shape
carat
color
clarity

Tarnishing of 9 carat Gold jewellery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found some old 9 carat gold jewellery in a small box which I have not looked into or worn the jewellery from for about 10 years plus. The gold is now tarnished. Can it be worse for your jewellery to not wear it or would this tarnish only be on the surface and if the jewellery had been worn that area would have worn away anyway from normal wear and tear? or does the tarnish go deeper and it is worse for the gold - I take it that 9 carat gold does not tarnish when it is being worn or is this just because the surface is being replaced due to wear and tear. The gold I wear all the time has not tarnish on it that I can see.

If old jewellery is just lying and not being worn should it be repolished to look after it or does it make no difference?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tarnish is really a surace condition. WHen 9 karat is worn a lot the tarnish is not very apparent. I suppose it polishes off in use. The tarnish is really the oxidation of the alloy since gold itself does not oxidize. There is just more alloy than gold in 9kt.

In old jewelry one often hears the word "patina" mentioned. This is the surface appearance of old metal. Really, a great part of patina is tarnish. It depends on if you think old looking looks right, or bright, shiny and new looking are best.

One rarely wants to polish away patina. It makes the piece look its age, or is used to make you believe it is old. You can use certain treatments to create patina, tarnish, to make new antique reproductions look correct. A little more of the old smoke and mirrors, or a true component of old jewelry. It all depends.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
As one who admires & seeks pieces with a nice patina, I also don't like when a piece starts to look dingy.

I rub the item w/ a piece of tissue paper to spruce it up. Another product I use sparingly is simichrome. Though I have not had any experience w/ gold metals & simichrome.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you oldminer and fire&ice.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sherlock here.
Holmes have the glues and laquers in that box analyzed.

You will find they caused the tarnish to happen.

Rub them with a silver polish clothe from the supermarket and all will be well.
Next time store them in a sealed plastic bag inside the box
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I can attest that the plastic bags do wonders for sterling...tarnish free for years!
1.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried the 3M tarnish free strips in my flute case (my flute is made of sterling silver) and I can tell you that they do not work. My flute tarnishes anyway.

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
3m makes good products

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi All

Some jewellery manafacturers are now offering Rhodium plated sterling silver to prevent tarnish. Is this a good idea!

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
For long term storage the vacuum packing machines you see advertised work wonders.
I know someone with a set of ss silverware that was polished and vacuum sealed over 15 years ago and not a speck of tarnish on them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results