shape
carat
color
clarity

tapered baguettes for OEC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brimo

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I was wondering what size tapered baguette would be proportional for an @7.65mm OEC on a size 6 ring. I was looking at all of the possibilities today, and I was a bit overwhelmed. I like the look of the Tiffany/Winston tapered baguettes whatever that''s worth. I am going to set the center stone relatively low in a basket setting. How are the tapered baguettes usually/best set? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any chance that you can post a pic of this OEC??? That will help us to gage what size tapered baguettes would go nicely with it. Also I am a HUGE fan of OEC''S and would love to see your stone, thanks!!!!
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many jewelers carry or can order a setting pre-made that would be proportionate to the size of your stone. are you thinking of going custom? If so, you can send a picture of some rings and work with the jeweler making your ring to determine the right size for the baguettes. I too love OEC''s and would love to see a picture
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2005 8:56:44 PM
Author:Brimo
Hello,
I was wondering what size tapered baguette would be proportional for an @7.65mm OEC on a size 6 ring.

The actual size depends asmuch on cut as on weight: there are very short ones (close to trapezoid or 'trap' cut) and long ones that bridge the finger on the sides of the center stone - which is considered desirable, as far as I know. Choosing between the two is a matter of taste, IMO. Perhaps the long kind is a bit more expensive for any weight. If too small or thin, baguettes can look very glassy and loose any brilliance when they get a bit dirty (a very little bit). So... any chance to get to choose among a few pairs? I would ask for half carat total or roundabout, but the actual shape would be more important.

How are the tapered baguettes usually/best set?

The usual way is to have them channel set (between two bridges of metal, one on the top and one on the bottom like this ), but some are flush set into the band like this or in small bezels like this. I've seen prong set baguettes, but I am not very sure that is safe (the tips are small and can chip, and then, those prongs are incedibly tiny and may not hold wear).
Just my 0.2. Hope this helps
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 12:32:51 PM
Author: valeria101

How are the tapered baguettes usually/best set?

The usual way is to have them channel set (between two bridges of metal, one on the top and one on the bottom like this ), but some are flush set into the band like this or in small bezels like this. I''ve seen prong set baguettes, but I am not very sure that is safe (the tips are small and can chip, and then, those prongs are incedibly tiny and may not hold wear).
Wow, Ana! Great explanation and illustrations of different ways to set baguettes! Thanks!

Brimo: Another option, if you want the sides wider is to ''double up'' and have two bags on each side.

Like the others, I''d love to see a pic or your stone...I''m a big fan of OECs!

widget

Brimo

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the input. I am getting some tapered baguettes in tomorrow to look at. I think we''ll be looking at 15 point baguettes and 20 point baguettes. We''ll see what happens. As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic, I will do it. Again, thanks everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results