shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrometsav

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Could you please advise on a suitable ring setting for a square cushion tanzanite of 4 carats. I am worried about the softness and chipping. Do you think it best to have four corner pieces such as seen in most marquise set diamonds that look like arrow heads?

Any advice from setters would be appreciated and do you need to buy a special fluid to clean it as I know dusty cloth''s are abrasive with dust being a 7 mohs scale silicate and tanzanite a 6.5!

Many thanks

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2009 11:11:12 PM
Author:Chrometsav
Hi all,

Could you please advise on a suitable ring setting for a square cushion tanzanite of 4 carats. I am worried about the softness and chipping. Do you think it best to have four corner pieces such as seen in most marquise set diamonds that look like arrow heads?

Any advice from setters would be appreciated and do you need to buy a special fluid to clean it as I know dusty cloth''s are abrasive with dust being a 7 mohs scale silicate and tanzanite a 6.5!

Many thanks
Honestly, I just wouldn''t do it. IMO tanzanite is not a ring stone - and definitely not if it has ''corners''.

To clean just use a bit of soap and warm water and air-dry it - or use canned air or a lense cloth.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I have seen tanzanite rings, I would not do it on a stone so large and expensive. With perfect cleavage, even the chevron prongs will not protect it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results