find out a while ago. I've read a few things about why she calls her dad Michael. One was that her mom had Farrah call her father by his first name since Michael is not Farrah's sister's biological dad. I guess Farrah's mom didn't want Farrah's sister to feel excluded. As odd as that was to me at first glance, I realized it wasn't all that strange. A friend from college also called her father by his first name, so I thought they weren't related by blood. Turns out that her older siblings, who were adopted by her mom before her mom got married or had any biological kids of her own, had grown up calling her dad by his first name and so it stuck and trickled down to the two biological kids. (For the record, her dad didn't seem to mind.) Another explanation, by Farrah somewhere, is that she did this because she was angry at her dad when he took her mom's side after the assault. However, I sort of wonder why she's not calling both her mom and her dad by their first names if that's the case.

Am I allowed to link to this? If not, please someone let me know. :) Here's the interview where she explains why she calls her dad by his first name.

http://www.momfinds.com/2011/exclusive-teen-moms-farrah-abraham-talks-regrets-after-blowing-up-at-her-parents/

Also–random question–have you always called your dad Michael?
Everyone asks this. I have a sister and we have different dads, so in all fairness to my sister I call my dad Michael just like she does and everyone else in my family. It works out fairly this way in my family. I do call my dad “Dad” sometimes. If others look at this as a disrespectful thing then you can talk to my mom about it. I never started it, I was taught to do it this way.

thanks for this, it explains a lot.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh, that's interesting. I could have sworn that Farrah mentioned Michael being her step dad at one point. Oops!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I admit that I've seen every episode of 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom. Once I saw the first season of 16 and Pregnant, and in particular Caitlyn and Tyler's story, I was addicted. I also admit that I often yell things at my TV while watching it.

I've flip-flopped about Farrah many times. I agree that her attitude is a defense mechanism because her mother is a serious PITA. But it still annoys me when Farrah has an attitude with Michael because he is nice to her. Although it is annoying that he doesn't seem to have much of a backbone around Farrah's mother. I was also really annoyed at Farrah when she got ANOTHER dog. Because the first one worked out so well.

I adore Caitlyn and Tyler. Of course. I've really enjoyed watching their story unfold over the years.

I've always sort of thought that Maci and Ryan might get back together. I always thought that Ryan just needed to grow up a little. But I watched their original 16 and Pregnant episode a few days ago and he really was a jerk after Bentley was born. Seeing little newborn Bentley again was fun, though :)

Amber is a mess. And I don't realy like Gary. He's not nearly as bad as she is, but he rubs me the wrong way. Remember when he broke up with her because he wanted to explore his feelings with some woman who worked at Wal-Mart? It just seemed like he was manipulating Amber to make her pine for him or something. He's weird and creepy to me. Leah is adorable, though. Poor kid.

I like this cast of Teen Mom more than the Teen Mom 2 cast. I can't take Janelle at all. Chelsea's constant lack of backbone with her boyfriend is too frustrating. Kailyn is kind of boring and the Leah's divorce was just sad.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. I absolutely love Caitlyn and Tyler. How they struggled with their decision. Having my own nephew who was adopted, I can't thank the birth parents enough.

Their last visit with Carly, so awesome but yet hard. I think these two are such amazing young people, way more mature than their ages.

I love the goals they have set, and that they are attaining them.

I have no interest in Amber. But am glad she is getting the help she needs.

I like Maci but she needs more of a back bone. But her heart is in the right place..

Farrah's Mom is beyond annoying. Farrah is a good Mom. I hope she makes it.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1342229730|3233582 said:
I admit that I've seen every episode of 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom. Once I saw the first season of 16 and Pregnant, and in particular Caitlyn and Tyler's story, I was addicted. I also admit that I often yell things at my TV while watching it.

I've flip-flopped about Farrah many times. I agree that her attitude is a defense mechanism because her mother is a serious PITA. But it still annoys me when Farrah has an attitude with Michael because he is nice to her. Although it is annoying that he doesn't seem to have much of a backbone around Farrah's mother. I was also really annoyed at Farrah when she got ANOTHER dog. Because the first one worked out so well.

I adore Caitlyn and Tyler. Of course. I've really enjoyed watching their story unfold over the years.

I've always sort of thought that Maci and Ryan might get back together. I always thought that Ryan just needed to grow up a little. But I watched their original 16 and Pregnant episode a few days ago and he really was a jerk after Bentley was born. Seeing little newborn Bentley again was fun, though :)

Amber is a mess. And I don't realy like Gary. He's not nearly as bad as she is, but he rubs me the wrong way. Remember when he broke up with her because he wanted to explore his feelings with some woman who worked at Wal-Mart? It just seemed like he was manipulating Amber to make her pine for him or something. He's weird and creepy to me. Leah is adorable, though. Poor kid.

I like this cast of Teen Mom more than the Teen Mom 2 cast. I can't take Janelle at all. Chelsea's constant lack of backbone with her boyfriend is too frustrating. Kailyn is kind of boring and the Leah's divorce was just sad.

Totally agree about season 2... I am sooo tired of seeing Chelsea get back together with Adam, he is such a jerk!!! Kailyn is pretty boring... I really wish Leah and Cory had made it. They are going to need each other a lot, having a child with disabilities...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Anyone know exactly what Amber was in rehab for? I know anger management, but was she in for substance abuse? She seems completely zombified sometimes... What the heck is she on?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amber is SERIOUSLY mentally ill. Personality disorder? Dunno -- but it is disturbing to watch. This is one of those things where I think those kids were too young to sign up for this kind of exposure - MUCH LESS THEIR BABIES. I really feel like MTV is exploiting them. But when I see that it's had an impact on teen birth rates, for the better -- I wonder if it's worth the "sacrifice". Greater good & all.

The GREATEST good is the wonderful Katelynn storyline. They don't sugar coat the emotional toll of adoption -- but she just comes out smelling like roses. Sure the other girls have adorable little accessories to carry around & coo at :rolleyes: but Catelynn ROCKS!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: calling her Dad "Michael" being disrespectful ... "take that up with my Mom, she told me to." .... HA! How about you cut out the DISRESPECTFUL WHINY SNIVELING TONE you use everytime you say the word "Michael" ... maybe THAT would help!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not a regular watcher (mostly b/c it makes me so sad) but I am familiar with the show. I read Amber chose jail over rehab which says a great deal about her personality and (lack of) desire to change. Unfortunately love is not enough when parenting a child. It is important but I believe in the importance of social modeling. People tend to repeat family of origin patterns (both healthy and unhealthy) and IRL, I see how unhealthy patterns, unhealthy boundaries, unhealthy priorities can really damage a person. Being a parent is an overwhelmingly huge responsibility.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1342535641|3235434 said:
Re: calling her Dad "Michael" being disrespectful ... "take that up with my Mom, she told me to." .... HA! How about you cut out the DISRESPECTFUL WHINY SNIVELING TONE you use everytime you say the word "Michael" ... maybe THAT would help!

Everything she says is whining... I wonder what she thinks of herself when she sees herself on tv?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1342552153|3235609 said:
decodelighted|1342535641|3235434 said:
Everything she says is whining... I wonder what she thinks of herself when she sees herself on tv?
She thinks she's the spitting image of Paris Hilton and/or Kourtney Kardashian and/or every Sweet 16 Party Thrower ever and/or every Bachelor-trapping-wannabe.

These tykes have grown up on ME ME ME whiner culture and, as such, they play their parts well.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I watched the last part of "Teen Mom" last night and Amber was in rehab. Hmmm...maybe she got in trouble again and chose jail over going back. I am confused now. :confused: I also saw the scene with Farrah and her sister yelling at their mom. What was odd to me is how disassociated the mom seemed to be when the sister left. She didn't look upset just kinda had a blank state as she cooed to the baby. Strange.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow. After watching this last episode, I can definitely say that Farrah's sister is just as wretched as she is!! :errrr:

I hope that Ryan's apprehension about pre-school is just for the camera... He can't be that ignorant about the benefits of early childhood education, right?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1342637813|3236214 said:
Wow. After watching this last episode, I can definitely say that Farrah's sister is just as wretched as she is!! :errrr:

I hope that Ryan's apprehension about pre-school is just for the camera... He can't be that ignorant about the benefits of early childhood education, right?

Oh his mom was totally egging him on too about preschool being for 4 yr olds, not 2.5 yr olds. Umm...no, where I come from that is Pre-K. I am assuming Lacy has legal custody so she gets to make those decisions anyways. So awkward that his new GF looked so proud when Ryan said he wasn't going to visit any schools b/c his kid wasn't going. Ummmm...okay. Live in that denial buddy.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
C'mon, ladies. These are CHILDREN we're talking about. Man, I'm 44 and I don't know enough about how stuff is done these days w/tots edumacation - because it's never been important in my life. I'm sure these 17, 18, 19 year olds have NO FREAKING CLUE what they are doing. Are y'all really SURPRISED by that?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Seeing that both Farrah and her sister are so angry at their mother makes me wonder about her. She could be one of those moms that look good on camera and is a real witch when the cameras are off.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1342684200|3236511 said:
Seeing that both Farrah and her sister are so angry at their mother makes me wonder about her. She could be one of those moms that look good on camera and is a real witch when the cameras are off.

Totally agree. I'm sure she's a piece of work off camera... Still though. The thing with the wig? They did that purposefully, to make her look silly on TV. I can agree with Farrah on being pissed about the nail polish though. If you're too tired to watch the baby, don't. Or at least put her in her bed for a nap or something...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Really wishing Viacom and DirecTV would come to an agreement so I don't have to miss more episodes! I'm stuck at home on partial bed rest and I could really use a Teen Mom fix!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1342705387|3236560 said:
heraanderson|1342684200|3236511 said:
Totally agree. I'm sure she's a piece of work off camera... Still though. The thing with the wig? They did that purposefully, to make her look silly on TV. I can agree with Farrah on being pissed about the nail polish though. If you're too tired to watch the baby, don't. Or at least put her in her bed for a nap or something...
DITTO. And that grandmom keeps trying to get custody of the baby herself! Geez. Which is worse for that poor baby: living with the sleepy grandmom who created those two monsters ... or ... her underaged monster-spawn birth mom? Gah.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, that's why I like to judge *err* I mean comment on the parents. I thought Ryan's mom was totally feeding into the "I hate preschool" camp. And Farrah's mom is odd. Yes, her daughters can be bratty and act entitled, but there is something off big time there.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1342733277|3236812 said:
Really wishing Viacom and DirecTV would come to an agreement so I don't have to miss more episodes! I'm stuck at home on partial bed rest and I could really use a Teen Mom fix!

You can watch the full episodes on MTV.com!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane said:

For some reason this week's episode says it is temporarily unavailable :(

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1342733277|3236812 said:

Mtv.com has all the episodes.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1342752239|3237006 said:
sonnyjane said:

For some reason this week's episode says it is temporarily unavailable :(

Ah, I see... Sometimes they suspend the newest episode for a week or something... try on demand.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
So.... Farrah. I just watched her completely destroy her relationship with what seemed to be a lovely young man. I hope she gets some serious counseling because it seems that she has REAL ISSUES!!! I don;t think she's in touch with the real world, or how people (non-disfunctional people) live. She has a very skewed perception of "normalcy". She is hard working and knows what she wants in life, but WOW does she have an attitude!

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok, that dinner with Farrah's boyfriend and his family...did she really say that crazy stuff to his stepmom? I had to rewind to make sure I understood her correctly.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm watching this week's episode now and I can't believe she said that to Daniel's stepmom! Wow!

Lone bird

How is that not obviously rude?

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, is Farrah for real?? Oh my...my mouth dropped open when she said what she did to Daniel's step-mom. :shock: "You're going to be a loooooonely bird...." Wow. Talk about inappropriate! She really has a lot of growing up to do. And she COMPLETELY messed things up with Daniel! It's obvious he was really into her at first, but her constant chatter about weddings/commitment/babies sent him running! I can't blame him! I couldn't believe it on the boat when she was pushing for commitment and he mentioned they'd only be together for a month and a half?? :shock: Wow. I guess because of her bad experiences (being 'abandoned' by her child's father) she wants to make sure she gets the commitment the next time, but with that attitude she's seriously going to drive every man away. And that's sad, because she's a beautiful girl and it doesn't have to be that way. I hope someone seriously talks to her after this episode because she doesn't even to know why Daniel had an attitude with her and eventually left.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also, how is the viewer supposed to believe that Amber can afford that house? She has no job! Obviously MTV pays her rent.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
blackberry16|1345077440|3252105 said:
Also, how is the viewer supposed to believe that Amber can afford that house? She has no job! Obviously MTV pays her rent.

I know! I had a sad "how is her new house nicer than mine?!" moment. I mean I have a job and I can't afford a freaking outdoor fireplace!

I also find it funny when the teen moms (Farrah) tell people that they have a child. I mean I assume everyone in the scene had to sign wavers to be on the show? They surely must notice the cameras! It makes the interactions feel fake to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results